PDA

View Full Version : Land Camera question

JCAT
12-27-2008, 16:55
Sorry, not scuba related, but

I wanted to see if any of my fellow photogs had an opinion they could help me with.

My wife mentioned the other day that she would like to move to a dslr set-up for Land. So, we were talking about different cameras, and I dug into the closet and brought out my very old Maxxum 7000 and assorted stuff. I did some quick research on the web and found that the new Sony ‘A’ series cameras will accept my Minolta AF50 Lens, as well as the 210mm ‘beercan’ I have.

My question is, does anyone have an opinion on the Sony ‘A’ series cameras or thoughts on Nikon or Canon land dslrs?

thanks

Suther2136
12-27-2008, 18:38
I've been looking and if I was going to jump in I would pick the Nikon D80. Seems to have all the bells except HD video (D90), but I really don't need that. Check out the lens thing before you jump. Fitting the camera mount and working with the new alpha are two very different things. Take a lens into a camera shop and ask and try before you buy.

ScubaToys Larry
12-27-2008, 19:46
I hate the cannon company (long story on another thread somewhere) and have a D80 Nikon... Great Camera. It's what I use for all the Spin 360 images we do and when we have to shoot our own shots. It has caused me zero problems, gets great battery life - and set on high quality - the shots are amazing.

Aussie
12-27-2008, 20:03
I've been looking and if I was going to jump in I would pick the Nikon D80. Seems to have all the bells except HD video (D90), but I really don't need that. Check out the lens thing before you jump. Fitting the camera mount and working with the new alpha are two very different things. Take a lens into a camera shop and ask and try before you buy.

I would go straight to the D90 as it has alot more features than the D80. Not just live view and HD Video. Its recently released so it wont be outdated for another 12-18 months which the D80 is already out dated.

BTW I have both D80 and D90

Regards Mark

comet24
12-27-2008, 21:01
What are you looking to spend?

You can pick up a Nikon D40 for great prices right now. The body and 18-55mm lens is just over $400 add a 55-200mm lens and your at $500. Really can't beat that and it's still a great camera.

While it's been out for awhile and only has 6.1mp it's a great camera to start with. When your ready to move up you can just pick up a body and keep the lenses.

FishFood
12-27-2008, 21:45
Look up the value of replacing the lenses if you get a camera body that wont except them. Since you only have two lenses, that shouldnt be too much of an issue.

Also, Nikon and Cannon are... alright. Dont forget about Pentax. Great cameras and a great price. Plus, you can use any lens they have ever made (thats 50 years worth) on their new camera bodies. Makes it super easy to find lenses. (goodwill, thrift stores, garage sales, etc) Just giving you something to think about :smilie40:

scubadiver888
12-28-2008, 10:36
I wouldn't even consider the Sony. Bang for the buck they are not really in the running with Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc.

I have always considered either the Canon or the Nikon when buying cameras for the last 5 years.

The Canon camera tend to have more bells and whistles and put more into the body of the camera. The Nikon camera tends to have a cleaner interface and they put more into the lens.

In the end, I have always gone with Nikon. The best thing is, if you grow out of the current Nikon body, all your lens will work on the new body. I started with a D70, switched to a D80, switch this Christmas to a D300. Still using the same lens.

Summary, I tend to find the Nikon very professional, has a good selection of lens, some nice built in features, slightly programmable, not over complex. It retains it value quite well too. I'm very much a KISS kind of guy. Increased technology means increased problems.

sabbath999
12-28-2008, 17:10

The picture quality of the D90's sensor is VASTLY superior to that of the D80.

I own both, and I would not consider buying a D80 with the D90 available.

The video stuff is just fluff, but the CMOS sensor that the D90 has offers greatly superior high ISO performance.

My .02 PSI.

sabbath999
12-28-2008, 17:15
As to the original poster...

I shoot Nikons because I like Nikkor lenses.

I have shot literally hundreds of thousands of photos over the years (you can see one of my many projects at: http://www.zoopictures.net ) so while I am a NOOB at this underwater stuff, I do have a bit of knowledge of dirtside photography... and my advice to people always revolves around lenses.

Digital cameras come and go, and the best of them are obsolete in 2 years. Lenses are something you will keep and use for 20 years, so I would advise looking at which lenses you want and forget about which digital camera body offers "such and such" feature.

If you plan to drag the camera under the sea with you, then obviously housings and lighting comes into play... but for strictly surface use, lenses are all that matter.

Sansho
12-28-2008, 18:28
FWIW, I'm in the Canon camp, and have been pleased with both the Digital Rebel XT and the selection of, and results with, Canon lenses. When I was looking for another DSLR, I was intimidated by the selection of Nikon lenses, so I stayed with Canon. Canon makes some great lenses, and some low-end tourist lenses, with the key knowing which are which.

sabbath999
12-28-2008, 23:15
Canon makes some great lenses, and some low-end tourist lenses, with the key knowing which are which.

One letter: "L"

No "L" no buy.

LaCroix42
12-28-2008, 23:25
I bought a D80 last year when I had an SLR itch and wanted to learn to shoot "properly." I fondled almost every DSLR out there and found that:

I don't care for Sony (I believe the A100 had just been released), Canon makes a pretty good body, and decent lenses but they won't work for me. I'm about 6' and have a pretty decent sized grip. I felt cramped and knew I'd get hand fatigue holding a Canon for awhile. Nikon, while a bit lighter felt more solid to me, had a better sensor (from what I'd seen) and I knew that a JPG with low compression could be blown up to poster with no artifacts (saw it as it came off the printer, and looked close), from a D70. That, really is what sold me on the D80.

As with anything, your mileage may vary. Touch and fondle as much as possible before dropping the cash, as suggested above.

JCAT
12-29-2008, 17:00
I wanted to say thanks for all the info that ya'll posted. I'm looking at the Nikon's now and will prob. put the Minolta on ebay or maybe throw it back in the closet.

We'll be in the smokies for New Years and I may shoot a couple of rolls with it, just to see how it does.

Thanks again

acamato
12-29-2008, 21:06
The autofocus system in the D90 has improved from the D80.