PDA

View Full Version : Girl spearfishers

Lulubelle
12-23-2008, 12:17
Ladies,

Any of you spearfishing? I haven't seen any posts to that effect. I'm just wondering if the equipment is easy to manage for a woman or if the spears are sized in order to find one that would work for a woman. I'm pretty strong.

I'm not the least bit interested in hunting just to hunt. I just like really fresh fish and sometimes find myself wishing I could bring one in from my dives.

I could never clean them, but in Morehead/Atlantic beach, there are places where you can take your catch and have them prepped for a few cents a pound.

Just curious.

Lulubelle

georoc01
12-23-2008, 12:47
I find women spearfishing even more rare than female tech divers. In fact, the only one I know is Muggsy over on Scubaboard. You might want to PM her over there.

BTW, I hear that lionfish are good eats :)

dallasdivergirl
12-23-2008, 13:27
I know there are a couple of spear fishing forums. Splitlip and ScottZeagle are both members.

I think this is the correct one spearboard (http://www.spearboard.com/)

I know there are some jbl slings that you should have no problems with.

How tall are you?

Lulubelle
12-23-2008, 13:28
I find women spearfishing even more rare than female tech divers. In fact, the only one I know is Muggsy over on Scubaboard. You might want to PM her over there.

BTW, I hear that lionfish are good eats :)

But I am indeed a rare girl, so maybe?

Too bad lionfish aren't good eats, there seem to be a lot of them in NC waters these days.

But it kills me to see all of these great grouper, tuna, wahoo, etc under there, come up and go out and pay a fortune for a dinner of fresh locally caught fish! Much of what is in the inexpensive restaurants is farm raised or foreign caught. People will advertise "fresh" fish which has been in the freezer for eons. The places that do serve true local catch are pricey. I buy from a place that get daily catches in from local ops, but how much better would it be to prepare some fish that came out of the water 2 hours ago!

Thanks for the tip. I'll contact her.

Lulubelle
12-23-2008, 13:29
I know there are a couple of spear fishing forums. Splitlip and ScottZeagle are both members.

How tall are you?

Hi Dallas, 5'10" barefoot. Pretty strong these days too!

dallasdivergirl
12-23-2008, 13:31

How tall are you?

jbl has a 6 foot and 6 foot 8 inch travel spears you would probably want to check out.

I am sure there are many much more experienced spear fishers on spear board that can steer you in the right direction.

Lulubelle
12-23-2008, 13:38

How tall are you?

jbl has a 6 foot and 6 foot 8 inch travel spears you would probably want to check out.

I am sure there are many much more experienced spear fishers on spear board that can steer you in the right direction.

Dallas, I know NOTHING at this point. I probably won't travel with a spear, too much trouble to cart the fish. I'm just thinking I'd like to fish near Morehead and the spear would just live there. BTW, you have to come up sometime to dive with me in Morehead. Free lodgings! Spartan and simple lodgings, but free.

Splitlip
12-24-2008, 00:14

How tall are you?

Nice...

Dallasdivegirl speaks the truth. If you see this flag
you are in the presence of some awsome female spearos.

They are located in FLA, but would be happy to talk to you. I have been in the water with a couple. Highly skilled.

dallasdivergirl
12-24-2008, 03:21

How tall are you?

Dallas, I know NOTHING at this point. I probably won't travel with a spear, too much trouble to cart the fish. I'm just thinking I'd like to fish near Morehead and the spear would just live there. BTW, you have to come up sometime to dive with me in Morehead. Free lodgings! Spartan and simple lodgings, but free.

I will have to come visit. one of my buddies lives in Carboro (sp?) and I promised to go to the wedding next year.

I don't have your height but I do have your same skinny leg with boot problem ((there are some sweet steve madden tall boots with buckles to adjust to calf size) please forgive highjack).

I would like to learn to spear fish but I am afraid of the catfish the size of vw beetles in lake texoma.

Lulubelle
12-24-2008, 10:49
I will have to come visit. one of my buddies lives in Carboro (sp?) and I promised to go to the wedding next year.

I don't have your height but I do have your same skinny leg with boot problem ((there are some sweet steve madden tall boots with buckles to adjust to calf size) please forgive highjack).

I would like to learn to spear fish but I am afraid of the catfish the size of vw beetles in lake texoma.

Do come visit, I live in Raleigh full time and the beach whenever I can. I did my time in Chapel Hill so I know Carrboro well.

Dallas, hijacks always allowed for shoe topics. Please send a pic of the Steve Madden boots. I just created some new room in my shoe closet as you know :smiley5:

I am keen on the spearfishing too, but need some more time as just a diver first I think. I'm only after smallish grouper, tuna, wahoo, etc. Seems a shame to go dive and then go out to a nice place and pay 40 plus for my dinner.

Merry Christmas.

dallasdivergirl
12-24-2008, 11:16

Do come visit, I live in Raleigh full time and the beach whenever I can. I did my time in Chapel Hill so I know Carrboro well.

