PDA

View Full Version : Underwater colour identification

Tewesy
12-24-2008, 06:56
This one should get some personal responses:

Looking at getting a Zeagle Brigade. Plan to get some custom colours added on to make recognition underwater easier (instead of being another diver in black from head to toe). Current idea is the side of the bladder panels (so a vertical stripe roughly 10cm wide) on both sides.

So what colours do people reckon show up better underwater? Noting of course the reduction of certain colours at depth (so red is out!), everything going greenish/blue. So far been recommended that yellow is the way to go.

Anyone have recommendations or experiences on this one?

Cheers

Tewesy

DMWiz
12-24-2008, 07:13
Neon Yellow or Neon Green will make you very visible!

WV Diver
12-24-2008, 07:36
We can eliminate the personal responses to this question by examining how water filters out the color spectrum as we descend in water or as we move farther away from the color source.

R-red
O-orange
Y- Yellow
G-Green
B-Blue
I-Indigo
V-violet

In crystal clear water, on a bright clear day, red goes first in about 20' of water and by about 30' the reds and oranges are all but gone, then the others in the order I have listed here. Yellows and greens go away by about 70' with the blues, indigos and violets merging to shades of gray.

Fluorescent colors work better because they not only reflect light but emit light.

waytooslow
12-24-2008, 09:10
White -reflects all colors, so as you go deep, white will always have some color to it - well until light goes bye bye.

Fluorescent colors only emmit luminescence if they contain a phospurus that re-emit light after be charged. or being exposed to UV light - which is the last light to be filtered out due to short wavelengths. Some Flourecent paints can only be viewed in light. Think glow in the dark posters, turn out the light and they do not glow.

Tewesy
12-24-2008, 10:50
Thanks all so far

Fluorescent yellow or green. Sounds like a winner.

Cheers

Tewesy

DMWiz
12-24-2008, 11:21
We can eliminate the personal responses to this question by examining how water filters out the color spectrum as we descend in water or as we move farther away from the color source.

R-red
O-orange
Y- Yellow
G-Green
B-Blue
I-Indigo
V-violet

In crystal clear water, on a bright clear day, red goes first in about 20' of water and by about 30' the reds and oranges are all but gone, then the others in the order I have listed here. Yellows and greens go away by about 70' with the blues, indigos and violets merging to shades of gray.

Fluorescent colors work better because they not only reflect light but emit light.

While there's no debate with the science behind your post, personal experience tells me I can spot a pair of yellow fins or tank in the water much further than any other color. Maybe it's just me, maybe it just doesn't blend as easily with the rest of the environment. Whatever it is... I put my money on yellow for visibility.