PDA

View Full Version : numbness finger tips at the ed of a dive

tal_y
12-17-2008, 09:50
Hi,
In recent dives , I felt num finger tips ( in one hand) , the feeling faded away within 3 days.
It happened to me this time and once again a month ago in another day of diving.
the diving profile , is quite relaxed, within the table and computers limit ( 25 m , 40 minutes and another dive of 10 m for 50 minutes , with 3 hrs land interval).
Does any one familiar with such an issue?

Thanks

WV Diver
12-17-2008, 09:53
Your best bet of course is to contact the folks at DAN and let them answer your questions.

Was it cold water and were you wearing tight fitting gloves or was your suit tight in the arms or at the wrists? Were your dive times and depths similar when it happen previously? 40 and 50 minute dive times with restriction/depth could cause this but I wouldn't think it would take 3 days to correct itself. Have you had previous circulation problems in the past?

cmburch
12-17-2008, 09:56
I have only had numbness due to cold finger tips that lasted only minutes after getting out of the water.

I have had that repetitive motion numbness in some fingers - carpal tunnel?

It may be best to see a doctor if it is a circulation issue.

wgt
12-17-2008, 10:13
I'll pm you.

Hi,
In recent dives , I felt num finger tips ( in one hand) , the feeling faded away within 3 days.
It happened to me this time and once again a month ago in another day of diving.
the diving profile , is quite relaxed, within the table and computers limit ( 25 m , 40 minutes and another dive of 10 m for 50 minutes , with 3 hrs land interval).
Does any one familiar with such an issue?

Thanks

Big John
12-17-2008, 10:42
Your post doesn't say but were you diving nitrox or air. Tingling in the fingers is a symptom of o3 toxicity. woops, O2.

monant
12-17-2008, 12:14
Your post doesn't say but were you diving nitrox or air. Tingling in the fingers is a symptom of o3 toxicity.

O3? I think that's ozone.

n2blue
12-17-2008, 12:31
Your profile seems well within limits, 40m @25m and 50m @10m w/ a 3hr SI...without additional info. such as mix, number of repetitive days, water temp, etc. it's hard to day but I suspect that you either have broken/injured the affected hand previously or perhaps have arthritis and you are more susceptible to the symptoms due to cooler water temp., tactile exercises, and pressure differential. I recommend a follow-up w/ your Dr. since the symptoms have subsided and then a px call to DAN! :smiley20:

dannybot
01-03-2009, 16:16
It could also be a problem with your neck like a bulging disc or arthritis, think about your posture while diving. Was your neck extended severely? that could put pressure on the nerves. It might be worth seeing a doctor and getting an MRI to rule out any significant injuries or problems.

snagel
01-04-2009, 09:26
I'm not a doctor.....

Was the numbness in all the fingers or a combination?

Thumb, 1st, Middle: Indicates a nerve issue in the carpal tunnel.

Ring & Pinky: Indicates a nerve issue with the Ulner nerve.

If numbness in all fingers, typically an issue with circulation.

Again, I'm not a doctor and if this continues would definately be something to talk to a doctor about.

Snagel

Italianprincess
01-04-2009, 09:56
As a nurse, I have to agree with the others, it doesn't sound like a diving problem, though the diving could be agrevating another condition. Sounds like you should talk to your doctor about this one.

dannybot
01-04-2009, 18:57
I forgot to mention, I am a nurse, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently!