PDA

View Full Version : Pool play

Lulubelle
12-28-2008, 11:15
Hi all, I have a simple question. One of the aquatic centers/dive shops here has opened up their pool until Jan 3 for divers to come play with their new equipment. My esteemed forum members have convinced me that I need to get my new stuff from ST wet before my liveaboard Jan 17th.

Here is the simple question. The pool is only 10-12 feet deep in the deep end. I probably can't equalize right now, have the creepy crud involving sinuses and ears. At this depth, will it matter? I'm assuming that my ears will tell me if I am getting too deep. Just don't want to blow out an ear before the trip, but I'd like to go to that depth if possible to trigger my computer and play with it.

Not looking for health care professionals to respond (I am her) unless they are in dive medicine, would like to hear from divers/instructors with a ton of experience.

Thanks

ScubaToys Larry
12-28-2008, 11:18
I'd say if going past 6 feet you'll have to equalize....

tndiverdude
12-28-2008, 11:32
I know when i even go down to four or five feet I can feel the pressure.
My daughter uses a nasal spray that helps with her ears and equalizing. She is very sensitive to any type of pressure and she like sit better without the drug effects.
Maybe that will help. She uses Nasalcrom and it helps her ears.

WV Diver
12-28-2008, 11:42
Better off not to chance it with the sinus problems you have been having. I would wait.

Lulubelle
12-28-2008, 11:52
Better off not to chance it with the sinus problems you have been having. I would wait.

I agree WV, the issue is timing. The pool will be bustling with classes after Jan 3, we leave Jan 17. So this week is it unless I want to show up in Turks with equipment that has never been wet.

I'm one of those people who normally equalizes very easily on my dives, with just a swallow or something. Shouldn't I be able to feel it if the pressure is too much? Or can folks damage an ear without any warning? I don't now because I normally equalize with barely a thought.

Maybe we'll just go and stay shallow.

Thanks

L

I may be that weirdo with a mask on on the plane down. Did it over to China last year. Will be traveling with a pharmacologic arsenal. Half of the boat are docs, nurse practitioners, EMTs and paramedics. And a token shrink because our crowd needs one!

Splitlip
12-28-2008, 11:55
Sorry I can't help. Nothing phases me. I have no weaknesses. I am bullet proof.

I am Batman.

WV Diver
12-28-2008, 12:08

I agree WV, the issue is timing. The pool will be bustling with classes after Jan 3, we leave Jan 17. So this week is it unless I want to show up in Turks with equipment that has never been wet.

I'm one of those people who normally equalizes very easily on my dives, with just a swallow or something. Shouldn't I be able to feel it if the pressure is too much? Or can folks damage an ear without any warning? I don't now because I normally equalize with barely a thought.

Thanks

L

I may be that weirdo with a mask on on the plane down. Did it over to China last year. Will be traveling with a pharmacologic arsenal. Half of the boat are docs, nurse practitioners, EMTs and paramedics. And a token shrink because our crowd needs one!

Oh you won't have any problem knowing if equalization is going to be a problem. Just don't push it. You might try some decongestant meds an hour or so before you go under and be careful of reverse block.

Good luck. If you can't equalize let someone else try your gear out for you. I know that's hard.

Lulubelle
12-28-2008, 12:15

Thanks

L

Oh you won't have any problem knowing if equalization is going to be a problem. Just don't push it. You might try some decongestant meds an hour or so before you go under and be careful of reverse block.

Good luck. If you can't equalize let someone else try your gear out for you. I know that's hard.

OK, so what I hear you saying is that I will KNOW if my ear is not happy and it won't surprise me? Hate to be stupid, but remind me what a reverse block is?

Good idea about drugging up before hand to clear the ear out a little.

L

Lulubelle
12-28-2008, 12:18

I am Batman.

OK, so clearly you have the omnipotence part down pretty well.

What about the part where Batman comes to the aid of damsels in distress:smiley13:?

WV Diver
12-28-2008, 12:21
It shouldn't be a problem if you don't stay under too long after taking the decongestants. But if you take meds to clear your sinuses and you are able to get down. Then you descend and stay down until the medications wear off, then you could have the same problem when it comes time to ascend. A reverse block.

Splitlip
12-28-2008, 12:54

I am Batman.

OK, so clearly you have the omnipotence part down pretty well.

What about the part where Batman comes to the aid of damsels in distress:smiley13:?

Sadly, Batman is still in Gotham at the moment. Trying to get the Batmobile packed for the ride to Vermont.

Edit:
I have noticed that ski pants have the same weakness as wetsuits. They shrink when not in use.

bane51031
12-31-2008, 19:04
Try sinus flushed works for me to help avoid/rid sinus blockage, as far as depth the pressure change at 12 feet would be notable, do not push if you cannot clear.Also the use of meds may help as well....

dgseng
01-20-2009, 10:14
Hate to be stupid, but remind me what a reverse block is?

L

A reverse block is caused by a buildup of fluid in the Eustachian Tube. This blocks the air in your inner ear from escaping as it needs to do to keep the pressure on both sides of your eardrum balanced. A slow ascent or small descent to allow more time for the pressure to equalize is the remedy. Gentle equalization can be attempted by swallowing (do a search on the "frenzel maneuver"). I was taught that taking decongestants _could_ potentially lead to this if they cleared you up prior to the dive, but wore off, allowing fluid to build up in the ear canal during the dive.

Dave

cummings66
01-20-2009, 12:21
If you can't pop your ears now using the valsalva maneuver, or whatever you prefer, then you won't make it to the bottom of the pool without pain. I can easily tell the difference in a shallow depth like a pool, and it will hurt you if you try to hit the bottom without clearing. I don't think it'd hurt you enough to slow down your recovery, but you wouldn't be a happy camper is what I'm saying.

You can test it pretty easy, just go for a swim and dive down. If you can't hack it then you're sure not going to do it on scuba.

Roughwater
01-21-2009, 22:29
May sound like a stupid question - but what do high-board divers do?

I mean, they can dive from up to 20+ feet, and go 15 feet deep in the dive pool. Do they equalise that quickly as they hit the water, or do they just put up with it (considering that it would be a small amount of time before they surface).

If they just 'put up with it' because it's a small amount of time, then are we just talking pain, and not damage?

I have no idea personally myself - but just interested to know if there's a difference. I remember when I was a kid I used to swim in 10ft pools to the bottom and get an ear squeeze, but never new anything about equalising and just put up with it.

Mtrewyn
01-22-2009, 18:33
May sound like a stupid question - but what do high-board divers do?

I mean, they can dive from up to 20+ feet, and go 15 feet deep in the dive pool. Do they equalise that quickly as they hit the water, or do they just put up with it (considering that it would be a small amount of time before they surface).

I use to just put up with it, I was never under that long, not really long enough to even notice. When we use to clean the pool thoe we would equalize at the bottom otherwise it hurt.