PDA

View Full Version : 1000 post 25 dives

ektess1
12-28-2008, 19:28
Why does anybody with no dive experience post replies to questions that they have no intelligent ideas on?
Why do people listen to them?
Maybe I am being too cynical about the whole idea.
I would love to post the magic 250 post. If I do not know what I am talking about, or at least have some idea of what is being discussed, I read but remain quite.
Of course, I am the person in the back who does not speak much. Maybe it is a character flaw on my part.
By the same token, if you don't know what you are talking about, shut the h*ll up!
Some people do not have the sense god gave a goose and will think that what you said is in fact accurate. Be quite. You could get somebody killed.
The Gods know that I am ignorant of many things. Tne point is that I don't try to come off as knowing anything. Humorus yes, intellegent, definately not.
Ed

DMWiz
12-28-2008, 19:42
Come off the window sill Ed, now lets talk about this... =)

DMWiz
12-28-2008, 19:45
I think the magical 250 makes people post just to hit the number, but as long as Larry & Joe don't mind it, neither should we. It's a great loss-leader IMO.
I think if you find a post that you find dangerous, you should tactfully point it out with facts.

BTW, there's nothing stopping anyone from saying they have 1000 dives or whatever number when they really don't. Would this make them more credible? I'm just playing devils advocate, I think I know how you feel.

bigfishK9
12-28-2008, 19:57
Why do we continue to elect career politcians? They can not balance their own check book but we leave them in charge of our national budget year after year after year.... When congress has nothing better to do but hold hearings on banned substances on sports while the rest of us were paying almost $4 a gallon for gas, their world must be pretty good. We (as a country) have tuned them out for so long that although we hear them speaking, we are not listening. So when someone with 0-24 dives wants to talk about "tech" diving, take it for what it's worth. If they need that magical 250 that bad, let them...I'm sure Scuba Toys will fix it if it becomes an issue.

Mtrewyn
12-28-2008, 20:27
I don't have a lot of experience, but I can think things through, and some times figure things out, that are over my head, but I'm like you I just like to read and think about it.

Lulubelle
12-28-2008, 20:44
Why does anybody with no dive experience post replies to questions that they have no intelligent ideas on?
Why do people listen to them?
Maybe I am being too cynical about the whole idea.
I would love to post the magic 250 post. If I do not know what I am talking about, or at least have some idea of what is being discussed, I read but remain quite.
Of course, I am the person in the back who does not speak much. Maybe it is a character flaw on my part.
By the same token, if you don't know what you are talking about, shut the h*ll up!
Some people do not have the sense god gave a goose and will think that what you said is in fact accurate. Be quite. You could get somebody killed.
The Gods know that I am ignorant of many things. Tne point is that I don't try to come off as knowing anything. Humorus yes, intellegent, definately not.
Ed

Ed, I'm not sure which thread has angered you so, but please do not feel obligated to read the posts of others which do not add any value to you. I don't. And if you read something that you feel is dangerous, by all means, respond as such or report the post to a moderator. I did so yesterday. This forum is supposed to be fun and informative, so make it that for yourself. And rather than expecting others to "be quiet", make your opinions known. I can't imagine that anyone is posting simply to post, they are posting because they have something to say.

You can line up 10 people with recognized expertise in their field and you will get 10 different opinions on the subject at hand. The same is likely true of diving. I don't think of anything I read here as being absolute, I look at this forum as a place which gives me some diving related issues to ponder and some possible answers to consider.

As for the number of dives being correlated with the validity of an opinion, I'd have to disagree with you on that. The 2 worst divers I have been out with were an instructor and a DM with decades of diving experience. They were a danger to themselves and to others. It was their mental health that was the issue I suspect. Do I think that more experienced divers have a lot of knowledge to offer me? Absolutely. Precisely why I dive most often with a buddy who has 500 dives and nearly 20 years of experience. She in turn says that I am one of the best "new" divers she has ever seen, in part because I am comfortable and confident with what I know, but at the same time, aware of the limits of my experience and knowledge.

I read this forum to hear peoples ideas and opinions, but at the end of the day, I think for myself.

Many happy dives and many happy posts.

Rhino
12-28-2008, 20:52
Ed, I have some oceanfront property just 30 minutes on the other side of Denver that might be of interest to you.........:smiley20:

plot
12-28-2008, 21:03
Ed, I have some oceanfront property just 30 minutes on the other side of Denver that might be of interest to you.........:smiley20:

you're really optimistic about this whole global warming situation huh?

