PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Delta 4 with longhose?

superkingkong
08-19-2007, 15:59
Hi guys,

I've got the Delta 4 from ST few months back. Now, I would like to use it with a 7' hose. and since delta 4 comes with a swivel, i guess it needs to be removed.

so, if i get a 7' hose from ST, can i just replace it myself?

btw, i don't have any specia tools but a wrench. and i've only took out hose from 1st stage before :) ... not 2nd stage.

thanks.

somewhereinla
08-20-2007, 22:09
Why would you want to dive with a 7' hose?

3rdEye
08-20-2007, 22:11
why remove the swivel?

is that against DIR rules?

superkingkong
08-20-2007, 22:23
After some research, first reason, i found out that standard hose are not able to fit the swivel, hence oceanic is selling a longhose with swiwel attached. So, if i'm going to use the standard hose, i need to remove the swivel, and replaced with a inlet coupling from a GT3/Alpha 8.

second reason, additional point of failure.

i like tbe idea of DIR, in an OOA situation, i donate my primary and i'll use my secondary bungeed to a necklace.

3rdEye
08-20-2007, 22:33
i do kind of like that idea of the 7 foot hose, though I probably won't be doing it anytime soon....i'd be kind of annoyed though if I had to ditch the swivel (i have the same reg). why not get the oceanic long hose?

superkingkong
08-24-2007, 20:52
1st, if u have a longhose... it's kinda flexible already.
2nd, it's identified as an additional point of failure. well, not too much for me now, but if i'm to go towards tech later, i don't want to but another longhose.
3rd, it costs twice as much as the original 7' hose that is without a swiwel :)

cummings66
08-24-2007, 21:22
Interesting how the idea of a 7' hose brought up DIR. I just want to point out that a 7' hose does not equal DIR, nor does it make you DIR compliant. DIR is as much a philosophy as it is a gear choice.

On to the swivel. The theory about the swivel is it introduces a possible failure point, and they have failed in the past. There has been recalls on them, but as far as I know (AFAIK) it's never happened to Oceanic.

The ultimate goal is to reduce the chances of failure to insure a safe dive, thus a diver would get rid of anything that is not necessary to a dive and thus maximise the safety aspect.

In other words, the more complex something is, the more likely it is to fail.

superkingkong
08-24-2007, 21:38
i do agree with u... DIR is all about philosophy.

but in sports diving, there is nothing about longhose, but just a reg and an octo.

so, i would say, longhose is related to DIR/tech line, not because they want you to or it's a must in DIR, but the understanding of safety. One does not follow blindly, but when questioned, one must know why they need this and that., hence, the answer shouldn't be .. because DIR says so...

skdvr
08-24-2007, 22:27
I have a Sherwood Maximus Reg and it has a swivel on it. I just switched to a 7ft. hose with no problems. I actually like the swivel there. I think that it sucks that the oceanic will not fit a normal hose and you have to buy one of theirs. I understand what people say about the swivel being just another failure point, but to me that is the way that it came from the factory so I will keep it until I see a problem with it. It is not just some accesory that I added.

Phil

Splitlip
08-25-2007, 06:44
My primary is on a 40 " hose with a swivel.

With a 7ft hose, I see no need for a swivel and would not bother with it. Put it away for future use. It may come in handy again.

I have played with a number of regulators and switched out a lot of hoses. Have not met one yet that needed a "special" tool. Mind you however, I have no experience with Oceanic regs.

On the note of DIR and the 7 ft hose. A 7 ft hose is DIR, but simply using a 7 ft hose does not necessarily mean the rig is DIR compliant. And DIR has more to do with training than just equipment configuration.

BTW, at recreational depths in open water diving one can still be DIR compliant without the 7 ft hose.

cummings66
08-25-2007, 06:49
so, i would say, longhose is related to DIR/tech line

There are many times in recreational diving that a longhose works for you, sharing air is more comfortable for example, some places I dive require you to go single file through tree's and if you needed to share air a long hose is the best method.

It's not just technical in nature even though that's where it started, it has uses outside of that.

creggur
08-25-2007, 07:39
There was a discussiona about this in in the DIR section the other day....

