PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit needed for New England diving

superkingkong
08-19-2007, 16:14
hi guys,

since i'll will be here in Boston for quite sometimes, planning to do some diving around here. what kind of thickness do i need?

cheers.

3rdEye
08-19-2007, 20:45
i would guess you're going to need a 7mm or thicker

cgvmer
08-19-2007, 20:51
7mm or dry-suit!

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 20:53
7mm is for florida springs..
must go dry for anywhere out of florida/non-tropical :smiley20:

medic001918
08-19-2007, 21:02
At least a 7mm...but you'll have a shorter season diving wet. A good number of divers in the area are diving dry. I went dry this year and wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Diving's never been more enjoyable. We're just waiting for the Mrs. drysuit to show up as well...

Shane

jerdr1
08-20-2007, 06:03
You can dive all wear in a 7 mil with a hooded vest in new england drysuit can be nicer to get out with though. We get the most clarity in the winter here. Have over 600 dives in New England waters

rubberduck
08-20-2007, 06:25
I dive a 2 piece 7mm from April-Nov. If you want to go year round youi'll need a drysuit. I know of some people that go year round wet but they have to pick and choose the days.

subsur
08-20-2007, 11:00
at least 7 mm wetsuit and hood, 5 mm gloves. depending on when you're diving and how sensitive you are to getting cold. some people dive 7 mm during summer (June-September), lots of people dive with 10-14 mm core and 5-7mm the rest, the rest of people dive dry. get boots with hard soles.
After October and before June - go dry.

superkingkong
08-20-2007, 15:11
gosh.. that cold? looks like i landed in the wrong place :P ... i mean for diving :)

i dove with my 1.5mm in Florida, somewhere end of Mar.

diving dry? ... hmm, guess i'm not ready yet :P

another problem for me with local diving is that, i don't have a transport. so, it's kind of "hard" to get to those places. unless it's easily reachable by using public transport.

somewhereinla
08-20-2007, 18:24
Get the MARES Isotherm semi dry, It's a great suit, very warm and very dry except in the wrists and ankles area... It's my winter suit in South Cal. I can dive in hi 40's low 50's no problem. Great suit...

superkingkong
08-20-2007, 20:12
Get the MARES Isotherm semi dry, It's a great suit, very warm and very dry except in the wrists and ankles area... It's my winter suit in South Cal. I can dive in hi 40's low 50's no problem. Great suit...

it sounds nice... you don't have to wear anything inside?

Darth Fishhead
08-24-2007, 18:01
I dive 7mm as a local. If you are planning on renting a suit, you'll probably be happiest in a farmer john/shorty combo. It's super bulky and you'll need more weight than you ever imagined, but you'll be warm. Don't forget your hood and gloves. (Keeping that 1.5mm for under the suit would be a good idea for a WWW {warm water wuss}):smilie39:

Souvy
08-24-2007, 23:20
Most of my diving is in the Gloucester/Rockport area and I use a 7mm wetsuit with a thin (maybe 1.5 mm) hooded vest underneath. I also use 4mm Pinnacle Karbonflex gloves which I love. The coldest temperature I've been in was 46 degrees so far and I was fine in that although my hands did get a bit cold after about 30 minutes or so. Once it hits the mid-50's, it's no worries though.

I've had my eye on Pinnacle's Polar semi-dry suit. A friend of mine dives an older version that is very similar, which he loves. It's a 7mm/5mm mix and I like the fact that the hood is part of the wetsuit (one less thing to forget for me).

cummings66
08-25-2007, 07:13
Next to a drysuit the semi dry is useful, however the cost is pretty high so at that point some consider going dry.

I think a 7mm wetsuit can be useful for a large part of the year but at times you will need to limit your depths and or days of diving. There will be a time when you won't dive at all of course, but it's not more than a few months.

superkingkong
08-25-2007, 12:24
Thanks for the idea :)
well, saw some semi-dry... it's quite pricey though. probably i'll get a 7mm. i have a 2.5mm vest.. i think it'll go underneath.

for the gloves, i'm looking at insta-dry 3mm and karbonflex 4mm.... still cracking my head with both of them :)

any advices? :)

Hidreck
10-16-2007, 04:33

this is what i use in seabeck, wa
dive year around with temp down to 40.