Dallas, hijacks always allowed for shoe topics. Please send a pic of the Steve Madden boots. I just created some new room in my shoe closet as you know :smiley5:

I am keen on the spearfishing too, but need some more time as just a diver first I think. I'm only after smallish grouper, tuna, wahoo, etc. Seems a shame to go dive and then go out to a nice place and pay 40 plus for my dinner.

Merry Christmas.
SteveMadden - BUCK TAUPE SDE women's boot mid casual (http://www.stevemadden.com/item.aspx?id=46810)

black, brown, and taupe suede. they can be found for less than what the steve madden site sells them for.

I like the style but I am not sure how comfortable that they will be (not much padding).

I completely understand the whole catch and make dinner vs paying what?!? One of my favorite dining establishments is Oceanaire and it's so good but my wallet hurts every time I go there.

I saw where you got some recommendations on spears and lesson offers. I hope you can take them up when you get comfortable with everything. I did love that magic dive where everything clicked. The weight was right, I was warm (LOL), I was hovering, a very "ahhh" moment.

Splitlip
12-24-2008, 11:44
I would not bother with the pole spears yet.
A band gun like a JBL or Biller.
Seriously, she needs to talk to the girls on Spearboard.

Lulubelle
12-24-2008, 11:47

Merry Christmas.
SteveMadden - BUCK TAUPE SDE women's boot mid casual (http://www.stevemadden.com/item.aspx?id=46810)

black, brown, and taupe suede. they can be found for less than what the steve madden site sells them for.

I like the style but I am not sure how comfortable that they will be (not much padding).

I completely understand the whole catch and make dinner vs paying what?!? One of my favorite dining establishments is Oceanaire and it's so good but my wallet hurts every time I go there.

I saw where you got some recommendations on spears and lesson offers. I hope you can take them up when you get comfortable with everything. I did love that magic dive where everything clicked. The weight was right, I was warm (LOL), I was hovering, a very "ahhh" moment.

Ah, girl bonding over shoes is a beautiful thing, isn't it? If you ever feel like dropping 850 on a pair of dress boots, Jimmy Choo makes a really terrific one. Most people can't get their calves in them. I don't have them, couldn't stomach the price. Cowboy boots were different, i dance in those and they have to fit.

As for diving...I got that magic feeling of aahh early on. I seem to be quite natural at buoyancy control and was using my breath to move from dive 2. I don't use any air in my bc unless I am really deep where i might need a tad. And my dive buddy and I both like to stop and hover to look at little things. She commented that my buoyancy control was great for a newbie.

Where I am weak is equipment trouble shooting, problem solving with situations that I haven't had to deal with yet, etc. I mean, I know the theorectical basics from training, but that's it. My AOW instructor got lost on a wreck and ran out of air. I got us to an ascent line, albeit on another boat and he buddy breathed off of me. So I've learned...

Not to ever think that someone who has been diving forever knows more than you, don't let your guard down thinking you have a fallback with your more experienced buddy, be responsible for your own safety and that of you buddy, don't depend on others. And don't ever dive with this guy again!

But there are many more underwater lessons I need to learn before I take on the spear I think.

Merry Christmas, I have to dash!

Grin
12-25-2008, 08:04
The East coast section of Spearboard is slowly being taken over by the Women. It's virtually all women posting on there now. Might as well join the club and drag my old manly spearfishing site down another notch with all your womens pink flags, suits and guns. :smilie39:

Is there no manland left anywhere:smiley31:

I thought women were the one who were supposed to clean and cook the fish :smilie39:

Lulubelle
12-25-2008, 08:38
The East coast section of Spearboard is slowly being taken over by the Women. It's virtually all women posting on there now. Might as well join the club and drag my old manly spearfishing site down another notch with all your womens pink flags, suits and guns. :smilie39:

I thought women were the one who were supposed to clean and cook the fish :smilie39:

Oh but Grin, a man cleaning and preparing fish for me is very sexy! I can't stand the idea of cleaning fish, I'll pay someone to do that, seriously. Preparing I can do. If I had a man who wanted to spear my fish, I wouldn't have to step all over man land, so sorry. :smiley36:

No Misses
12-25-2008, 09:25
Hook up with some spearfishers in your area. They will most likely have a gun that you can try.

There are so many things to consider when buying a gun.
1. Long guns shoot further than short guns.
2. Thin shafts travel further that fat heavy shafts (w/ the same bands)
3. What is your indended prey? Small fish = light spear. Big fish = heavy spear.
4. What is your average vis? You do not need a long gun for <15' vis.
5. Will you be hunting in the rocks, out in the sand, or up in the water column?
6. What can you afford? there are new guns out there for $100 to $2000. Most of the "good" guns fall in the $250 to $500 range.
7. @ 5' 10", you should have no problem loading guns up to 52". With proper technique, you could load even larger guns.
8. When choosing between guns, make sure that you are comparing apples to apples. Different manufacturers measure thier guns differently. I have a 110 cm that is ~ 6" longer than my 48" gun. The math tells me that 110 cm should = 43 inches.

