PDA

View Full Version : Marking Tanks

chicken
12-16-2008, 11:49
I'm finally going to buy my own tanks and quit renting. I was trying to figure out a way to mark my tanks so I would know they were mine when travelling on a boat or with other divers.

My first thought was use my permanent marker and put my initials on the neck. While watching the U869 NOVA episode I saw Richie Kohler had his name on his tanks. It looked like the same type of graphics I used for my boat registration. I think using the same type of material would rub off after a couple of tank swaps.

How can I mark my tanks like Richie did? I think CHICKEN would look good adn I would never lose my expensive investment.

No Misses
12-16-2008, 12:10
I use a Sharpie permanent marker. It does wear off over time. You will need to redraw every 6-12 months depending on the amount of diving that you do. I have a major aversion to any type of stickers. They hold salt deposits and can be a source for corrosion.

Rainer
12-16-2008, 12:33
2" lettering (initials or last name) from HD.

texdiveguy
12-16-2008, 12:37
Peel off mail box reflective letters or numbers....work good.

captain
12-16-2008, 12:43
I use a stencil and paint numbers on them. That way I know which are mine and which one I used.

DMWiz
12-16-2008, 12:48
Sharpie on the neck or paint your name, reapply as needed.

mike_s
12-16-2008, 13:46
I use a Sharpie permanent marker. It does wear off over time. You will need to redraw every 6-12 months depending on the amount of diving that you do.

Sharpie or get a "paint marker" for a little thicker layer.

[/quote] I have a major aversion to any type of stickers. They hold salt deposits and can be a source for corrosion.[/quote]

2" lettering (initials or last name) from HD.

Peel off mail box reflective letters or numbers....work good.

stay away from stickers. they hide salt/moisture and can promote rust.

who wants their new steele tanks to have rust on them.

Which leads to this stupid sticker VIP thing and Nitrox stickers. I've seen dive shops complain about stickers on a tank to someone else when they were having a VIP. yet stupid dive shops put stickers on tanks.... I give up.:smilie40:

texdiveguy
12-16-2008, 14:31
[quote=texdiveguy;254623]Peel off mail box reflective letters or numbers....work good.

Have never had an issue on steel tanks rusting out under these stickers.... it's a possible situation if you dive salt water all the time (which I don't) and never rinse the tanks.....good point for those that are in salt water allot. I use these type stickers for both intials and deco MOD's and O2. Back gas blends/MOD are placed with Sharpie on tape at the cylinder neck.

chicken
12-16-2008, 15:58
If I make a cool stencil, will it damage my aluminum tank to spray paint it?

DMWiz
12-16-2008, 16:19
That should be just fine... probably the best solution.

pir8
12-16-2008, 16:26
Just don't bake the paint on.

SkuaSeptember
12-16-2008, 16:41
The stencil works really well, give it a shot of primer before the finish coat. I do this to mark all my tanks for lobstering.

chicken
12-16-2008, 16:50
I tried to get the tank into my oven for a baked on finish but...

Thanks for the feedback. I think the paint and stencil will do what I am looking for.

Rainer
12-16-2008, 18:10

Just hasn't been an issue with galvanized steels or painted ALs. A rinse after each day of diving and an occasional replacement of stickers keeps rust away.

Empacher
12-16-2008, 20:34
I marked the neck of my Steel tank with 2 different color sharpies. I can tell which tank is mine when there are a bunch of them standing up. I have about 15 dives on it and it shows no signs of wearing off...

ReefHound
12-16-2008, 20:52
To be honest, there's enough variety in tanks plus the "age" effects that I've never not been able to notice which tanks are mine at a glance.

There are lots of ways to mark your tanks. I've not had a problem with stickers on aluminum tanks and I think if stickers were all that much of a problem we'd be seeing massive numbers of tanks condemned due to corrosion around VIP stickers. Markers are probably safest though, just a bit more effort and somewhat limited. One could also make their tanks stand out with colorful tank wraps, boots, valve caps, or even just tie a yellow ribbon 'round the ole tank valve.

sea princess
12-16-2008, 21:13
Seems like nail polish could work if it doesn't damage anything.

cummings66
12-16-2008, 21:47
IMO any sticker on a cylinder will be removed when I do a visual on them, I prefer for you to remove them as it saves me time. Some of those stickers are very tough to get off and I almost never see problems under them for whatever that is worth, but it is possible. I wouldn't complain if you used them to identify your cylinder because I think it's pretty safe most of the time. If your cylinder is all scratched up I might think there are better ways to do it though.

