PDA

View Full Version : Burning fat

namabiru
08-19-2007, 12:47
So after a trip to the doctor for a physical, I've become more vigilant about watching my weight and exercising. I've put myself on a diet, cutting out bad sugars such as sugar in coffee, sweets, etc, eating more vegetables/fruit, and less meat (I don't eat a lot of meat to begin with).

I'm doing pretty well, but I've got a nagging patch of abdominal fat I'd love to get rid of. I'm attacking with situps, but it doesn't seem that it's working.

Is there something else I could try?

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 12:49
Situps wont burn fat - they just tone the muscle..

Try swimming laps or walking - both very good exercise to help burn that fat away!

3rdEye
08-19-2007, 13:40
diet is key, depending on how far you want to take this, you can figure out a diet based on your lean body weight.

Generally speaking, a good formula to figure out how many calories per day you should be eating is your LEAN body weight x 10-12.

so, you'd need to have some idea of your body fat percentage to figure this out. Let's say you are 200lbs and 20% bodyfat. that would mean your lean body weight is 160lbs. sothe number of calories per day that you are taking in should equate to 1600-1920. Best to start at the higher number and crank down if you are not seeing results.

There are many different macronutrient ratios you could use here as well....higher protein, low carb, low fat, etc etc. But a good place to start is a diet based on 1/3's. 1/3 of calories from protein, 1/3 of cals from carbs, 1/3 of cals from fat. (keep in mind fat has more calories than the others per gram).

At any rate, the important thing is, calories in vs calories out (exercise), and eating the right kinds of foods - healthy fats (olive oil, flax), quality protein (lean meats, chicken, fish), and quality complex carbs (whole grains, sweet potatoes, fiber).

if you want more specifics, I can gladly go into more detail

and also, sit ups will not spot reduce fat on your abdomen, they might tighten up the muscle there and make it look slightly better.

creggur
08-19-2007, 13:41
Will is dead on here. The situps will tone the muscle, but you'll never see them with the fat there.. Areobic exercise and weight training in combination should bring the quickest result. When you build muscle it turns up your metabolism 24 hours a day. Couple this with the aerobic activity that gives your metabolism a quick bump during the exercise and you turn into a fat burning machine....

namabiru
08-19-2007, 14:20
Mmm! Thank you very much for your quick and smart replies. I practice kendo twice a week, which is a fast-paced Japanese martial art, so I've got high-demand cardio there. But I've found recently that my stamina is starting to decrease, so that's also how I realized I was in trouble.

I've also made the decision to start walking on my non-kendo days. I definitely notice a difference from now vs. when I was at the university. I had to walk a LOT more when I was going to school, so was in better shape. I plan to walk at least 3 miles, if not more.

Someone told me that it's not so bad that I can't jog (I wrecked my knees playing volleyball in high school, and the impact just kills me), as jogging triggers a fight-or-flight mechanism. This causes my muscles to burn their glucose supply, not the fat. So the best thing to do for myself is to walk at a pace fast enough to still carry on a conversation (which is fast for me) without sounding like a hysterical natural disaster victim.

When I get relocated, which I'm hoping will be next month, the place I'm moving into has a weight room and exercise machines (including ellipticals, which I liked using), so I can develop a better routine there. I can also begin swimming again at Education City's fitness center.

It's just tough right now, as there is literally nothing available in Pleasantville. Only walking.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-19-2007, 15:17
i got a ab workout for you, hold on to a bar with both hands (hang there with your feet off the ground) keep your legs together and bring your feet up and touch the bar with them where your hands are. Thats one heck of a workout. Like what will said aswell you have to burn the fat.

namabiru
08-19-2007, 19:08
Wow! That's a good test of flexibility, right there. I currently have an exercise I'm doing, which I got off The Guardian. I rest on my back, lift my torso up, then try to pretend I'm kicking through the water, like with fins on.

I hope the fires clear up soon. I am in Montana, and as you know, we are having a lot of fires. The air gets really smoky, and sometimes it's hard to breathe. Today is really bad. I tried to go out and walk, but I only got about 400 yards or so from my house before the smoke was just unbearable. My eyes were really dry and I was coughing. Needless to say, I had to go back inside. :(

creggur
08-19-2007, 23:11
The trick when you are exercising is to stay aerobic, this means your body is using fat stores for the majority of the energy it's using.

