PDA

View Full Version : Apollo Natural Rubber Degradation?

HydropilloW
12-16-2008, 06:49
Hello Everyone,

Hi I'm Hugo, 24, Dutch and new to the forum. Amateur diver and almost Industrial Design Engineer.

I've been interested in those Apollo bio-fins for a quite while, but as some material databases show, natural rubber has very bad UV-resistance. I was just wondering if anyone who has been using these fins for quite a while (in sunny areas) is noticing any degradation on the material of the fin.

They claim to have used 100% natural rubber without any additives. This would remark that it is very likely that the material gets damaged while laying in the sun.

HydropilloW
12-18-2008, 06:52
No replies yet? :(

Still doubt natural rubber is a good choice of material for this type of application. Salt water, sunny area's, metal clasp..

Maybe they just lie about its 100% natural :)

tc_rain
12-18-2008, 07:24
I have had mine for two years with no problems

DevilDiver
12-18-2008, 07:52
The Bio Fins are built like a tank. I have had mine for 4 years and they still look almost brand new. I can see no signs of the rubber degrading at all, in fact compared to the fins I had prior to the Apollo's (Aeris Velocity) that showed serious ware after the fist year I am starting to think that I will not be in the market for new fins for a long time........