PDA

View Full Version : cleaning up a quarry?

terfmop
12-29-2008, 21:29
Last June, central IN experienced quite a few floods. One of the closest quarries to me, Blue Springs, fell victim to the flooding (you can take a look at the pictures of the damage over on Scubaboard ). Following the flooding, the visibility was reported to be quite horrible. Recent reports still describe visibility in the 5' range with a 1-2" layer of silt on everything under water. Sounds as if the the conditions are not improving in the slightest. Water quality tests have been performed and the quarry has been "OK'd" to dive in.

So, I'm wondering if there is a feasible way of cleaning up a quarry? Is there a practical filtration system for a quarry-sized body of water? Is there a system that divers could assist in the process? Any natural processes? Un-natural processes (zebra mussels)?

Just wondering. Hate to think the nearest place is no longer a viable diving oppurtunity.

snagel
12-30-2008, 06:24
I've talked at length to several about cleaning up quarries (ponds) but nothing really sounded easy or cheap. It involves dredging and removing silt. Not sure if there is a cheap filtration system that would work.

My guess, is we will have to wait and see if mother-nature can take care of herself.

Snagel

crpntr133
12-30-2008, 23:21
Dredging would make it worse but would get rid of the source. Dredge then let it settle

Empacher
12-31-2008, 06:54
Mechanical Filtration would be expensive...How about bio filtration, where u could pump silty water thru vegetation and get cleaned water in return...We use a smaller version of this for our 10x10 Koi pond...