When you exercise your body uses 3 major supplies for fuel. Fat stores, glucose, and protien. When you are aerobic, usually a heart rate of 50-70% of your max heart rate, you are using primarily fat, with a little bit of glucose. As your heart rate increases you become anaerobic, which means your body starts burning glucose at a faster rate because it's easier to burn than fat. This can also cause your body to start burning protien as well. This is not good for extended periods of time because once the glucose is used up your blood sugar will plumit, and you will "bonk" or basically run out of gas. I've done this cycling before and it's absolutely no fun, no fun at all, and you can pass out. As far as your body using protien as a primary source of fuel this is no good either because that means you are burning muscle, not what we want to do. Muscle is hard enough to build you don't want to burn it off exercising.

So the secret is finding your max heart rate, and staying in the 55-65% of that range for most of your workout. It doesn't hurt to do intervals at an anaerobic pace because this does help to build endurance, but you don't want to spend a lot of time there. A rough estimate of your max heart rate is to take 220 and subtract your age. ie for me 220-36 means a theoretical max heart rate of 184. It's a rough estimate but it will get you in the ballpark...

fire diver
08-19-2007, 23:14
So after a trip to the doctor for a physical, I've become more vigilant about watching my weight and exercising. I've put myself on a diet, cutting out bad sugars such as sugar in coffee, sweets, etc, eating more vegetables/fruit, and less meat (I don't eat a lot of meat to begin with).

I'm doing pretty well, but I've got a nagging patch of abdominal fat I'd love to get rid of. I'm attacking with situps, but it doesn't seem that it's working.

Run and swim. Swim and run. Run run run. Swim swim swim. It will come off. Maybe more slowly than you would like, but it will happen.

FD

namabiru
08-20-2007, 11:45
The trick when you are exercising is to stay aerobic, this means your body is using fat stores for the majority of the energy it's using.

When you exercise your body uses 3 major supplies for fuel. Fat stores, glucose, and protien. When you are aerobic, usually a heart rate of 50-70% of your max heart rate, you are using primarily fat, with a little bit of glucose. As your heart rate increases you become anaerobic, which means your body starts burning glucose at a faster rate because it's easier to burn than fat. This can also cause your body to start burning protien as well. This is not good for extended periods of time because once the glucose is used up your blood sugar will plumit, and you will "bonk" or basically run out of gas. I've done this cycling before and it's absolutely no fun, no fun at all, and you can pass out. As far as your body using protien as a primary source of fuel this is no good either because that means you are burning muscle, not what we want to do. Muscle is hard enough to build you don't want to burn it off exercising.

So the secret is finding your max heart rate, and staying in the 55-65% of that range for most of your workout. It doesn't hurt to do intervals at an anaerobic pace because this does help to build endurance, but you don't want to spend a lot of time there. A rough estimate of your max heart rate is to take 220 and subtract your age. ie for me 220-36 means a theoretical max heart rate of 184. It's a rough estimate but it will get you in the ballpark...

Yep, I hear you totally on the 'running out of gas' bit. It's happened to me at kendo before, and you just want to crash to the ground and stay there.

Also, thank you for the max heart rate ballpark estimation. When I do mine, which is 220-26, I'm at 194. So very roughly 90-100 beats a minute. Which does make sense, as my friend told me to walk fast enough to still be able to somewhat carry on a conversation (ever try to talk while running... doesn't work so good, even with me, and I can't run fast). So I'd need to pick up just a bit of speed, but the last time I walked, then, I was doing fairly well.

I will try this today. I can walk, as we're seeing something unusual around here--blue sky. Although that's thanks to the cold front which came through, bringing winds of 30+ mph. Not so good for the fires...

BTW, I started taking a B-complex vitamin too, which is supposed to help increase metabolism. Yes, I know, that's not going to do it alone, but it may help. We'll see.

ETA-- I forgot to thank everyone who is being kind enough to read, lend constructive advice, and indirectly support. This is a long-term project, but I'll do my best :)

DivingCRNA
08-20-2007, 18:22
Here is the secret to losing weight. Are you ready?

Burn more energy than you take in. I am an advocate of exercise, but the math works out that it is easier to lose fat by eating less, instead of eating a lot and trying to "work it off".

To eat less I make an effort to decide if I am hungry or bored and I EAT SLOWLY. It takes 20 minutes to realize you are full. If you eat slowly, you decrease the chance of overeating.

Exercise helps lose weight, but it mostly makes me feel good and reduces SAC :smiley36:

Bill22
08-21-2007, 05:12

The big key for me has been cutting out almost all sugar from my diet, cutting WAY back on my alcohol intake (I've virtually stopped drinking, except on special occasions ;-)), and eating five times a day. I concentrate on complex carbs, fruit, and good quality protein.

Eggs are a big part of my protein and recent research indicates they don't deserve the bad rap they've gotten. Research has shown that there is a caloric cost involved in the digestion process and it's higher for protein. I get probably 50% of my calories from protein. Eating more often keeps my metabolism revved up digesting food.