Rhino
12-28-2008, 21:06

you're really optimistic about this whole global warming situation huh?

Just a tad...:smiley2:

ektess1
12-28-2008, 21:16

I am sorry Rhino. does that mean that I am stupid, gullable or what.

While I would love some property east of Denver, I don't see what that has to do with my post.

All that I am saying is that some people should not be giving advise.

I don't know what pissed me off tonight. I don't usually vent.

Yes Wiz, I should back away. I know that. When is the next night dive. PM me. I promise to be in a better frame of mind.

All I am saying is that people pretend to know all the answers, and that could get stupid people hurt.

Italianprincess
12-28-2008, 21:21
Hey Ed, I think, as with all things in life, you have to pick and choose what's useful for you and filter the rest out. Everyone around here is unique...not everyone can please us all. Like some of the others have said, as long as whet they're saying is not dangerous, let them hang out here and enjoy the forum. It's fun and informative for all.
Have a good one!

Rhino
12-28-2008, 21:27
^
I understand your point Ed. Was trying to get you to smile through a little sarcasm. :smiley5:

Just a quick question however.

Who has more credibility? The diver who has logged 200 dives with only an AOW card, or the diver with 100 logged dives, but has several specialty certs from certain agencies?

ScubaToys Larry
12-28-2008, 21:35
I think as with most things in life - experience sure helps - but just because someone else has experience does not mean their opinions are for you. Prime example - I have thousands and thousands of dives... I have handed out over 1500 certs with 3 different agencies. I have trained over 50 pro levels from dm, ai, instructor and instructor trainers...

And I dive split fins, like the bio filter and see nothing wrong with a spare air. But my likes and dislikes may be totally different than someone else with more, less or the same experience.

Let's be honest - this world of the internet in this web 2.0 world is so people can share opinions, get a lot of info, but they still need to filter it. Is that any different than picking up a scuba magazine where every resort is great?? And I've been to some that magazines said were great - and they were terrible.

It seems that most the folks without a lot of experience here are not saying they know it all - they are asking questions to try to learn it all... and that is a great thing.

So kick back, read some posts - put a few out yourself to help the newbies, and dream about the great night dive followed by a cold corona while watching the stars over the ocean!

DMWiz
12-28-2008, 21:58
Is that any different than picking up a scuba magazine where every resort is great?? And I've been to some that magazines said were great - and they were terrible.

They lie?!?!!? I'm cancelling right NOW!:smiley29::smiley29::smiley5:

in_cavediver
12-28-2008, 22:17
Here's the thing - on the internet, its almost impossible to guage whether a person is who they say they are. I mean really, I could be some snot nosed kid in high school (I'm not really). That said, if you read peoples posts over time, you start to paint the picture of who is who they claim to be based on thier responses. Many here provide some very clear, logical and well reasoned answers (Cummings, Compudude, msilvia and texdiveguy come to mind immediately). Those who don't know soon get that exposed.

The only downside is that you get to the see the significant bias those with expierence have developed toward different things - bring up spare air for instance....

In the end - its all good and people learn from each other. I mean after all, we all come to chat about diving anyway. Everyone is welcome from OW student to mixed gas cave rebreather instructor trainer (and everyone in between).

ScubaToys Larry
12-28-2008, 22:24
Here's the thing - on the internet, its almost impossible to guage whether a person is who they say they are.

Damn! You mean all those girls I'm talking to on another forum are not really 5'9", 120 lb swimsuit models?? Damn!:smiley13:

ektess1
12-28-2008, 22:31
Damn! You mean all those girls I'm talking to on another forum are not really 5'9", 120 lb swimsuit models?? Damn!:smiley13:

Larry, you have restored my faith in humanityl

ektess1
12-28-2008, 22:50
^
I understand your point Ed. Was trying to get you to smile through a little sarcasm. :smiley5:

Hello Ryno.
No worries,:smiley5:
I would rather dive with the person with the experience than the cards. Cards don't make you a safe diver. Experience makes you safer. Not safe, but safer

Lulubelle
12-28-2008, 23:06
Here's the thing - on the internet, its almost impossible to guage whether a person is who they say they are.

Some of them are Larry, some of them are. From the other forum I am a member of...

Le aspiranti Miss Scuba 2008 - Foto delle partecipanti, per le votazioni (http://www.scubaportal.it/aspiranti-miss-scuba-2008.html)

PlatypusMan
12-28-2008, 23:31

Some of them are Larry, some of them are. From the other forum I am a member of...

