PDA

View Full Version : Why photography?

ektess1
12-28-2008, 19:00
Why do you shoot underwater photos? For that matter why dry photos?
I shoot to remember images or to show people what I saw. I can do that with a point and shoot.
Don't get me wrong. I was in love with photography back in the eightys, but only for my own peasure.
I am a gear freak. what every I get involved in, it has got to be the greatest and best.
If you only shoot images for yourself, is it worth thousands of dollars.
Do you do anything else with the images that you shoot to justify the cost?
Not being judgemental. Just curious.

Divingguy
12-28-2008, 19:23
PLEASE fix the "name" of this thread. "Porography". What is that?
I shoot pictures with a G10, and several other cameras before that, because I like to have and share them.

ektess1
12-28-2008, 19:34
Can't change the name of a post.
Asked the Mods to help out. Thanks for catching the typo.

sabbath999
12-28-2008, 23:23
Why do I shoot pictures?

Because it is what I do.

I have several "land" projects going on at the moment... documenting as many zoos as I can reach ( http://www.zoopictures.net ), as well as several projects that are not online including civil war battlefields/reenactments, bugs and the big island of Hawaii.

My degree (from back in the day, 1984) is in photojournalism, and I worked as a newspaper photographer, editor and photo studio owner/operator in the 1980's and 1990's... then, it was a business.

Now I just do it for fun.

Being a gear freak is nice and all, but it really doesn't have much to do with taking great pictures... you can have the best equipment in the world (I just started teaching lessons to a guy who is absolutely horrible who shoots a D3 with a 70-200 VR lens and can't make a decent sports picture to save his soul) and still be awful.

In land photography, you can have a $100 point & shoot and do amazing things with it, or a $8 D3x and shoot garbage...

Underwater, it helps to have good gear, I am a NOOB at it but I know it is just like any other kind of photography... it is the photographer that makes great picture, not the gear he owns.

thesmoothdome
12-28-2008, 23:50
The short answer is yes, it's worth the thousands of dollars.

For me, I went with a DSLR because I wanted to do more than take pictures to remember a trip by. I wanted to vividly capture the trip and impress myself with my improvement as a photographer. I know that may sound a little silly, but I looked (and still do) as a photography as a challenge and I wanted to improve. I didn't believe that a PaS would allow me to progress in the same way a DSLR system would.

PlatypusMan
12-28-2008, 23:59
I shoot both still and video for the sheer pleasure and fun of it. Some I post on the web, others I just burn a DVD and share with others who were on the same trip if they want them.

PPM

roby jeff
12-29-2008, 08:03
I love my little under water camera because of:
* the challenge of hunting down a good pic is like the challenge & excitment of hunting or spear fishing..only cleaner.
* family & freinds dive photo competions are fun to see who got the best pic...a great way to get the adrenilian up when diving get a bit ordinary.
* I set up an ongoing display LCD in the kitchen and we relive past adventures and keep the good vibrations going in the of season
* I love sharing interesting pics and exciting experiences with fellow divers & traveling mates
* i am just beginning to stimulate my creative juices using photo shop and an easy to use photo story program. I find every body enjoys a 3 -5 minute video story of interesting pics coupled with humour and good music.These days good under water pictures are made and created as well as snapped . Its good fun for me.
* When we travel and explore the beautifull reefs and islands we love to put some of our pics on our diary blog. Its a great way of not only letting people know where we are but also show them some of the thrilling things that we see. Its also nice for us to look back on ourselves.
* Reading the above makes want to race out and get a new camera before my next dive season...gotta go!