PDA

View Full Version : How much did you gain over the holidays?

ektess1
12-29-2008, 20:33
The holiday period seems to do bad things to our waist.:smiley21:
To much food. To much to drink. :smiley20:
How have you faired?
About 10 lbs for me.:smiley32:

Next question. What are you going to do about it.:smiley13:
More time at the gym for me.

Shenanigan
12-29-2008, 20:54
I don't think I gained any weight. Clothes still fit the same. Family is half way across the country, so I didn't partake of the usual holiday meals. I'll make up for it on vacation in a few days though!! :smiley36:

Lulubelle
12-29-2008, 21:05
None, gaining was not in my plan of action. Helped that I was sick and didn't feel like eating.

jbres1
12-29-2008, 21:11
I picked up 3 lbs over the past 4 weeks.
Too much eating out and too much drink.
Well I will do my annual lent weight loss again.
I give up fries and pop for lent, and drop 8 to 10 lbs every year.

Jim Breslin

shawnwill36
12-29-2008, 22:09
bout 10 but could be because the anti depressants :)

Skuttle
12-29-2008, 22:22
Combination of the holidays and quiting smoking. I'm afriad to venture how much..:smiley5:

Diver Kat
12-29-2008, 22:31
Considering the end-of-year work lunches and holiday meals, taking a cruise and then Christmas dinner, surprisingly I've dropped about 8 lbs over the last 3 weeks .... now if I could only figure out how I did it .....

SynCitizen
12-29-2008, 22:53
Combination of the holidays and quiting smoking. I'm afriad to venture how much..:smiley5:

Thats my scenario too, and 20lbs to show for it.... :smiley30:

Lulubelle
12-29-2008, 22:57
Considering the end-of-year work lunches and holiday meals, taking a cruise and then Christmas dinner, surprisingly I've dropped about 8 lbs over the last 3 weeks .... now if I could only figure out how I did it .....

OK Kat, I'm not sure I like you anymore. Are you freaking kidding me? It took me three months of working out 5 times a week plus the personal trainer from hell for 2 of those times every week to do the same. Not having holiday meals, endless cruise food, and barely Christmas dinner (sick). Only a bunch of parties in December where I was very careful about what I ate and drank.

Grrrrr....
:smiley5:

Lulubelle
12-29-2008, 22:58

Hey, but you quite smoking!!!! So much more important. Just throw the scale away and get going with some exercise!

waytooslow
12-30-2008, 00:08
9 lbs.... argggghhhhh hit the gym

JimHar99
12-30-2008, 05:11
I picked up about 4 lbs. I hope to have them off by the second week in Jan.
The weight gain wasn't a shock, I enjoyed myself and now it's time to get back to normal exercise and eating habbits.

dallasdivergirl
12-30-2008, 05:36
this was not a normal holiday season, illness laid me low between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Plus we haven't had my family christmas yet. I think I am about the same, after this weekend it may be an entirely different story.

kjvander
12-30-2008, 10:38
since august i have put back on 20 of the 40 that i lost. starting again this Jan i am getting back into the working out routine as i won't be traveling as much again and can have a more consistant diet and work out routine.

hychang
12-30-2008, 11:10
I'm too scared to look right now. Clothes a "little snug" right now where there was some room prior to the holidays. Sustained an injury to my foot that "prevented" me from working out. Now that it's mostly healed, I've returned to the gym to beat the New Year's rush. We're starting another round of the "biggest loser" at work starting in January. This time, I'll take it seriously.

I hope that everyone has a Happy and Safe New Year!

gNats
12-30-2008, 11:35
I think I lost weight. But, I'm not an overly food motivated person - I actually have to be reminded to eat.

Plus, I have a trip to Bonaire coming up - so I am being extra good about snacking.

Rhino
12-30-2008, 12:10
If this applies to you, betcha' Larry can cut you a deal on a new, larger wetsuit! :smiley20:

texdiveguy
12-30-2008, 12:44
.......3lbs.

WV Diver
12-30-2008, 13:10
The holidays aren't over yet. :smilie39: But to answer the question, Waaaaaaaaaay too much.:smiley36:

BarbadosSlim93
12-30-2008, 13:52
The holiday period seems to do bad things to our waist.:smiley21:
To much food. To much to drink. :smiley20:
How have you faired?
About 10 lbs for me.:smiley32:

Next question. What are you going to do about it.:smiley13:
More time at the gym for me.

I haven't put anything on for the holidays cumulative...But I am getting the sympathy pregnancy weight that my wife is putting on. Since I had double hernia surgery and found out my wife is expecting I have put on about 10 pounds.

What am I gonig to do about it? Well once we get the kids out of her, I don't think we will have time to go on those craving trips to Taco Bell or anywhere!

tndiverdude
12-30-2008, 13:58
I didn't gain that much over the holidays. I worked overtime 12 14 hour days so I was not eating that much and wife and daughter were ill.

Over the year however 35 plus pounds all totalled.
I want to be in the water!

TRACI
12-30-2008, 13:58
Almost 1 lb.

ektess1
12-30-2008, 15:48
Taci, I would not even notice 1 lb. Some times it is good being a large guy.

