PDA

View Full Version : "Tank Hides" - Take Skins

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 11:12
Has anyone seen these? I saw someone with one on their tank and it was very neat :smiley20: They also do custom designs too! Less then $20 and good for awhile - seems like a pretty neat product!

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7073/shdtczv8.jpg

Here's some FAQs from their web site

ScubaHides are not stickers - they are removable and reusable and will last for many years.
ScubaHides do not promote the rusting or pitting of tanks. (see below)
ScubaHides do work equally well on both aluminum and steel tanks.
ScubaHides do fit any tank size tank including 12 and 15 liter. (excluding pony bottles)
ScubaHides do not cover VIP inspection stickers or the hydro-testing stamp.
ScubaHides do not slip. Once they are on, they won't come off until you cut them off.
ScubaHides do not alter buoyancy.
ScubaHides are customizable with your graphics and logos.Seems like a good way to stand out from the crowd - Dont think your dive buddy would have ANY problem finding you :smiley36:

ScubaToys Larry
08-19-2007, 11:18
We used to carry them... Pain in the ....

Have to buy new shrink each year when you get a vis... Really, I don't care how pretty my tank is. I care how pretty the reef is. And if your buddy needs this to find you... get a new buddy.

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 11:21
Aww..way to ruin the fun of it Larry :smiley19:

ScubaToys Larry
08-19-2007, 11:26

Oh.. I'm sorry.

Oh yes :smiley20: These are really, really neat! I think you should buy a bunch so you can swap them out every other week! :smiley32: Wouldn't that be fun! :smiley20:

Just call us up, and I think we can sweep the dust off some and sell them to you! You'll love them! :emot-woot:

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 11:27
K, calling right now....

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 11:29
Noone answered...Guess ill have to call....:smiley36:

fire diver
08-20-2007, 08:19
I thought about buying some of these when I first got my tanks. But after seeing how the vis and nitrox stickers take a beating from each dive outing, I decided it wasn't worth it.

FD

NitroWill
08-20-2007, 09:04
I didnt necessarily like any of the above designs..but a more simple pattern would be neat to have..Easily identified underwater and noone can mistake their tanks for yours..

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 09:06
Why cover your tanks...I don't understand

NitroWill
08-20-2007, 09:12
because its DIFFERENT!

Centerius
08-20-2007, 09:27

Oh.. I'm sorry.

Oh yes :smiley20: These are really, really neat! I think you should buy a bunch so you can swap them out every other week! :smiley32: Wouldn't that be fun! :smiley20:

Just call us up, and I think we can sweep the dust off some and sell them to you! You'll love them! :emot-woot:

:smilie39: The sad thing is that's probably what most LDS will tell you!

NitroWill
08-20-2007, 09:31

Oh.. I'm sorry.

:smilie39: The sad thing is that's probably what most LDS will tell you!

For stuff like this I couldnt really care what an LDS tells me as it is all personal preference..

It's basically like telling me dont get orange gloves - get only black! Or dont get a colorful slap strap for my mask...Those opinions mean nothing to me :smiley21:

mike_s
08-20-2007, 12:24
I've got a brand new one still in the wrapper that I'll sell to you for half price of what a new one cost. (plus shipping, which should be cheap).

I think it's the lifesaver one, but I'd have to check. PM me if interested.

NitroWill
08-20-2007, 12:26
I've got a brand new one still in the wrapper that I'll sell to you for half price of what a new one cost. (plus shipping, which should be cheap).

I think it's the lifesaver one, but I'd have to check. PM me if interested.

No thanks :smiley36:
Like I said, I like the idea - but not the designs..

Need something more simple or not as corny

Hollywood703
08-21-2007, 14:43
and the fact that every year you need to reapply the shrink wrap after your visual inspection.

NitroWill
08-21-2007, 14:46
and the fact that every year you need to reapply the shrink wrap after your visual inspection.

That is a slight drawback - but its really not THAT big of deal..Until they come out with some non-tacky designs though - ill stick with my boring tanks!

coyote
08-21-2007, 16:47
Tanks airbrush real easy. A local airbrush shop here charges $30. Thatís more then a skin, but itís less hassle and you can get any design you want.

NitroWill
08-21-2007, 17:15
Tanks airbrush real easy. A local airbrush shop here charges $30. Thatís more then a skin, but itís less hassle and you can get any design you want.

Thats a pretty good idea. Did you get this done? Any pics? I wouldnt want anything complex..Dont know what though..

coyote
08-21-2007, 17:40
Tanks airbrush real easy. A local airbrush shop here charges $30. That’s more then a skin, but it’s less hassle and you can get any design you want.

Thats a pretty good idea. Did you get this done? Any pics? I wouldnt want anything complex..Dont know what though..

Not yet. I brought a tank down for the guy to look at and quote a price. But I’m still looking for the perfect graphic. :)

Hollywood703
08-22-2007, 11:26
Heck i never thought of airbrushing......I wonder if it would work on galvanized tanks.....I have a buddy who tinkers in it.....maybe i'll have him try it on one of my older tanks....

loudgonzo
08-29-2007, 12:43
Looks interesting, but I'll stick to the 2 brand stickers I have on mine, one from Atomic and another from Zeagle

mm_dm
08-29-2007, 13:04
I have my tanks out almost every weekend. Off the truck, on the truck, clanging around with the other tanks and then repeat the process in reverse. All the stickers on my tanks are nicked and beat up.

thor
08-29-2007, 13:33

I have heard that painting a tank can interfere with the integrity of the tank. Don't know why or how, but I have heard that.

in_cavediver
08-29-2007, 18:32

I have heard that painting a tank can interfere with the integrity of the tank. Don't know why or how, but I have heard that.

The concern in painting is whether the paint is a baked finish or heated in some way during the process. Never heat your tank to dry it, paint it, etc. It can/will change the metallurgy.

Charlotte Smith
08-29-2007, 18:37
I thought it was cool but I had already put some thought to what Larry had said so I never ordered any....

Flatliner
08-29-2007, 20:36
I saw them at an LDS I was at. Thought they were very cool but I didn't like any of the designs either.

Xspect
08-29-2007, 20:37
Funny I dont think I ever seen this tanks skins anywhere

texarkandy
08-29-2007, 22:13
What???? !! And screw up my snappy new candy-color tanks I got from ST?!!?

Yeah, yeah, I know they'll get scratched up eventually - but they look pretty snappy for now!! (I'll go for the scuffed-tank, duct-tape-on-the-BC, seen-it done-it all, experienced diver look later when I actually am one!)

mike_s
08-29-2007, 22:36
Funny I dont think I ever seen this tanks skins anywhere

Shameless Plug: I've got one brand new in the wrapper that I'll sell you. I think it's the lifesaver or enegizer battery one.