Everyone is different and all though there are general guidelines, what works for one person may not be optimum for someone else. My exercise regimen includes, weight training, elliptical trainer, swimming, and stretching. This is what has worked for me. I've lost 18 lbs since the beginning of July :-)

Rockhound76
08-21-2007, 09:53
Everybody is different. I've had a weight problem my entire life, but worse now...mostly because I love food and I married a Cajun.

Nothing I tried seemed to work. In '96 my young son (15mnth) was diagnosed with cancer (AML-leukemia). I spent the next two years sitting in a hospital room. When he got out after a bone marrow transplant, I weighed nearly 300lbs.

I joined a charity cycling team to raise money for leukemia research (we ride across the country each summer). The weight started falling off.

This is what I learned: If you excercise at a moderate level for over 3 hours once or twice a week, you WILL burn fat. The key is stay aerobic during that time. You can work out hard and do intervals every day, but unless you simply put in a few hours in one "go", you won't burn fat.

When I'm in training, I get up on Sundays at 6:00 a.m. and ride 65-70 miles (3-4hrs). When I do this regularly, I loose about 1lb. a week.

I still have weight problem according to the "charts", but I'm down about 80 lbs. In the "off times" (like now..my bike is broken), I will gain 5-10 lbs in just a few months, yet I go to the gym every day (spinning, weightlifting, stairclimbing).

Get a good HRM and a good bicycle.

creggur
08-21-2007, 11:03
To eat less I make an effort to decide if I am hungry or bored and I EAT SLOWLY. It takes 20 minutes to realize you are full. If you eat slowly, you decrease the chance of overeating.

Exercise helps lose weight, but it mostly makes me feel good and reduces SAC :smiley36:

One of the things that helped me with this is something I heard a long time ago.
Eat slowly, and stop when you are SATISFIED. If I stop eating when I'm full I've already over eaten...If I stop when I'm satisfied (the hungry feeling goes away) then sure enough about 20 minutes later, I feel full.

creggur
08-21-2007, 11:06
Also, thank you for the max heart rate ballpark estimation. When I do mine, which is 220-26, I'm at 194. So very roughly 90-100 beats a minute. Which does make sense, as my friend told me to walk fast enough to still be able to somewhat carry on a conversation (ever try to talk while running... doesn't work so good, even with me, and I can't run fast). So I'd need to pick up just a bit of speed, but the last time I walked, then, I was doing fairly well.

:)

The trick to getting the most out of this is building your fitness level so that the bulk of your exercise is in the 65% range, around 120-125 for you. This maxes out your workout without getting anaerobic... Just build up slowly, but you'll be surprised how fast your cardio fitness will improve with a little effort. Good Luck!!!

somewhereinla
08-21-2007, 14:32
I really don't think diets work, actually I don't know of anyone that has gone on a diet and didn't get the weight back 1 or 2 yearls later. I think there are 3 things you can do to loose weight and maintain it all your life.

1/ Stop eating when you don't feel hungry anymore, not when you are full. The difference between stopping when you are not hungry and stopping when you are full can be a very big amount of food.

2/ Walk at least 1/2 hour per day. You don't need more than that and it will make a huge difference.

3/ be patient. Most people want to loose weight fast which is one of the reason they gain it back. 1 to 1 1/2 pound a month is good, your body won't feel starved and you will loose 12 to 18 pounds in one year, not bad.

A few other tricks that worked for me:
_Avoid bread. Bread is not that bad, but what we put on it is...
_If you have a sudden urge to eat, dring a glass of water or juice, wait 10mn, it will usually go away.
_eat light snacks threwout the day like an apple or a peach.

good luck.

namabiru
08-21-2007, 17:01
I've been reading, diligently retaining, and nodding in agreement with everything I've seen. Not just nodding as in 'yep, yep, be polite', but nodding as in 'I see the logic and you are right.'

I, too, prefer to eat 5 smaller meals a day, with lunch being my main food intake. Some say it should be breakfast, but I have trouble eating a large breakfast. I have been doing this for a while now. If I eat what some Americans would call a "regular" meal (I think you know what I mean), I feel really bloated and run down.

My recent Waterloos have probably been not so much physical activity and perhaps a bit too much partying. I've increased physical activity and cut way down on the partying. It was really hard for me to come back to Montana, as I don't like my hometown at all, so I was trying to counter the boredom. That plus stress from not knowing if I had a job or not really caused me to drink more beer than I should have. I'm seeing the consequences now, though.

learn2turn
08-24-2007, 07:15
Heed the words of Mistress Krista. One of the best fitness sites on the web -- http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php Heck, it's chick site and I ain't a chick and I learned a ton from it.