Rockhound76
12-30-2008, 15:48
I just read a book on quantum mechanics. It implies that as long as I don't try to observe my weight, I will neither gain nor lose.

I'm staying away from the bathroom scale in order to avoid "collapsing the wave function."

USF_Diver
12-30-2008, 15:49
I have no idea I dont own a scale lol

sravin1
12-30-2008, 23:08
what wave function is that? what book? what principle????

just curious

I just read a book on quantum mechanics. It implies that as long as I don't try to observe my weight, I will neither gain nor lose.

I'm staying away from the bathroom scale in order to avoid "collapsing the wave function."

Diver Kat
12-30-2008, 23:18

OK Kat, I'm not sure I like you anymore. Are you freaking kidding me? It took me three months of working out 5 times a week plus the personal trainer from hell for 2 of those times every week to do the same. Not having holiday meals, endless cruise food, and barely Christmas dinner (sick). Only a bunch of parties in December where I was very careful about what I ate and drank.

Grrrrr....
:smiley5:Don't hate me yet ... you don't know how many pounds overweight I am to begin with!! :smiley9:

Lone Frogman
12-31-2008, 04:15
I don't think any, my clothes feel the same. Last time on the scales was at a long time ago.

Rockhound76
01-05-2009, 11:10
what wave function is that? what book? what principle????

just curious

I've been away...

Try this explanation:
(Detailed): QUANTUM-D: Can Schrodinger's Cat Collapse the Wavefunction? (http://nonlocal.com/quantum-d/v2/kbowden_03-15-97.html)

(Cliff Notes -Wiki-Version): Schrödinger's cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger's_cat)

Oh, and the book I (really) just re-read was Brian Greene's Elegant Universe. It's about string theory, but there are intros on quantum decoherence couched in lay terms (which works for me, hehe.) I first came across it a few years ago, but it is a great book.
Also, I'd suggest Googling "Everett's Many Worlds" for an alternate view. If you buy that line of reasoning, I am still skinny in some other Universe, just (apparently) not in this one....

fisheater
01-05-2009, 13:12
I was going to answer "zero," but I went diving yesterday and had real trouble putting on my depth-compensating rubber weight belt.

Damn thing shrank between 12/21 and yesterday.

divingbuddy
01-05-2009, 15:17
I checked today at the gym after work - somehow I dropped 5 pounds in the last two weeks.

I guess the jogging helped.

Cheers!

Black-Gorrilla
01-05-2009, 16:05
i went to the gym trough the holidays... and gained nothing, lost nothing. Still at about 283. which means that without all the eating i would have lost something.

mocepts
01-05-2009, 16:15
1 - 2lbs. I ate alot, but I steared clear of the high carb foods.

chicken
01-05-2009, 16:27
After a 2 week hiatas from the gym I hopped on the scale and gained 6 pounds! I tried taking my shoes off but it only dropped a half pound.

I worked extra hard during spin class and will cut out the holiday menu...hope my wetsuit still fits next weekend!

ektess1
01-05-2009, 20:23
My scale in cruel. It is electronic. Sometimes it is 5 lbs heavy. Then when you get off it gives you an error message. Step back on and it gives you the correct weight.
The cruel part is it isn't alway heavy the first time. The weight is too high. You think 'that's alright. It's an error.' But it isn't an error. You are actually 5 pounds heavier than you thought you were.
Saddistic machine.

kjvander
01-06-2009, 08:46
well i am back down 2 pounds already....just gotta keep going to the gym and keep on the diet and i'll make it.

ScubaJenn81
01-06-2009, 13:34
I gained only 2 lbs. I was happy with that though, as I ate enough junk food that I felt about 10 pounds heavier.

MSilvia
01-06-2009, 14:06
I gained 4 lbs, but it'll come back off fast.

sea princess
01-06-2009, 21:39
I gained four pounds too. but i am determined to lose it. I didn't spend the last two years losing 30 pounds to have it creep back on me!

emt
01-22-2009, 23:03
Like USF Diver, I rarely have the urge to go check a scale. After a certain age, probably about 45 you get to the point that you are either thin, "normal if their is such a thing", large , or obese. Weight usually varies 5 lbs up or down over the year and no big deal. Don't worry, you'll all get their soon enough.
I love what Terry Bradshaw said on Jimmy Kimmell a few weeks ago about his "looks". He's laughing and cutting up with Kimmell even about himself. "when I shave in the morning, I'm ugly, I'm really ugly." He doesn't worry about the changes, he just has fun. 11.7.08 show part 2 on uTube.
I think much less about my looks (can't do much about it) or a 5 lb variation; but I have to remind myself that I have to keep on exercising = #1 priority for my health.

kjvander
01-23-2009, 07:46
well i've lost 4 pounds since starting.....but i'm also weight training so i'm watching measurements too....as long as i can get the size down i'm cool with the weight...as long as it's muscle.

BuzzF117
01-23-2009, 18:55
Im finally back up to my "playing weight" my eating habits haven't really returned since June when I had my surgery and was on the pain meds and didn't feel like eating I was concerned but now I feel pretty good.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
01-23-2009, 23:41
Didn't gain any weight during the holidays. Can't explain it. I certainly ate and drank more.