I think I've decided to go with the 40" hose and 90 degree attachment on the second stage. My dive buddy(wife) and I have Octo-Z's and I think the 40" will work better in an OOA situation than the standard. I think the 7' would be overkill for us. You might consider this as an option....

Splitlip
08-25-2007, 08:49
There was a discussiona about this in in the DIR section the other day....

I think I've decided to go with the 40" hose and 90 degree attachment on the second stage. My dive buddy(wife) and I have Octo-Z's and I think the 40" will work better in an OOA situation than the standard. I think the 7' would be overkill for us. You might consider this as an option....

A good piece of advise I received from Larry was to use the Atomic swivel. It will cost more as you purchase the hose with the swivel mounted. It is very light and it appears to be more robust than the other swivels I considered.

I like the 40" primary routed under my right arm for several reasons:
It is more streamlined than a standard length hose. (no halo effect)
It is easier to manage than a 5-7 ft, in my experience, on a cramped rolling deck
I find it easier to retrieve than a standard length hose.
Of course, for gas sharing it is better than the standard primary hose length .

creggur
08-25-2007, 10:02
Not to hijack the thread, but is this the one you're talking about..This is from Atomic's website, I think they call it the Universal Swivel..
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x267/creggur/Univ_Swivel_C.jpg

Do you just order it with the 40" hose?
Do you remember approx. cost?

Splitlip
08-25-2007, 10:24
That's the one.
I don't remember the cost, but I got the scubaboard discount (I think) from ScubaToys.
I don't know what stock lengths they come, but I just asked Larry to get me the 40".
You have to make sure they know that you don't have an Atomic reg when you order.

edit. Just checked the site. That's it. "Universal"

creggur
08-25-2007, 10:30
That's the one.
I don't remember the cost, but I got the scubaboard discount from ScubaToys.
I don't know what stock lengths they come, but I just asked Larry to get me the 40".
You have to make sure they know that you don't have an Atomic reg when you order.

edit. Just checked the site. That's it. "Universal"

Many Thanks!!

Thread hijack complete...You may now return to your regularly scheduled programing...:smiley20:

3rdEye
08-25-2007, 11:48
i don't know where I sai that a 7 foot hose meant a rig was DIR compliant...nor, did i say that DIR was all about a 7 foot hose....jeebus....I asked a simple question.

pnevai
08-25-2007, 18:03
7 ft hose? Ok use one if you like, but I would never dive with such a entanglement hazard

creggur
08-25-2007, 19:52
:smilie40:

Splitlip
08-25-2007, 20:24
i don't know where I sai that a 7 foot hose meant a rig was DIR compliant...nor, did i say that DIR was all about a 7 foot hose....jeebus....I asked a simple question.

Got my threads confused. Sorry.
To answer your question, a swivel is probably not DIR as it would represent an unecessary piece of equipment with the potential for failure. With a 5-7 ft long hose, a swivel is not needed. With a 40" primary 2nd stage it is.
I am not DIR

Travelnsj
08-26-2007, 00:40
I am an Airhog....I really appreciate other divers having a 7' long hose:smiley20:

ChrisA
09-14-2007, 01:38
Why would you want to dive with a 7' hose?

A diver who is really OOA, not doing a drill in a class is going to go for the buddy's primary. May as well accept that this will happen. I think some day recdivers will make this the standard. That way no mater if your buddy are the combo inflator/octo or a more traditional rig the can train OW students to alway go for the buddy's primary reg. I'm pertty sure this will happen. Assming I'm right then the backup reg is best placed on a necklace.

I don't think the hose nees to be 7 feet long. That is for diving in tight quarters where you may have to go single file. in open water a 4 or 5 foot hose would do fine.

I bet in 10 years "everyone" will be doing this

datamunk
10-06-2007, 00:06
i like my 5' on my reg... to the original question, you just need a few wrenches and youll be good to go.

Scubastud16
10-08-2007, 18:56
If it hasn't been said yet (didn't see it...)

I wouldn't reccomend changing it yourself, unless you're really familiar with regs. You can change the "tune" of the regulator that is done at service if you twist the wrong part, and that would be a pretty crappy situation. I would reccomend taking it to someone to be done!

Danny