PDA

View Full Version : at home compressor

jerdr1
08-19-2007, 08:41
Does anyone use their own compressor and how easy is it to use and the benefits..

cummings66
08-19-2007, 08:52
I don't have one, but the benefits to me are obvious. My diveshop isn't available as often as I need them to be and sometimes I can't dive because I can't get a fill. That to me is the benefit.

I'm looking at buying one, for me the reason is Nitrox mixes. After I take my blending course I'll buy a compressor. I know how to fill tanks now and to be honest I have the knowledge of how to do PP blending of Nitrox, but I feel a course should be taken to fill in any gaps I might have.

TwIsTeD
08-20-2007, 08:27
After having looked around for a compressor, they seem to be very $$$$$.
Are there some smaller units that would be good for "home" use?

torrey
08-20-2007, 08:58
This one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Compressor-6000PSI-22CFM-SCUBA-SCBA-Paintball-HPA_W0QQitemZ120151438476QQihZ002QQcategoryZ16057Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) seems to be good for home use, as opposed to the big $10k unit that was recently on ebay. I wasn't actually looking for one, I just happened to notice them on the main scuba/snorkeling page.

subsur
08-20-2007, 10:40
i don't have one but my buddy and I are thinking of gettign one. He found one that is ~35 kg heavy, and can work from electricity or fuel (gasoline). It would take ~30-40 minutes to fill HP100 tankthe major benefit of having one is that you're not restricted by the availability and schedule of diveshops when you travel.

BSea
08-20-2007, 10:50
I don't have one, but the benefits to me are obvious. My diveshop isn't available as often as I need them to be and sometimes I can't dive because I can't get a fill. That to me is the benefit.

I'm looking at buying one, for me the reason is Nitrox mixes. After I take my blending course I'll buy a compressor. I know how to fill tanks now and to be honest I have the knowledge of how to do PP blending of Nitrox, but I feel a course should be taken to fill in any gaps I might have.

Where are you going to take the class?

cummings66
08-20-2007, 18:25
South MO most likely. I know that there is one coming up at Oronogo if you go to his webpage you'll see it listed.

Most places that do DSAT courses do that one too.

Boris42
10-27-2007, 17:05
i don't have one but my buddy and I are thinking of gettign one. He found one that is ~35 kg heavy, and can work from electricity or fuel (gasoline). It would take ~30-40 minutes to fill HP100 tankthe major benefit of having one is that you're not restricted by the availability and schedule of diveshops when you travel.

I have to ask, are you going to haul the compressor with you when you travel? 200 volt 3 phase power is not readily available is it?

ScubaToys Larry
10-27-2007, 18:29
If you own a small compressor, plan on it costing you in the $6 - $8 per tank range for fills. That's factoring in the oil changes and filters and fuel and such. Pretty expensive to run the little guys...

Puffer Fish
10-27-2007, 21:23
If you own a small compressor, plan on it costing you in the $6 - $8 per tank range for fills. That's factoring in the oil changes and filters and fuel and such. Pretty expensive to run the little guys...
I've owned on in the past and if you include the compressor cost, upkeep and all of the above, as well as all the test equipment you should have, the total cost is a lot more (unless you are filling hundreds of tanks a year).

I now just own extra tanks... a lot cheaper, and gives a lot of flexibility.

Also, buying a older, used compressor is a bit scary, if one does not spend the money to have it rebuilt and the air quality tested.

Aussie
10-28-2007, 08:07
I have a mate how has a tiny compressor on his yatch. Purpose is that he can get fills whenever he wants especially in remote places. Down side is cost of running it, ie fuel, filters, etc and how slow it takes to fill cylinders. But in his case he has no choice as the nearest compressor maybe to 1000 miles away.

I would sit down and write up all pros and cons for running your own compressor. It might be viable if you have a group of mates that dive all the time and are willing to share the costs.

Just a thought.

Aussie

in_cavediver
10-30-2007, 11:41
I've looked at a compressor, simply for trimix diving. After a lot of looking, its actually cheaper to go to a CCR and do the PP mixing of diluents (heliair) than to purchase and support the compressor.

Another option is to see if you can get a 'personal' bank setup. 4-5 bank bottles and a shop willing to 'pump' them might give you all the flexibility you need without the headache of the compressor itself. Bank bottles run $300-$400 depending on location so maybe up to $2k in initial investment.