Le aspiranti Miss Scuba 2008 - Foto delle partecipanti, per le votazioni (http://www.scubaportal.it/aspiranti-miss-scuba-2008.html)

I'd like to order a number 6, 9, 12 and maybe two 14's please.

PPM

fisheater
12-28-2008, 23:49

Oh my!

Didn't even need any translation.

neugierig
12-29-2008, 04:35

PPM

dibs on #15!

what number are you lulu?

neugierig
12-29-2008, 04:38
i feel the OP. I'm not an experienced diver but i enjoy this forum because of the sharing of information.

Some people might have 24 dives logged on their profile, but haven't updated it in years. for all we know, they could have done 500 dives between the time they joined the forum and today. so you can never say.

as with everything, its always good to take it all in with a grain of salt, and decide on your own.

Grin
12-29-2008, 07:53
It's the internet! It's your job to figure out who knows what they speak about. On the flip side, often you will read someones idea about how it's done and you will begin to see where they are coming from. EVEN IF THEY ARE ALL WRONG! :smilie39:

Lulubelle
12-29-2008, 09:31

PPM

My my aren't WE greedy!

what number are you lulu?

Ah, sorry to disappoint neugierig, but I am none of those ladies. One has to be Italian to compete in Miss Scuba and I am from NC. Of course, they do NOT have a male version of this contest!!!! I joined their forum to 1)learn the worlds associated with scuba in Italian,practice writing in Italian and 2) learn where Euros like to dive close to Italy so that I can do some diving when I am over them visiting friends.

It is the internet you know, I could really be a 32 year old guy which a penchant for very girly cowboy boots.

Glad you guys enjoyed, twas my gift to this thread after everyone started playing nicely.

Miked
12-29-2008, 10:12
Thanks for the link, Lulu.
Of course, as with all the other males who clicked the link, I did so in order to check out the ladies' dive gear.
(and if anyone believes that, buy that beachfront prop that Rhino was so kind to put up for sale.) :)

WV Diver
12-29-2008, 11:13

So, where is the dive gear?

chicken
12-29-2008, 12:44
There were ladies? All I found was the dive gear!

chicken
12-29-2008, 12:48
I came here seeking knowledge about a sport I truly enjoy. As with any other group of people there is good advice and not so good advice. As the others have said, filter it out and take what you need. What works for me in Georgia may not work for you.

In the two months I have been a "member" of this board I have learned a great deal and read about things I would never even attempt while diving. I have not personally met anyone from this group but hope to dive with several at some point.

In the mean time, I will chime in if I think I have something to contribute and will listen when I don't.

The best divers are the ones having the most fun.

gNats
12-29-2008, 13:58
I think we have to remember that not every post is meant to be meaningful. Take this thread for example. It really has nothing to do with scuba diving, safety, or technique, but it will count as a posting for each of us.

I admit, a great deal of my postings are either me asking for assistance, providing my own immediate experience when asked, or humour "reach out and be part of the community." Some of the more humorous and surface interval postings can run like wild fires - back and forth dialog in a short period of time that enables us to rack up postings without really discussing scuba diving.

If you look at my statistics, you will see a huge disparage between dive experience and postings. While I am saving my 250 post coupon for something really cool to buy in the Spring, I have to admit. With everyone locked inside up here in Michigan, posting even this type of commentary is a way to feel like I am still connected to diving.

If you feel someone posted erroneous facts, the rest of us would appreciate it if you added to the discussion with facts. Even if you can't prove it, just have a hunch. That's why we come here. to learn. and part of learning is bouncing ideas, playing devil's advocate, and challenging other's theories.

:smiley20:

plot
12-29-2008, 14:32
I don't think surface interval counts toward post count though ;)

i think you nailed it with the cold weather though. alot of us dont have dive locations readily accessable so we get stuck with forums while waiting to dive instead.

Rockhound76
12-29-2008, 15:50
I'm cutting back. I'll have a No. 7 , a No. 14 (light on the mayo) and two number 19's (praying for twins).

Also...I NEED to see how many posts I have....

Rockhound76
12-29-2008, 15:52
AHA!

251, I mean 252!

I feel so important now....:nana:

PlatypusMan
12-29-2008, 20:35

PPM

My my aren't WE greedy!

Not at all.

I've cut WAY down now that mating season is over. No need to be a glutton at this juncture.