PvtStash
01-24-2009, 03:35
making me a svelte 256 lbs... , down a total of 147 lbs. now since I started losing to scuba dive back in April of '07.

:)

ektess1
01-24-2009, 13:24
making me a svelte 256 lbs... , down a total of 147 lbs. now since I started losing to scuba dive back in April of '07.

:)

WOW. That is awsome. Keep up the good work. How did you do it?

I am still fighting the 10 lbs that I gained.

PvtStash
01-25-2009, 10:43
WOW. That is awsome. Keep up the good work. How did you do it?

I am still fighting the 10 lbs that I gained.

I cut out all pop, even diet (except on weekends), started making a point of increasing my water intake..., cut out fat, sugar, salt... dried beans are good (pinto, navy, etc.) protein, fiber, no fat... tuna fish, cottage cheese (lowfat/no fat), fruits an vegetables , turkey instead of beef...

and exercise... 5 outta 7 days/wk... on an elliptical machine... 1 hr. sessions.

But on the weekends Anything Goes... Friday/Saturday if I want Taco Bell, pizza, wings, chocolate or ice cream or candy or ANYTHING, I eat it. Its great, I never cheat during the week, I dont have to cus I Know I can have whatever I want on the weekends; and I cant argue with the results...

Sure I probably could have lost it even faster if I Didnt drop my regime on the weekends but then I'd probably feel deprived and cheat and then feel like crap and quit the whole deal... plus I think its good to mix it up calorie-wise... if your eating low calorie over too long a time maybe your body Adjusts to that... by increasing my calories on weekends I think I'm telling my body "its ok we're not in a famine/starving"

My wife's on the plan too (not really a plan as much as a lifestyle change), she's lost 63 pounds...

MSilvia
01-26-2009, 10:45
How have you faired?
I'm actually 5 lbs. lighter now than I was Dec. 1st.
-45 lbs. since early 2007.

kjvander
01-26-2009, 11:37
still going strong here....lost another 2 lbs this week. hoping to kick it up a notch and do cardio and lifting 5 days a week.

kjvander
01-26-2009, 11:38
plus also i've changed my diet a little bit to exclude the bad things but include more of the good things that i like...

emt
01-27-2009, 07:52
I like the idea of PVTSTASH avoiding the pops & other liquids with sugar,glucose, fructose, etc. My highest weight was 215 in 10th grade when I started varsity football. Finished 12th grade at about 205 lb and stayed at about 190lb till about 25yr age. That was about when equal came out and I substituted it for my previous sugar in the 6 cups of coffee I drink daily. Also began racquetball and played in a few low division tournaments and got to about 174 lb. Many years have passed since the 174lb days, probably at about 184lb now and still on equal but no racquetball in last year, about to start a little again but it took a year for shoulder injury from snowboarding meeting with the ground to heal enough to swing it again.
A few other things I noted over the years, If I just did aerobics and light weight lifting = I usually lost weight.
When I tried maxing out on weight lifting = I usually gained weight & I was always hungry.

LiteHedded
01-27-2009, 08:01
i gained 5 pounds.
I was out of town for 2 weeks eating like a CHAMPION!
i did lose it all tho :P

kjvander
01-27-2009, 08:23
now down 5 pounds....need to get on this though.....dive season only a few short months away.

Monkeylemon
01-28-2009, 10:17
Damn the yuletide fudge!

fldiver
01-30-2009, 18:20
Probably 5lb but I went diving today so back to 4lb over.

chicken
01-30-2009, 19:29
I finally regained my pre-holiday weight! Only took a month of working out and rationing my beer intake!

ektess1
01-31-2009, 21:37
I finally regained my pre-holiday weight! Only took a month of working out and rationing my beer intake!

Now that is what I call commitment!

I can't give up the beer. I am drinking one right now.:drunk::drunk::drinkA::drankere:

Splitlip
01-31-2009, 22:23
No clue.

Your profile does not say if you are mail or female. Since you asked the question I assume you are a chick.

I'm a guy. So my reply..." I don't care."

The world is my urinal. :smiley36:

ektess1
02-01-2009, 13:06
Hey Spiltlip, I didn't start this thread with you in mind. That you care about the people here, or me in particular, is really not relevant to anything.
I think that you confussed this thread with the thread that is questioning your sex and sexual orientation.
This thread is about weight gain and loss.
I hope this helps overcome your obvious confusion.

Splitlip
02-01-2009, 13:33
Hey Spiltlip, I didn't start this thread with you in mind. That you care about the people here, or me in particular, is really not relevant to anything.
I think that you confussed this thread with the thread that is questioning your sex and sexual orientation.
This thread is about weight gain and loss.
I hope this helps overcome your obvious confusion.

:smiley32:

Italianprincess
02-01-2009, 14:59
About 5 pounds for me! Snuck right up on me! Gonna exercise more!

fanatique
02-07-2009, 16:12
Despite the holiday feasting, I gained 3 pounds (lower than the average here :D) and have just managed to shave the same 3 pounds off with lots of running. Stupid holiday food gets me everytime.