PDA

View Full Version : Didn't know this

Lulubelle
12-30-2008, 05:48
I was poking around the DAN website because

1)I hope to work there one of these days, they are here

2)I wanted to read up on a few medical topics before my trip since I will be diving more frequently than usual

Meds...

This is an old article, but I was surprised by it. Sudafed being potentially risky to those using EANx? That was something that was going to be in my bag since we are in cold/flu season. Stuffy sinuses and ears don't work too well while diving either. The examples are good and look mostly to be associated with deeper diving.

DAN Divers Alert Network : Pseudoephedrine & Enriched-Air Diving? (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=51)

wgt
12-30-2008, 06:13
Why not guard against added risk by setting the alarm on your computer to buzz at a pO2 of 1.2?! Also, feel free to take a shot of antioxidant orange juice before the dive.

Yes, stimulants increase vulnerability to the toxic effects of oxygen, so remember to take precautions and be smart (this is also true for those taking stimulants for ADHD). Being smart very importantly includes limiting physical exertion under water, as elevated CO2 levels dilate blood vessels, also rendering the diver more vulnerable to the toxic effects of the oxygen.

2)I wanted to read up on a few medical topics before my trip since I will be diving more frequently than usual

Meds...

This is an old article, but I was surprised by it. Sudafed being potentially risky to those using EANx? That was something that was going to be in my bag since we are in cold/flu season. Stuffy sinuses and ears don't work too well while diving either. The examples are good and look mostly to be associated with deeper diving.

DAN Divers Alert Network : Pseudoephedrine & Enriched-Air Diving? (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=51)

Lulubelle
12-30-2008, 06:25
Why not guard against added risk by setting the alarm on your computer to buzz at a pO2 of 1.2?! Also, feel free to take a shot of antioxidant orange juice before the dive.

Yes, stimulants increase vulnerability to the toxic effects of oxygen, so remember to take precautions and be smart (this is also true for those taking stimulants for ADHD). Being smart very importantly includes limiting physical exertion under water, as elevated CO2 levels dilate blood vessels, also rendering the diver more vulnerable to the toxic effects of the oxygen.

Meds...

You must be a dive doc, thanks! I'm guessing that all of the decongestants will have the same issue? They are all stimulants to some degree.

cummings66
12-30-2008, 07:50
You can take the sniff version of it. DAN refers to it by it's chemical name, most of us refer to it as Afrin. The issue is you can only use it for a few days or you get rebound and that's going to suck.

At any rate, I don't use Pseudoephedrine products due to the DAN article and found it right after I got Nitrox certified.

Lulubelle
12-30-2008, 08:00
You can take the sniff version of it. DAN refers to it by it's chemical name, most of us refer to it as Afrin. The issue is you can only use it for a few days or you get rebound and that's going to suck.

At any rate, I don't use Pseudoephedrine products due to the DAN article and found it right after I got Nitrox certified.

It looked to me like most of the incident occurred on fairly deep dives. Still, in the absence of data, I'd have to agree. The sniff version of it still probably gets enough in your system to have some effect. Still a stimulant.

Thanks for sharing.

tndiverdude
12-30-2008, 14:01
We use only sprays not systemics. DAN doc locally recommended a few that acted differently and they seem to be better than orals.
Nasalcrom, Pure Oxymetaxylozone with saline buffer keeps clear with no effects except on nasal membranes.

cummings66
12-31-2008, 06:53
Nasalcrom, Pure Oxymetaxylozone with saline buffer keeps clear with no effects except on nasal membranes.

"Pure Oxymetaxylozone with saline buffer" brings to mind the question, what brand do you buy? I know Afrin is based on it, but it has other things in it. It also has a rebound effect as do the others with that ingredient. Here is what it's made of.

Active Ingredients: Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride (0.05%) (Nasal Decongestant)

Inactive Ingredients: Benzalkonium Chloride Solution, Benzyl Alcohol, Camphor, Edetate Disodium, Eucalyptol, Menthol, Polysorbate 80, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Phosphate Dibasic, Sodium Phosphate Monobasic, Water

From a government website here is the various brand names I researched, none of them contain just the two ingredients you listed.

Brand names
Afrin® products
Dristan 12-Hour Nasal Spray
Duramist Plus®
Neo-Synephrine® 12-Hour Spray
Neo-Synephrine® 12-Hour Extra Moisturizing Spray
Nostrilla®
Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Nasal Spray
Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Ultrafine MistOf all of them Nostrilla seems to have the fewest extra ingrediants though and I will attest to them working very well for a few days. I've never used it more than 2 days in a row because I want to err on the side of caution. At any rate, the above is all I know and I'm very interested in the pure version. Is it prescription and not OTC? I used Afrin because it was all the local store had, but if I can find Nostrilla locally I'm switching to it, or perhaps Neo-Synephrine based on what I researched a bit ago. That all depends on if there is a more pure version as you posted, I'm interested in that.

fyrdyvr
01-08-2009, 12:32
Thanks for this info. I have always taken a Sudafed before diving just to keep from getting that clogged up feeling that always happened when I dove. Guess I'll just learn to blow my nose underwater :)

thor
01-09-2009, 12:49
If you read the article, it doesn't seem to indicate that there is any conclusive data that you can't take Sudafed and dive Nitrox. I have spoken to DAN about this issue in the past, and they seem to indicate that the adverse effects are all anectodal, and not based on any testing trials or pharmacological evidence. However, the dive agencies play it safe and warn you against it , for liability reasons.

Lulubelle
01-09-2009, 12:58
If you read the article, it doesn't seem to indicate that there is any conclusive data that you can't take Sudafed and dive Nitrox. I have spoken to DAN about this issue in the past, and they seem to indicate that the adverse effects are all anectodal, and not based on any testing trials or pharmacological evidence. However, the dive agencies play it safe and warn you against it , for liability reasons.

Medicine can only stand firm on that which it can prove or disprove. With that being said, there is much that it hasn't proven or disproven yet and common assumptions are being turned on their head every day. I suspect that due to the nature of this theoretical concern, we will never have "hard data" to prove or disprove it. To me, the anecdotal evidence is strong enough that I will choose to dive more conservatively if I need to take a decongestant. Here in NC recreational divers like myself dive at the outer limits of recreational depths. I noted that the case reports that were attached to the DAN report seemed to be deeper dives. So noted. I can do any number of things to reduce my risk if I am at these depths and will do so if I am taking a decongestant. And I would certainly rather dive with a decongestant on board than to dive with my sinuses and ears plugged up. I was glad to read this.