PDA

View Full Version : Dive Report- Grand Cayman Don Fosters -12/08

mselizann
12-16-2008, 08:40
We had a great week diving with Don Fosters last week. Tuesday was our first day of diving, and we were booked for the 2 tank in the afternoon. We got to the shop early and did a shore dive, which was great. Saw a utrutle, a huge eel- almost the size of my leg, and lots of fish. Then we get on the boat. I believe there were 8 divers, nice number. We did Trinity Caves (Nice dive, easy swim throughs, lots to see) and the OV (Wreck of the Oro Verde). Very nice diving with Ryan and Paul- a good day.
Wednesday- morning two tank. 7 divers, did Ghost Mountain- (awesome dive) and Royal Palms, also very very nice with huge hang-overs. Had a good time with Netty, Kat, and Norm. In the afternoon we did the stingray city dive.....again 7 divers, 3 staff, Ryan, Nick, and Esteban. Had a great dive- many, many rays, and we saw Cataract, the blind moray. We got to pet him a little too, he was very accostomed to divers.
Friday- morning 2 tank. Nor'western rolled in, so we had to take the boat out of Red Bay. Went to Pedro's and Moat's Mazes (sp). Best dives of the week- We were the only customers on the boat, everyone was staff, working, or on their day off. Steve, Norm, both Ryans, Nick, and Kat were all there. The mazes had fantastic swim throughs- one was so full of tarpon you could not see out the other side. Ryan said they have to be careful who they take there, so I felt pretty proud of myself.:smiley20:
No shore diving- the storm was too bad. The rest of the week we ate, drank, and created much merriment. Oh- and I won a Texas Hold'Em tournament- woohoo!

unclepooty
12-16-2008, 12:03
Thanks for the report.

cowgirldiver
12-16-2008, 12:48
How were the water temps (and I guess air temps too)? I'm going to be in the Cayman's on the Aggressor end of next month and am kind of wondering what type of ws to bring. Overall (besides when the storm came in) were the seas pretty good? I hope we get to dive all three of the islands but I've heard sometimes they don't if the crossing is too rough.

mselizann
12-16-2008, 12:50
like 77-80? I wore a full 3mm insta-dry
the storm was the only issue- otherwise it was fine

Empacher
12-16-2008, 20:40
Sounds like an awesome trip! Thanks for the update!

Sansho
12-16-2008, 21:37
Thanks for posting your report - sounds like you had a great time.

Diveaholic
12-25-2008, 16:11
Thanks for the report. We will be diving with them off a cruise in May. I will contact you closer to our trip to get some Cayman insider tips.

Mecha
12-25-2008, 16:43
good report

Italianprincess
12-25-2008, 18:31
Sounds like a great time!

SynCitizen
12-25-2008, 21:00
Sounds like you had a few nice dives and some good fun. Do you have any pics you care to share??

mselizann
12-26-2008, 09:38
Didn't take many pictures diving....only a few with a disposable camera at stingray city.....and a couple around the island I posted on Facebook...

1Kwik_69
12-30-2008, 01:32
I'm a newby on here but not new to diving. I'm making my first trip to Grand Cayman in a few weeks and have been looking for a good dive op. I think you've sold me on Don Fosters. Their 3 day special is hard to beat and it sounds like they get you to some great spots!

Thanks! :smiley20:

Lulubelle
12-30-2008, 05:16
mselizann,

Thanks VERY much for this trip report. I travel alot with my work and have GOBS of hotel points. I've been trying to match good dive locations with places I can get a swanky room. Grand Cayman was one of them. May pick your brain a bit about when to go, land stuff to do, etc.

What time of year do you think is best...to avoid hordes of people, still get nice warm water, etc. I always like to escaped somewhere during our winter, but February ish may be too cold there too? I'm a warm water girl.

And let me know if you are coming to Raleigh. You'll love it here, promise.

mselizann
12-30-2008, 08:31
oh no- February there is great- water temp 78-82.........the air temp will be like 80 during the day, 73-75 at night.........
you would like it!

1Kwik_69
01-27-2009, 03:05
Update, I booked our boat dives with Don Fosters thanks to your stellar endorsment!:smiley20:

mselizann
01-27-2009, 07:08
ooo-good! when are you going? I'm jealous....

1Kwik_69
02-10-2009, 01:13
ooo-good! when are you going? I'm jealous....

I already went and came back. It was a great time. Don Foster's is first class. We had Kat as our primary dive master. She took us to some good spots. I especially liked the Eye of the Needle off the south end. We got to go there because the wind picked up big time out of the west and we had to get picked up off the south end.

I wish we could have done more boat dives but our five night trip was split in half by my nephew's wedding. That was the main reason for the trip. Darn the luck.

Good times! :smiley20:

LRDWILDER
02-10-2009, 06:20
I've done both of those dives and gotta say I really liked Trinity Caves, the oro verde I could give or take but the swim throughs at trinity were really cool. I gotta get back there someday to do those!