PPM

mm2002
12-29-2008, 21:39
I think as with most things in life - experience sure helps - but just because someone else has experience does not mean their opinions are for you. Prime example - I have thousands and thousands of dives... I have handed out over 1500 certs with 3 different agencies.

So ya see Ed. Here's a prime example. Larry still carries a spare air. :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:
(sorry Larry, please don't turn off my discount) :smiley29:

mm2002
12-29-2008, 22:06
It is the internet you know, I could really be a 32 year old guy which a penchant for very girly cowboy boots.

Just as we become friends you have to go and throw that statement out there. :smiley5::smiley29::smiley19:

Lulubelle
12-30-2008, 05:50

Just as we become friends you have to go and throw that statement out there. :smiley5::smiley29::smiley19:

But you would still be my friend if I was a 32 year old guy with a girly shoe fetish wouldn't you Mark? :smiley20:

mm2002
12-30-2008, 07:49
But you would still be my friend if I was a 32 year old guy with a girly shoe fetish wouldn't you Mark? :smiley20:

I suppose I could overlook it :smiley36:

Splitlip
12-30-2008, 08:41

I suppose I could overlook it :smiley36:

Why am I reminded of the "Crying Game"?

kjvander
12-30-2008, 10:26
For me i try to help out where I can. I might not have that many dives but i have talked to a lot of people here and other places and if a question is asked I will try to put forth my opinion. However if there are times when i don't know i will read and evaluate things as they come to see what i want to try and/or inquire about next time around.

kjvander
12-30-2008, 10:27
Plus just as gNats said....is cold here and can't do too much diving right now...so what better way to pass the time than to talk about diving.

Foo2
12-30-2008, 10:46
I gotta say, there are lots of people out there that have lots of knowledge about things simply because they take the time to read. I am not experienced by any means...yet I have well over 1000 posts. (I don't know the exact number right now.) Does that mean that what I say on the board doesn't hold any water? For the most part, I sit back and read without offering things unless I'm sure about what I say. I will agree that experience brings you more knowledge, but that is not the only avenue to learn. Don't judge by a dives logged count.

kjvander
01-05-2009, 13:17
agree....i have read a lot of books and talked with a lot of people....does that make me an expert...nope but i do have an opinion and am still willing to discuss and learn...

MSilvia
01-05-2009, 13:28
You mean all those girls I'm talking to on another forum are not really 5'9", 120 lb swimsuit models??
Sure I am! ...I mean... uh...

wgt
01-05-2009, 14:13

I think that Number 9 must be from southern Italy.

Lulubelle
01-05-2009, 18:31

I think that Number 9 must be from southern Italy.

Why do you say that wgt? There are most definitely more blonds in the North...

plot
01-05-2009, 18:46
maybe it's a joke about the campers in the background that we don't get? something about the gypsies being kicked out of italy or something maybe?

Lulubelle
01-05-2009, 18:49
maybe it's a joke about the campers in the background that we don't get? something about the gypsies being kicked out of italy or something maybe?

Not a bad theory plot. Tons of gypsies in Italy, but they are always dark skinned/haired.

There ARE more blonds in the North because of Scandinavian/Swiss/German, etc immigration to those areas. They are also taller up there for some of the same reasons.

wgt has a reason, no doubt. Reasoned person.

mm2002
01-05-2009, 19:50
...yet I have well over 1000 posts. (I don't know the exact number right now.)

Just a little internet forum help for ya; when you post, look down and to the left....you'll see exactly how many posts you have. It's a little trick I've been using, and it works! :smiley36:
J/K!!! Don't hate me!!!! :smiley36:

ektess1
01-05-2009, 19:59
Lulubelle, you know that you are the reason this thread is still alive. Changed it from a rant to attractive women.
Long live attractive women!

My wife is learning Italian. I showed her the website. She liked it.
thanks.

Lulubelle
01-05-2009, 20:01
Lulubelle, you know that you are the reason this thread is still alive. Changed it from a rant to attractive women.
Long live attractive women!

My wife is learning Italian. I showed her the website. She liked it.
thanks.

Well, call it my offering of value since I am one of the frequent posters with less than 24 dives under my belt!

They have a whole forum like this one and I am a member. I haven't posted to it, but I will next time I am headed to Europe and want to dive.

What learning method is your wife using?

ektess1
01-05-2009, 20:07
Language books. Some CDs, but she doesn't care too much for them. Reads Italian papers off the web. She also watches Italian news on the web. Took a class once. In some areas she was way advanced and in some she was behind. She said that she enjoyed it.