I believe if you dive in salt water that you should get in the habit of rinsing your gear off as soon as you can, don't let it dry. Rinse it good. Do that and you should be safe, but remember that boots and salt water will often cause problems because many boots retain water for quite a while. I've moved a cylinder that was used the week before and found water still in the boot. A sticker over a scratch with corrosion forming would be a bad idea and I can see that causing problems.

So I don't have any issues with using stickers or markers to identify your cylinder as long as the paint, coating or surface is in good clean shape.

DMWiz
12-16-2008, 22:12

I've seen that done, but just the fact that a guy uses fingernail paint would be a subject for endless ours of laughter on the dive boat:smiley36:

sea princess
12-16-2008, 22:17

I've seen that done, but just the fact that a guy uses fingernail paint would be a subject for endless ours of laughter on the dive boat:smiley36:

I can totally understand that, what was I thinking?

Rainer
12-16-2008, 23:58
IMO any sticker on a cylinder will be removed when I do a visual on them, I prefer for you to remove them as it saves me time. Some of those stickers are very tough to get off and I almost never see problems under them for whatever that is worth, but it is possible. I wouldn't complain if you used them to identify your cylinder because I think it's pretty safe most of the time. If your cylinder is all scratched up I might think there are better ways to do it though.

I believe if you dive in salt water that you should get in the habit of rinsing your gear off as soon as you can, don't let it dry. Rinse it good. Do that and you should be safe, but remember that boots and salt water will often cause problems because many boots retain water for quite a while. I've moved a cylinder that was used the week before and found water still in the boot. A sticker over a scratch with corrosion forming would be a bad idea and I can see that causing problems.

So I don't have any issues with using stickers or markers to identify your cylinder as long as the paint, coating or surface is in good clean shape.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly.

CFDAlden
12-17-2008, 00:20
I'm in the sharpie set too. I do like the special stencil idea, though.

DMWiz
12-17-2008, 05:32

Well, you're a girl... you can wear pink everything and guys would be glad you're in the dive boat - period!:smiley2:

Crimediver
12-20-2008, 08:30
Mark your stuff by peeing on it. It is cheap and no one will steal it later.

I use nail polish to coat the primers and neck of the .223 bullets I use for my powerhead. No one has laughed at that, at least not where I could hear it....

chicken
12-20-2008, 10:57
[quote=Crimediver;255607]Mark your stuff by peeing on it. It is cheap and no one will steal it later.

Thats a great idea. I never thought buying beer could be considered a dive gear purchase!

Splitlip
12-20-2008, 16:29

Booorrriing. :)

DMWiz
12-20-2008, 20:42

Booorrriing. :)

Or your favorite "happy" symbol... Not that there's anything wrong with that!:smiley36:

Splitlip
12-20-2008, 21:02
Hey!
I'm Captain America!

DMWiz
12-21-2008, 07:04
Hey!
I'm Captain America!

With cape and everything uh? Like I said, not that there's anything wrong with that! :smilie39:

chicken
12-21-2008, 08:22
Captain America, what did you use to paint the tank with? I could spot that tank from two charter boats over!

Splitlip
12-21-2008, 09:17
Captain America, what did you use to paint the tank with? I could spot that tank from two charter boats over!

I used red marine paint. A lot of the shops and charters put a simple blue, green, red marking. I did the same but cut a star out of masking tape and used a white paint pen to color it and make the stripe.

Originally I was going to stencil my initials, but I thought that might make them less desirable for resale.

The shops I get my on any day will have at least a hundred tanks in their fill areas. This does make them easier to spot.

Mecha
12-21-2008, 16:10
whatever you mark it with i guess you need to make sure you can spot your tank in a crowd of tanks getting filled

sea princess
12-21-2008, 16:26

Well, you're a girl... you can wear pink everything and guys would be glad you're in the dive boat - period!:smiley2:
Being a girl does have some advantages:smiley2:

DMWiz
12-21-2008, 16:45
I'm afraid to say this, but diving is one of the only activities where I wish I was a tiny little girl diving tiny little tanks with mad crazy bottom times.

divinginn
12-21-2008, 21:27
sharpie

sea princess
12-21-2008, 23:48
That would be great but you need a buddy that is the same otherwise you still have to surface when they are low on air.

