PDA

View Full Version : Steel v. Aluminum

DDGator
07-11-2007, 12:59
I have done all my diving (not much) with AL80s.
<DIV></DIV>Can someone tell me (or point me to a link) that describes all the pros and cons of steel v. aluminum tanks?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks in advance.</DIV>

DDGator
07-11-2007, 13:10
Thanks -- just what I was looking for... and quick too!

AB Diver
07-12-2007, 10:46
Own two steel 120's and four steel 100's (two set for Nitrox).
<DIV></DIV>Feel this is the only way to go.

jpsexton
07-12-2007, 12:05
I know this is not very popular with some more experienced divers but I actually prefer the AL80. I have a decent SAC rate and after an hour dive I'm always back on the boat with 1000 psi or so. They are plentiful and cheap. And whether I'm on a charter in some far away land or in the quarry in my back yard I'm always diving the same configuration. It's a personal decision, ask yourself what you need from a tank and then decide.

frankc420
07-15-2007, 00:16
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/tanks.shtml

Who needs Scubaboard when we have you! smileys/smiley17.gif

medic001918
07-15-2007, 06:32
Looks like someone already pointed out a link for you. But the answer to what's best for you depends on your diving. Do you dive in cold water with a thick wetsuit? A drysuit? Then you might want the added weight that a steel tank offers. Plus, generally you can get more air in a smaller configuration.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The Mrs. and I only dive steel tanks unless we're traveling somewhere. Then we rent, and I'll rent steel if possible since it's what I'm used to.</DIV>
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

wxboy911
07-15-2007, 07:19
So far all of my diving has been with AL 80's-I like the idea of the larger carrying capacity of steel tanks but if my buddy stays with the Al 80 I guess I will have to come up when they do.

cummings66
07-15-2007, 07:26
Yes, but if you're like me with a similar SCR then you might be able to get 2 dives out of one tank to their one. So 2 tanks will get me 4 dives, that's also including rock bottom calc's by the way.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Yes, my buddy sucks air like you can't believe, still works for me though.</DIV>

frankc420
07-15-2007, 11:40
Yes, but if you're like me with a similar SCR then you might be able to get 2 dives out of one tank to their one. So 2 tanks will get me 4 dives, that's also including rock bottom calc's by the way.
<div></div>
<div>Yes, my buddy sucks air like you can't believe, still works for me though.</div>

This is the exact reason I went with a steel HP130. After diving the Oriskany and seeing the divemaster doing all his dives with 1 HP120, I knew any new tank I got would be a big steel. I haven't been able to test my theory yet because I live so far away from the water, but one day!

RECDiver
07-16-2007, 20:58
What I like about my PST HP steel 80s is they are small and neither my wife nor I need a any weight for diving fresh water. I use my HP steel 100s for diving in the winter to offset some of the weight with the drysuit.
<DIV></DIV>The only problem I have had is when I VIPed my four steels this summer, three of them had some rust in them, so I had to brush them out. I am not sure how that happened, but I may VIP them again in 6 months to make sure the rust has not returned.

frankc420
07-16-2007, 21:03
What I like about my PST HP steel 80s is they are small and neither my wife nor I need a any weight for diving fresh water. I use my HP steel 100s for diving in the winter to offset some of the weight with the drysuit.
<div></div>The only problem I have had is when I VIPed my four steels this summer, three of them had some rust in them, so I had to brush them out. I am not sure how that happened, but I may VIP them again in 6 months to make sure the rust has not returned.

I've read that when you take a tank to get filled you should usually blow out the valve before putting the whip on it (I call it whip I'm not sure what it's called). I would think that when you hookup and turn the tank on, that any air in the valve hole could drip down into the tank. I'm sure that was on SB somewhere that I read that :)

I also read that there is something you can put in the tank that will help with the rust problem, but then again they said it leaves a taste..

cummings66
07-16-2007, 22:10
I always blow my valve out, but on a DIN valve it tends to trap water and in the tank it goes if you fail to blow it out.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>A tech diver said he was taught to stick his finger in the middle and open the valve, it gets more of the water out than just opening the valve.</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 22:18
im new to diving but my first dive was with a steel 100 and then i tried an al 80 and i stuck with th al 80

frankc420
07-16-2007, 23:00
im new to diving but my first dive was with a steel 100 and then i tried an al 80 and i stuck with th al 80

What made you decide to stick with AL80s? Was it the price tag on steel or just availability?

cummings66
07-16-2007, 23:51
I'd bet it was the price, you can buy two AL80's for the price of one HP steel 100. But man, the HP100 is sweet.

BSea
07-17-2007, 14:45
The Mrs. and I only dive steel tanks unless we're traveling somewhere. Then we rent, and I'll rent steel if possible since it's what I'm used to.
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I agree. I had aluminum tanks for years. They have been sold &amp; replaced with steel. It's so nice to get rid of the extra lead on your waist. </DIV>

przeor
07-18-2007, 07:29
My wifes dives double hp100s and they are sweet sized tanks. But when we broke down our SAC's, percentage wise, she gets the 100s, and I get 130s and we end with the same psi each dive. Used to be that way with al 80s and al 63s as well. one of these days I'll get close to her breathing rate!

medic001918
07-18-2007, 11:40
My wifes dives double hp100s and they are sweet sized tanks. But when we broke down our SAC's, percentage wise, she gets the 100s, and I get 130s and we end with the same psi each dive. Used to be that way with al 80s and al 63s as well. one of these days I'll get close to her breathing rate!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Good luck trying to catch up...it's a challenge. Especially if she's good with her air which it sounds like she might be.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Shane</DIV>

CompuDude
07-18-2007, 23:55
I'm sure it's not an issue with you, but for others considering this approach, bear one thing in mind:

In the event of an emergency OOA situation (uncontrollable freeflow reg, etc), your buddy is carrying your spare air support. If you are towards the end of a dive, and only have 15 minutes of divetime (and gas left), the amount of air in HER tank that would lasy HER 15 minutes is a LOT less than the amount of air that would have been in YOUR tank for that last 15 minutes. Add in the fact that now BOTH of you are breathing down that gas in a scary situation where your breathing rate skyrockets, and you have the recipe for a real problem.