Lulubelle
01-05-2009, 20:10
Language books. Some CDs, but she doesn't care too much for them. Reads Italian papers off the web. She also watches Italian news on the web. Took a class once. In some areas she was way advanced and in some she was behind. She said that she enjoyed it.

There is an all audio set called Pimsleur which is terrific. It is immersion style, no english after the first few. I find it great.

I was the same, advanced in some areas, needed to go to first grade in others, big vocabulary, never studied in a classroom. It is challenging to fill in the gaps without wasting time on things you already know.

Two books I found helpful.
1)Streetwise Italian. Will teach the stuff you won't hear in school!
2)Italian verbs and essentials of grammar, Carlo Graziano.

I read a lot too, watch Italian movies, shoot the c... with anyone on this forum that I can trick into it, etc.

Vercingetorix
01-05-2009, 20:52

PPM
What about 17? Checkout the gear on that girl. I want me one of those rigs.

And, oh yeah, the girl is pretty, too. Whatever.

Concerning the OP. Never let lack of knowledge get in the way of stating an opnion. I don't.

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 21:07

Not a bad theory plot. Tons of gypsies in Italy, but they are always dark skinned/haired.

There ARE more blonds in the North because of Scandinavian/Swiss/German, etc immigration to those areas. They are also taller up there for some of the same reasons.

wgt has a reason, no doubt. Reasoned person.

Traditionaly, yes. Most Southern Italians are dark skinnned (olive), dark hair and dark eyes. That would be my mother. Sicily, Sardinia and other parts of southern Italy were under Moorish influence. And Traditionally, northern Italy had many more blonds and blue/green eyed Italians. Think Switzerland.

Gypsies are Indians.

This is the 21st century and the Italian population is becoming more dynamic. Not as mobil as we are by any means.

I assumed RGP's comment was a reference to the Southern Cal/South Florida look.

Foo2
01-06-2009, 16:23
...yet I have well over 1000 posts. (I don't know the exact number right now.)

Just a little internet forum help for ya; when you post, look down and to the left....you'll see exactly how many posts you have. It's a little trick I've been using, and it works! :smiley36:
J/K!!! Don't hate me!!!! :smiley36:

:smiley17: Ok smarty...When you are quoting a post in a reply that little bar to the left isn't there. You big stinker.

firstdive2005
01-06-2009, 19:25
Hi Ektess1- I love this thread. I started a thread on being left handed to have some fun. It has taken on a life of it's own. I am not by any means the smart pea in the pod nor am I the village idiot,some would argue that. I think based on your writing you should write more.

mm2002
01-06-2009, 19:48
:smiley17: Ok smarty...When you are quoting a post in a reply that little bar to the left isn't there. You big stinker.

"Smarty" and "Stinker"??? C'mon Sis, you never say the bad words like "********" or "********". You can do it, I know you can! Tell us how you really feel! :smiley36:
(yeah, now you do hate me huh:smiley31:)

ektess1
01-07-2009, 00:51
Hi Ektess1- I love this thread. I started a thread on being left handed to have some fun. It has taken on a life of it's own. I am not by any means the smart pea in the pod nor am I the village idiot,some would argue that. I think based on your writing you should write more.

That is the nicest (sniff) thing (sniff) any (weep) body has said about (sob) me in a long (waaa) long time.
I love you man. (sob, snort, sob)
Keep on posting.

Vercingetorix
01-07-2009, 08:38
"Smarty" and "Stinker"??? C'mon Sis, you never say the bad words like "********" or "********". You can do it, I know you can! OK...it's official. Mark wants women to talk dirty to him.

//kinky...yet, I'm strangely excited

Foo2
01-07-2009, 10:18

"Smarty" and "Stinker"??? C'mon Sis, you never say the bad words like "********" or "********". You can do it, I know you can! Tell us how you really feel! :smiley36:
(yeah, now you do hate me huh:smiley31:)

Hate? HATE?!? How in the world could I hate you? You big (*&^*&%^%$%)(&)(*$#@^&%$#@!!!!!!!!!!

"Smarty" and "Stinker"??? C'mon Sis, you never say the bad words like "********" or "********". You can do it, I know you can! OK...it's official. Mark wants women to talk dirty to him.

//kinky...yet, I'm strangely excited

Hmmmmm reason number one to not curse on the forum.