I hope that I did not muddy the water too much. Happy hunting.

Lulubelle
12-25-2008, 09:42
Hook up with some spearfishers in your area. They will most likely have a gun that you can try.

There are so many things to consider when buying a gun.
1. Long guns shoot further than short guns.
2. Thin shafts travel further that fat heavy shafts (w/ the same bands)
3. What is your indended prey? Small fish = light spear. Big fish = heavy spear. Smaller fish: to reduce mercury exposure, better tasting to me, love to cook some whole, there is only one of me so my freezer can only take so much.
4. What is your average vis? You do not need a long gun for <15' vis. Varies from nothing to 80, generally 20-40
5. Will you be hunting in the rocks, out in the sand, or up in the water column? Umm, not to be stupid, but I'm not sure what you mean. Many people here take boats out to the wrecks and hunt there as there are tons of fish. Only problem is you have to head out early before the recreational boat divers are on the wrecks.
6. What can you afford? there are new guns out there for $100 to $2000. Most of the "good" guns fall in the $250 to $500 range. Blessed to be well employed. Don't want to over buy as I sometimes can.
7. @ 5' 10", you should have no problem loading guns up to 52". With proper technique, you could load even larger guns.Tall girls rule
8. When choosing between guns, make sure that you are comparing apples to apples. Different manufacturers measure thier guns differently. I have a 110 cm that is ~ 6" longer than my 48" gun. The math tells me that 110 cm should = 43 inches.

I hope that I did not muddy the water too much. Happy hunting.

So it sounds like I would need a short gun with a light spear. Not sure about the shaft part. I have no desire to do the kind of spearfishing where the fish takes you for a ride.

thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to hold off purchasing this maybe until the fall, not due to cost, but due to the fact that I have just done my AOW and feel like I need to be completely focused on my diving for a while longer.

Happy Holidays!

Splitlip
12-25-2008, 10:37

Hey Grin.

Ain't it the truth? :smiley36:

Lulubelle
12-25-2008, 10:48

Hey Grin.

Aw, split, there are still plenty of things we need you for. Manland is still intact.

Splitlip
12-25-2008, 10:58

Hey Grin.

Aw, split, there are still plenty of things we need you for.

Such as..?

Lulubelle
12-25-2008, 11:04

Hey Grin.

Aw, split, there are still plenty of things we need you for.

Such as..?

Things that involve tools, particularly the kind that live in the toolbox.:smiley2:
Things that involve the grill, because you men are the masters of the grill.
Chest thumping and manly posturing in our defense when we have been wronged.
Making us feel girly by doing manly things that we know how to do but don't want to do.
Testosterone, we don't have enough by ourselves.

RoyN
12-25-2008, 18:48
But best of all, the girls look good and hot in a wetsuit too! :D

emt
02-01-2009, 20:18
AB Biller, Seahornet, Riffe, etc. One of my girls the 21yr one likes to occasionally go spearfishing. She has no problem shooting fish but the reloading varies with different guns. I do not advise any Euro gun as chest loading and more arm strength is usually needed especially if over 100cm. I have a 130cm that is a bear to load and it leaves a nice bruise in the middle of my chest during the summer when only wearing a t-shirt as a reminder the following day of the amount of force to load it.
Any gun with a extended loading butt below the trigger mechanism is easier to pull the bands back to the spear notches. A 48 biller should be ok for a 5ft 10in. in shape woman.

Lulubelle
02-01-2009, 21:14
AB Biller, Seahornet, Riffe, etc. One of my girls the 21yr one likes to occasionally go spearfishing. She has no problem shooting fish but the reloading varies with different guns. I do not advise any Euro gun as chest loading and more arm strength is usually needed especially if over 100cm. I have a 130cm that is a bear to load and it leaves a nice bruise in the middle of my chest during the summer when only wearing a t-shirt as a reminder the following day of the amount of force to load it.
Any gun with a extended loading butt below the trigger mechanism is easier to pull the bands back to the spear notches. A 48 biller should be ok for a 5ft 10in. in shape woman.

Thank EMT. Pretty sure I don't want anything that is chest loading...doesn't sound too female friendly. Thanks for the specific advice. Right now, I'm stuck on the following...here in NC we dive wrecks, they are deep, and there are gobs of sharks. I can't quite figure out how one gets one's catch and oneself to the surface safely in this environment before the sharks smell dinner. My next step was to find some ladies who are spearing here to muddle that one over with. I'm sure I will be able to ask around this summer and see what folks are doing.

Splitlip
02-01-2009, 21:36
Southern Atlantic Seaboard - Spearboard Spearfishing Community (http://spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)

Vercingetorix
02-01-2009, 22:10
Women..with spearguns? Women...with weapons?...Uh, no!

//Knowing my reputation among the fairer sex, I don't want to be with a woman with a weapon and with no witnesses.