Back to the OP I like the idea of using marine paint. If and when I get my own tanks I think this is how i will mark mine too..does it come in pink?

DMWiz
12-22-2008, 06:06
Who needs a buddy when you have plenty of air!:smiley36: j/k

ektess1
12-22-2008, 12:45
Sharpies work great. Just reaply when they fade. No worries about corrosion. Sharpies come in many colors. You can be as creative as you like.

Italianprincess
12-22-2008, 15:43
I like the paint/stencil idea!
Hey do you think I could fit a tank into a Christmas Stocking????
And Tim, you remind me of a kid with A.D.D.!!! Hehe!!! (Joking!)

Splitlip
12-22-2008, 16:23
I like the paint/stencil idea!
Hey do you think I could fit a tank into a Christmas Stocking????
And Tim, you remind me of a kid with A.D.D.!!! Hehe!!! (Joking!)

What? Huh?

Nevermind.

chilly willy
02-09-2009, 16:02
I have custom made vinyl ID stickers made by a local printer, I replace them every VIP.

robjoubert
02-09-2009, 16:26

I've seen that done, but just the fact that a guy uses fingernail paint would be a subject for endless hours of laughter on the dive boat:smiley36:

Can you tell, at a glance & across the boat's dive deck, the difference between nail polish and enamel paint? :smiley36:

CompuDude
02-09-2009, 16:54
Posted many times, in many threads, but I like a paint pen plus a simple repeating pattern. No worry of corrosion, makes the tank easy to spot in a crowd, and they're not YOUR initials, when it comes time to resell the tank.

I think Splitlip took my idea and ran with it. LOL The paint is layered on a wee bit thick, however, IMO... technically could develop cracks and hold water, leading to corrosion. Purty, though!

http://h2ogeek.com/divegear/misc/HP100-IMG_1948%20(Small).JPG

Landlocked Amphibian
02-09-2009, 17:28
Check out Scuba Hides (http://www.scubahides.com/index.php). They are not stickers, and are removable and reusable. They say they don’t promote rusting but I don’t know.

DMWiz
02-09-2009, 17:33

I've seen that done, but just the fact that a guy uses fingernail paint would be a subject for endless hours of laughter on the dive boat:smiley36:

Can you tell, at a glance & across the boat's dive deck, the difference between nail polish and enamel paint? :smiley36:

You don't need my approval for using nail polish... go right ahead!:smiley2:
BTW, nice avatar!

CompuDude
02-09-2009, 18:19
Check out Scuba Hides (http://www.scubahides.com/index.php). They are not stickers, and are removable and reusable. They say they don’t promote rusting but I don’t know.

"They" do say that (the infamous they, no doubt! LOL), and PSI is as reputable as it gets in terms of the endorsement, but I still can't bring myself to understand how they're ok with a thin layer of shrink wrap plastic that is guaranteed to retain moisture against the tank. Even if it is removed and inspected once per year, that's potentially an entire year of trapped moisture... because WILL get under that.

Maybe it's ok on aluminum tanks in fresh water, but I can foresee many problems with steel tanks in salt water...

Splitlip
02-09-2009, 20:14
Posted many times, in many threads, but I like a paint pen plus a simple repeating pattern. No worry of corrosion, makes the tank easy to spot in a crowd, and they're not YOUR initials, when it comes time to resell the tank.

I think Splitlip took my idea and ran with it. LOL The paint is layered on a wee bit thick, however, IMO... technically could develop cracks and hold water, leading to corrosion. Purty, though!

http://h2ogeek.com/divegear/misc/HP100-IMG_1948%20(Small).JPG

You betcha!

Landlocked Amphibian
02-09-2009, 21:11
Check out Scuba Hides (http://www.scubahides.com/index.php). They are not stickers, and are removable and reusable. They say they donít promote rusting but I donít know.

"They" do say that (the infamous they, no doubt! LOL), and PSI is as reputable as it gets in terms of the endorsement, but I still can't bring myself to understand how they're ok with a thin layer of shrink wrap plastic that is guaranteed to retain moisture against the tank. Even if it is removed and inspected once per year, that's potentially an entire year of trapped moisture... because WILL get under that.

Maybe it's ok on aluminum tanks in fresh water, but I can foresee many problems with steel tanks in salt water...

Ya, that is what I was thinking.