PDA

View Full Version : Thailand info sought

chinacat46
08-19-2007, 09:32
I'm considering a dive trip to Thailand and was wondering if anybody has been and had any recommendations. I'd like to do a 7-10 day live aboard out of Phuket in the Feb/March time frame. Might also spend some time on Phuket so dive resorts there would also help out.

Damnam
08-22-2007, 08:42
Having lived (and dived) here a few years we usually book our liveaboards with Sea Dragons http://www.seadragondivecenter.com/ . They have cheap but nice boats and the owner is very professional, although some of their divemasters aren't. I also recommend Sea Bees http://www.sea-bees.com/, they have one of the nicest boats on the island but are a little more expensive than their competition. The people at the Kata branch usually book you on the South Siam Divers http://www.southsiamdivers.com/ boat but the staff there are much more friendly than their main branch. I have been on the boat and it's very good but I have yet to experience their main diving staff. AFAIK they are good.

chinacat46
08-22-2007, 22:29
Thanx I'll give those boats some research. Another diver I know said he had heard Mermaid was also nice do you know anything good/bad about them?

Travelnsj
08-24-2007, 00:23
I was thinking of going a couple of years ago (cannot find my folder). If you are going to do any land base diving I understand Krabi is much better than Phuket. From everything I have heard is the only real good diving is out in the Similan Islands on a liveaboard. From what I understand last year the goverment revalued their currancy against the $....now it is a few more $$$

grasshopper
08-28-2007, 02:42
I have dove Pattaya and have been to Phuket several times. Phuket is nice, hotels are cheap unless you want to stay at a really nice (American or European hotel). The local hotels can be just as nice as the other more expensive ones. $50 a night will get you a really nice place. Baht rate is floating around 30 to the dollar right and goes a very long way over there. The people are super friendly, I don't think I have met a friendlier group of people anywhere. The beach is nice and there is a ton to do.
If it is anything like Pattaya the rates are fairly standardized. But drop them an email and see if they offer packages or will make one for you. Pattaya runs about $70 bucks for boat dives and it includes lunch and I do mean a lunch.
For airline tickets check out www.asia.com (http://www.asia.com) they have the cheapest tickets with exception of directly to China Airlines site. www. asiarooms and also asia.com have rooms. I usually check out the rates there and then check the hotels website.
There is a Mermaids out of Pattaya and I have dove with them a couple times and will dive with them when I head there in December. Real professional, diving was good, and dm's were good.

Bill22
08-30-2007, 10:22
Thanx I'll give those boats some research. Another diver I know said he had heard Mermaid was also nice do you know anything good/bad about them?

Scuba instructor at our dive club did his IDC with them and says they're great :-)

johnbaggs
09-28-2007, 00:28
Try Pattaya Dive Centre on Beach Road (www.divecentrepattya.com)
They just got a new fast boat and it's not bad. I dive with them all the time

Scubakraut
10-08-2007, 13:03
There are no "real" dive resorts as you may know them from the Caribbean. Find a cheap place on Asia.com or other online site, book it for like your first 3 nights and then Find a place you like locally in Phuket either Kata or Patong. Patong seems to have nice cheap places you can negotiate the price if you don't need a ocean front hotel and are ok walking a few minutes then you can get a nice room for less than $20 a night. use your negotiating skills. I dove with Sunrise divers over there and they are nice, nice staff and boats. The prices seem to be the same amongst all dive shops around US$70 a boat trip with 2-3 dives. Food is provided on the boat. Go and dive Similan on your live aboard and do a day trip out to Phi Phi. You can also dive the King Cruiser wreck. Plan at least a 2 week trip.

eenglish
10-16-2007, 20:11
We did a 4 day live aboard in Feb 2007 with West Coast Divers. Their shop is in Phuket with free pick-up at the Phuket Airport and most hotels. Their dock is about a 45-60 min ride from Phuket. Nice size boat, great crew. The only thing is they only have 4 day outings.

zahgurim
10-28-2007, 13:00
I'm considering a dive trip to Thailand and was wondering if anybody has been and had any recommendations. I'd like to do a 7-10 day live aboard out of Phuket in the Feb/March time frame. Might also spend some time on Phuket so dive resorts there would also help out.

I just came back from a Thailand/Phuket trip, and will be going back next Feb/March as well, with a few friends. The plan is to do a decent liveaboard trip to the Similans.
Last trip was just girl and I doing daytrips out of Chalong Bay, for our AOWs...
You won't find a dive resort there, but all the companies will pick you up at your hotel of choice.

After talking to local DM/instructors we got info for Sea Dragon, and will hook up with them for our next trip.

For the best daytrip rates, check out Seaking. Phuket Liveaboard Diving Thailand - Sea King Divers Thailand - Dive Similan Islands - Diving Phi Phi Islands & Hin Daeng (http://www.seaking-diving.com) Small operation, an expat Brit booking space out with West Coast Divers. Good DM/instructors, had a blast.

pains
10-28-2007, 22:09
I'd like to do a 7-10 day live aboard out of Phuket in the Feb/March time frame.

7~10 days liveaboard trip is OK, no problem. But if you take short trip, 2~3 days, make sure that your boat goes to Surin (Koh Bon, Richelieu Rock). Similan itself is good but usually big stuffs like mantas and whalesharks could be seen at those points. Also macro at Richelieu Rock is great.

SoSiouxme
10-29-2007, 23:30
I went to Phuket last year during the same time period. End of Feb/Beg. of March.

I arranged all my diving through Steven at www.phuket-scuba.com

He is very active on the ScubaBoard and answered all my questions before I even decided to go with him. He was great.

I went on the Colona VI for a 6 day liveaboard that included the Similans, Richeleau Rock and Hin Maeng and Hin Daeng

The Colona VI is a mid-budget boat -- all cabins had en suite bathrooms, the meals were fantastic and the boat had Nitrox. Also, they let you dive your own profiles with the dive time being 60 mins (or more on shallow dives).

Steven picked me up from the airport, delivered me to the place where the liveaboard people picked me up. While I was making final payment to Steven, he set me up with some day diving - paying attention to my experience level and what I wanted to do. I was very pleased.

If you need help with finding lodging, etc, Steven will help you out with that as well. Frankly -- all the dive agents will. They really offer full service there.

Thailand remains my favorite dive destination and it is so easy to arrange.

There are three dive agents that post often on Scubaboard - Ringo, StevenL and BatFish - you can't wrong with any of them.

Enjoy Thailand, I saw a Whale shark, a Manta, a seahorse, and two Ghost Pipe Fish. Incredible diving.

--Sioux

Aussie
10-31-2007, 20:32
I dived the Similans and around Phuket last November. I was on MV Queen Scuba for the Similans, which is a lovely boat and best of all I had a mate I met in Byron working onboard. It the middle of the range for cost but I thought the service was great. Maybe cause I had friends onboard working etc.

I also did the Friday overnight trip to Phi Phi on Calypso's Dive shop's (Kata Beach) boat the MV Greta. Which was a great trip also. I had my mates girlfriend working on that one which made it more special. I enjoyed the easy diving and the only real site I didnt like was the King Cruiser which is a car ferry wreck. It wasnt the wreck itself it was the huge numbers of divers on it. Think of 5-6 large dive boats with 10-15 divers and you get the picture.

I was over there in November and it was high season. I have a few friends who actually work over there and they told me which boat they like and also the ones which they work on. I didnt see any Whale Sharks and only one manta, but heard the next trip out they got heaps.

Aussie