I know a number of tiny divers with great SAC's that carry huge tanks, the same size as their bigger buddies, just in case.

It's all about gas planning... and not just for you, but for the team.

medic001918
07-19-2007, 01:11
Excellent point Cumpudude. Definatly something that everyone should keep in mind.
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

przeor
07-19-2007, 05:17
If you are towards the end of a dive, and only have 15 minutes of divetime (and gas left), the amount of air in HER tank that would lasy HER 15 minutes is a LOT less than the amount of air that would have been in YOUR tank for that last 15 minutes.
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>True, except 15 minutes of divetime and 15 minutes of gas leftdon't go hand in hand for us. We plan to not suck the tanks dry-as people shouldn't. Planning is the key, and we always plan to finish our dive with a good deal of gas. Which is why I totally agree with this....</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>

</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Plus, with doubles I have redundant air, so barring a double regulator failure, we should have enough air to get out of trouble. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

cummings66
07-19-2007, 22:28
Yes, Compudude is quite correct, the dive planning is based on the smallest tank there to insure a safe return no matter what.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have a cheat sheet printed up I use, but if need be I can do the calculations easily enough. I go over the theory with my regular dive buddies, in fact I have something like a 16 page sheet from a great NAUI instructor that I pass out to my new diving buddies that explains and then shows you how to do the calculations.</DIV>

techgnostic
07-19-2007, 22:49
I have a cheat sheet printed up I use, but if need be I can do the calculations easily enough. I go over the theory with my regular dive buddies, in fact I have something like a 16 page sheet from a great NAUI instructor that I pass out to my new diving buddies that explains and then shows you how to do the calculations.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Do you have a pdf. of the sheet you might be willing to share with theboard?</DIV>

cummings66
07-20-2007, 12:53
I'm not sure I'm allowed to post it, I'll ask him and see. I know he uses it during instruction and he told me I could give out printed versions so I suspect I could post the pdf of it.
<DIV></DIV>

CompuDude
07-20-2007, 13:29
If you're talking about NW Grateful Diver's AOW handout, I think he prefers to have people contact him directly rather than posting it online somewhere. It affects copyright issues differently. He's happy to share it, but not necessarily give up all copyright rights by having it publicly posted.

(I'm acting as if I have the right to speak for him, which I don't, but that's my impression)

cummings66
07-20-2007, 16:52
(I'm acting as if I have the right to speak for him, which I don't, but that's my impression)

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That's kind of how I took it. Just send him an email and he'll send it to you that day if he's got access to a computer. It's pretty well thought out, but there is a math error in it if I remember right. You'll see it.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Let me see if I can find the email address.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Yup, I'll pm you with it, don't want to post it publically so that spammers find it.</DIV>

Warren
07-20-2007, 23:56
I'm sure it's not an issue with you, but for others considering this approach, bear one thing in mind:

In the event of an emergency OOA situation (uncontrollable freeflow reg, etc), your buddy is carrying your spare air support. If you are towards the end of a dive, and only have 15 minutes of divetime (and gas left), the amount of air in HER tank that would lasy HER 15 minutes is a LOT less than the amount of air that would have been in YOUR tank for that last 15 minutes. Add in the fact that now BOTH of you are breathing down that gas in a scary situation where your breathing rate skyrockets, and you have the recipe for a real problem.

I know a number of tiny divers with great SAC's that carry huge tanks, the same size as their bigger buddies, just in case.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Excellent point! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley31.gif</DIV>

techgnostic
07-21-2007, 01:30
If you're talking about NW Grateful Diver's AOW handout, I think he prefers to have people contact him directly rather than posting it online somewhere.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That's fair. Contact initiated.</DIV>

techgnostic
07-21-2007, 01:32
Just send him an email and he'll send it to you that day if he's got access to a computer. It's pretty well thought out, but there is a math error in it if I remember right. You'll see it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Let me see if I can find the email address.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Yup, I'll pm you with it, don't want to post it publically so that spammers find it.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thank you, trey much. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I try to lead a math free life, so I may give you a shout out later to clue me in to the broken formula.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I think spammers should be taken to the nearest wall and shot.</DIV>

przeor
07-21-2007, 12:43
shooting a spammer is much too quick of a death- unless you mean shot with a taser over and over, or shot with one of those bean bag shotguns over and over, or shot with a pepperball gun over and over... you get the idea.

cummings66
07-22-2007, 15:54
Spammers, there's no suitable punishment for them. Life would be so much better without them.

techgnostic
07-22-2007, 22:36
shooting a spammer is much too quick of a death- unless you mean shot with a taser over and over, or shot with one of those bean bag shotguns over and over, or shot with a pepperball gun over and over... you get the idea.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I didn't say a kill shot did I? :)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>(Live targets mean you don't need to keep walking downrange to sight in a new rifle.)</DIV>

Moxie
07-24-2007, 22:32
I like my steels personally... less weight required else where. I dive with an 80, but will go to 100s for the next round. I can't life the any of the larger ones, but if someone can shove me off the boat and haul my butt back in, I'd be just fine!
<DIV></DIV>

longtailbda
05-28-2008, 16:57
It depends on your diving personally 80's are fine.