PDA

View Full Version : Replace the pull dump with an elbo?

plc196
12-19-2008, 06:35
I'd like to replace the pull dump on my standard vest tye bc with an elbo and a shorter corrogated hose and shorter lp bc inflator hose. This would shorten everything up and still leave me with two over pressure valves on the bc. Any opinions?

chicken
12-19-2008, 07:32
I ordered my Zeagle Escape this way. I see the pull dump as another failure point in my gear. I never even realized there was such a feature until a few years ago when I accidently pulled on the hose and air escaped from my BC! The cool thing about Zeagle is the ability to custom order BC's...so the answer after my long winded reply is I don't see why you couldn't do that.

ppo2_diver
12-19-2008, 09:28
It's pretty easy to do. Keep in mind that some manufacturers will put aquaseal or some sort of sealant on the pull dump to seal the connection with the corrugated hose. You may need to use a small, straight screw driver to gently pry it apart. Do not force anything or you risk breaking/tearing something important. When I swapped out mine, I was able to sell the pull dump and hose for a few bucks. Paid for the new hose.

awap
12-19-2008, 09:46
I would expect that will run you over $50 with just a very small payback in reduced risk of a relatively minor failure. Still a good move if you don't mind the cost. What brand of BCD are you talking about?

Damselfish
12-19-2008, 10:18
I think inflator hose pull dumps are a bad idea, I've seen at least one break and I've had a few apart which have not seemed that sturdy. But my solution to this is easy and free - I simply don't use them. I have a dump on the other shoulder and one at the bottom which I always use instead.

awap
12-19-2008, 10:29
I think inflator hose pull dumps are a bad idea, I've seen at least one break and I've had a few apart which have not seemed that sturdy. But my solution to this is easy and free - I simply don't use them. I have a dump on the other shoulder and one at the bottom which I always use instead.

Even not using it, there is still a spring loaded seat and other seals in there that can fail and start leaking either because the seat, the spring, or an o-ring/gasket does not do its job . The leak will probably be quite small but you may notice your having to add gas to your BCD at unusual times during the dive. They tend to be quite manageable but still a minor PITA. So you might want to keep an eye on it and make the change when it starts to give you a problem.

ppo2_diver
12-19-2008, 10:35
I've seen failures such as minor leaks and the hose completely coming off when pulled. All underwater. Replacing them would be a wise investment. The cost shouldn't be too high. The elbow should run about $12. The hose may be more expensive along with the LP inflation hose. But you find many deals on the internet for people trying to sell off extra stuff.

ReefHound
12-19-2008, 10:36
I agree with awap, doesn't seem to be very cost effective. If ordering new then sure, go with the elbow and shorter hoses.

As Damsel said, the easiest way to avoid pull dump failures is simply not to use it. And I think that sometimes people get carried away with "streamlining". It's a great concept and goal but I think the drag from a few extra inches of hose is negligible. I could be wrong. I would love to see someone conduct tests that actually measure the effects of various things.

ReefHound
12-19-2008, 10:43
I would be more concerned with buying a hose from some guy getting rid of stuff than the possibility of a small leak in the BC dump valve.

DougNR
12-19-2008, 10:52
[quote=ReefHound;255419]I agree with awap, doesn't seem to be very cost effective. If ordering new then sure, go with the elbow and shorter hoses.

I agree with ReefHound here, and to elaborate - many plastics and vinyls are not glued but ultrasonically welded. This could make the removal of the original shoulder hardware a bit tricky and might be a greater failure point in the future after the work than just leaving it alone in the first place.

Again, the suggestion to either order it with the elbow from the start or leave it alone sounds like the best action to me.

Regards,

Doug

texdiveguy
12-19-2008, 11:45
[quote=ReefHound;255419]I agree with awap, doesn't seem to be very cost effective. If ordering new then sure, go with the elbow and shorter hoses.

I agree with ReefHound here, and to elaborate - many plastics and vinyls are not glued but ultrasonically welded. This could make the removal of the original shoulder hardware a bit tricky and might be a greater failure point in the future after the work than just leaving it alone in the first place.

Again, the suggestion to either order it with the elbow from the start or leave it alone sounds like the best action to me.

Regards,

Doug

A 'thumbs up' to these comments in this particular case.

DMWiz
12-19-2008, 16:03
But my solution to this is easy and free - I simply don't use them. I have a dump on the other shoulder and one at the bottom which I always use instead.

I think that sometimes people get carried away with "streamlining". It's a great concept and goal but I think the drag from a few extra inches of hose is negligible.

I would be more concerned with buying a hose from some guy getting rid of stuff than the possibility of a small leak in the BC dump valve.

+1 If it ain't broke don't fix it!

To the op, is there a particular reason you would like to replace it?
Do they bother you or get in the way?

Damselfish
12-19-2008, 16:17

Even not using it, there is still a spring loaded seat and other seals in there that can fail and start leaking either because the seat, the spring, or an o-ring/gasket does not do its job . The leak will probably be quite small but you may notice your having to add gas to your BCD at unusual times during the dive. They tend to be quite manageable but still a minor PITA. So you might want to keep an eye on it and make the change when it starts to give you a problem.

but I don't think that dump itself is any more likely to go bad than any of my other dumps.

awap
12-19-2008, 16:53

but I don't think that dump itself is any more likely to go bad than any of my other dumps.

I agree. Any difference is very small. The seat is a bit more complex than a simple OPV but that does not necessarily mean lower reliability as long as quality of the seat is good.

cmburch
12-19-2008, 20:51
Link to parts: Dive Rite Air Cells (Wings) for Singles and Doubles (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/aircells.shtml)

I actually went the other direction on my Oxycheq Mach V Extreme because that was what I was use to. My new Dive Rite inflator Octo has a pull valve. I take good care of my equipment. I am thinking about reevaluating my equipment and simplifying or minimizing the "Bells and Whistles".

mrm777
12-21-2008, 00:45
I've seen failures such as minor leaks and the hose completely coming off when pulled.