No Misses
10-30-2007, 12:37
I've owned on in the past and if you include the compressor cost, upkeep and all of the above, as well as all the test equipment you should have, the total cost is a lot more (unless you are filling hundreds of tanks a year).

I now just own extra tanks... a lot cheaper, and gives a lot of flexibility.

Also, buying a older, used compressor is a bit scary, if one does not spend the money to have it rebuilt and the air quality tested.

I agree with Puffer. Just get some extra tanks. I can get fills 7 days per week here. So I am a little spoiled. As a personal habit, I get my tanks filled ASAP after diving. That way they are ready to go at a moments notice. Everybody that I dive with has at least 3 tanks each. If I need to, I can borrow or rent additional tanks. JM2c

tbuckalew
10-30-2007, 13:35
My instructor, on base in Germany, ended up getting his own. It was a portable job - about the size of a small generator. The reason was that he taught using his own gear out of the local rec center on base and there was no where to fill tanks near by (also - local shops would not fill US tanks due to local laws and differences in hydro stamps). So, we would drag it with us to the lakes and fill between dives. It made for a relaxing and lengthy SIT to get a half dozen tanks filled, but let us dive.

He did find one shop that would fill for him. He would use them whenever possible due to the per tank cost of the fill - it was cheaper to use the shop. I think it was a Bauer Junior series. was about $3000 back in the late 1980's but I think they must be near $4K now.

mm2002
11-10-2007, 12:32
I couldn't see owning your own compressor unless you were going to be selling a ton of fills. Even 10 tanks would be easier to haul, and cheaper than the cheapest compressor.

Flatliner
11-10-2007, 12:46
While I love having all of my own stuff, I can't imagine that it would pay. As others point out, even owning a LOT of tanks would be cheaper.

coyote
11-11-2007, 16:37
Sounds like too much work and not enough diving. :smiley1:

Iím as much of a gadget fan as anyone, but it canít seem to make the math justify a compressor. For what a small machine costs to purchase and maintain I could by 40 aluminum tanks, 15 monster-sized steel tanks or a rebreather.
I think for now Iíll just keep a few extra tanks around for those time when a fill is hard to hunt down.

anvil
11-11-2007, 23:46
Hi Guys, a subject dear to my heart.As we do a lot of diving at GT Barrier
Island, in the Hauraki Gulf in New Zealand, getting tank fills is not always easy.I opted instead for a Hookah system and havn't looked back. No BC no tanks , great for getting Crayfish (lobster) out of tight spots.I just use a pony backup and presto unlimited diving.I still tank dive as do 3 of my 5 kids.But the savings on tanks and testing are huge.

kenmendes
11-12-2007, 08:30
I don't have one but i was thinking about getting one. I found one by me and they want 1500.00 for it

mcc2318
11-26-2007, 12:21
To rich for my blood

mike_s
11-26-2007, 14:04
I have to ask, are you going to haul the compressor with you when you travel? 200 volt 3 phase power is not readily available is it?

3 phase power plugs aren't typically installed unless there is a need for 3 phase at that location.

I doubt anyone who has a home compressor will have a 3 phase compressor anyway as very few subdivisions have 3phase power and mos power companies won't run 3phase power to a residential service.

While I agree that 3 phase will run better, I just wouldn't suggest it for any type of home use.

the other prohibiting factor on installing 3 phase power is the cost. 3 phase breakers cost many times more than single phase 220volt does. I know this firsthand because everything I run at work is 3 phase and I have to buy the components. A HUBBELL 2813 (NEMA L21-30P)power plug for example can easily run $55 bucks per end. A 30amp 3-phase breaker can easily run $100 bucks.

Now... with that said, you're going to have a hard time trailering any compressor and finding a 220v single phase near where you can park the trailer to plug into also. Unless you're backing it up to a buddies garage and he has it readily available in there, etc. Anything portable you'll want gas or a genset. (of course that adds the issue of gas fumes, etc).

yeah... I figured it's not cost productive to have a compressor when my LDS is so close by and will accomadate us on fills. I think most of us would still love to have one just because of the 'wow factor" though.

WV Diver
11-26-2007, 14:33
You can't win. I use one of the American Airworks. 5.5 horsepower single tank compressor at work. It is good for us because we dive a lot of very remote areas and can't get fills.

But at a cost of $ 2500.00 plus annually and regularly maintaining it and 40 something dollars per filter and filters get used fast, you may only get a few fills depending on summer temps. You can't win.

Buy more tanks so you will have at least a few full all the time and you'll save money.

captain
12-12-2007, 16:08
I have been filling my tanks with the same compressor for the last 45 years. The main advantage is convience. Mine is gas powered and goes where I go.
Filter maintenance need not be that expensive if you repack your own from bulk media. Another plus is if you do your own yearly tank inspections you don't have to bother a VIP sticker.
To me the two most important pieces of diving equipment are a compressor and boat. Without both I probably would have given up diving long ago.

SHAGGY
12-28-2007, 07:18
We are in the process of ordering a portable 5.5hp gas powered compressor. But its gonna cost appx 2,700 + extra filters that have to be changed every 30-50 fills at appx $50 each. For us its necessary since there are remote areas on our lake that we will have to work and it would take us 2 hours+ to go fill a tank and get back to the dive site. And extra tanks wouldnt have really helped us much more because this compressor wont take up much more space than a couple more tanks would. But,.... for myself I would just buy a few more tanks.

jbres1
12-28-2007, 22:43
I just purchased a small Airetex W31 compressor.
So far I have over $5,000.00 into it , and have yet to fill any tanks.
The compressor was $2,900.00, the 6 storage tanks were $1,200.00, the valves and fittings and Stainless steel tubing was over $600.00, then add in the moisture indicator, fill hose, manifolds and all of the little stuff and your at +5k.
I still need to purchase an o2 sensor and o2 tank regulator for nitrox.
When all said and done I will have a storage bank of 2,100 cu ft. of nitrox ready for when ever I want it.
I sure could get alot of air fills at the LDS with the 5K, but I look at my project as a way of saving time not money.
And thats my story , and I'm sticking to it!

Jim Breslin

cummings66
12-31-2007, 14:44
That's the big benefit of owning anything, it's on your schedule and not the other guys. Now for those using Trimix it's very affordable compared to paying for the mix.

in_cavediver
12-31-2007, 14:49
That's the big benefit of owning anything, it's on your schedule and not the other guys. Now for those using Trimix it's very affordable compared to paying for the mix.

Yeah, but CCR's also look cost competitive for trimix divers.

Sad isn't it.

(still looking to get a CCR......)

jeepbrew
01-25-2008, 08:39
I would love to have one as well, but my LDS fills my tanks for free, so it is hard to spend that kind of $$ on a compressor.

kancho
01-25-2008, 09:48
I just purchased a small Airetex W31 compressor.
So far I have over $5,000.00 into it , and have yet to fill any tanks.
The compressor was $2,900.00, the 6 storage tanks were $1,200.00, the valves and fittings and Stainless steel tubing was over $600.00, then add in the moisture indicator, fill hose, manifolds and all of the little stuff and your at +5k.
I still need to purchase an o2 sensor and o2 tank regulator for nitrox.
When all said and done I will have a storage bank of 2,100 cu ft. of nitrox ready for when ever I want it.
I sure could get alot of air fills at the LDS with the 5K, but I look at my project as a way of saving time not money.
And thats my story , and I'm sticking to it!

Jim Breslin

Provide airfills to re-coup some of the costs..

mike_s
01-25-2008, 22:45
Providing air fills for others.... boy that could be a whole other thread.

I'm sure most dive buddies wouldn't mind helping offset compressor operating costs, but think of the liability if something ever happened. (dive accident).

If the diver died, most likely you are liable for litigation (even if it's not your fault.) Just like you'd be if you let someone borrow your scuba gear.

You might think "their family wouldn't sue me because we were best buddies" but thinks change big time with life changing events like this in the victums family.

Lawyers would paint your setup as a "homebrew mixing station" that is full of possible contaminants, wrong mixture percentages, etc.

Anyone ever had a lawyer look at the liability of a home fill station and letting others use it?

note; Dive shops have insurance. Of course they can get sued, but this is part of what their insurance covers because this is a high liability sport.