PDA

View Full Version : Uwatec 3 gauge console question

rayaa3
12-30-2008, 09:26
Hi guys I have a question for you...

My wife and I have uwatec 3 gauge consoles - like this:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_957/Context_954/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_1%3d336%2c341/UTCAP3.html?Hit=1

We didn't buy them at LP (actually bought them at a LDS).

When we originally bought them we had gauges, over the last 3 years, I've upgraded both of us to computers (that I bought from ST and LP).

I have found that taking the computer in and out of the console is a HUGE pain in the shorts...there really is no way of doing it without a flat head screw driver. I seat the computer in the boot so that it lays flush with it...I've had to remove my oceanic twice for new batteries and I always worry I'm going to damage the computer by prying it out with a screw driver.

So my questions:

1) does anyone else have this boot - and do you find it to be as troublesome or have you found a solution?

2) am I just being paranoid about damaging the computer by working it out with a screw driver (I'm as careful as possible - but we are talking about fragile equipment in a small tight space.)

The only other thing I'm thinking is maybe the computer isn't suppose to sit flush in the console - if I left a 'lip' of the computer sticking out it would be easier to remove...also easier to bang on the floor of the boat, back of my truck, etc.

anyways, thanks in advance for any advice...

Splitlip
12-30-2008, 09:50
I have one with Uwatec/Subapro computers and compass. I can and do switch the modules out to wrist boots on a regular basis without the use of tools.
The Pelagic modules I would assume are not the same as the Uwatec, thus causing the problems.

rayaa3
12-30-2008, 14:44
that's an interesting point - I honestly thought all Puck's were pretty much the same size (that would be too easy).

It is interesting though - the original gauge that was in the socket is just as difficult to remove as the computer I removed, actually, a little more difficult, because the original gauge was recessed deeper into the socket. I would think if anything was going to be a perfect fit, it would have been the gauge originally in there....then again...I could just be whining!

at any rate - you answered my question - you have that boot and don't have any trouble.

Thanks.

rayaa3
01-19-2009, 19:07
You know after I played with this some more, I think that the modules are easier to remove than I gave credit for, I just needed to apply a little more bend, to the boot. Sounds funny, but basically that was it.

CompuDude
01-21-2009, 13:24
Try soaking the plastic parts in really hot water for a few minutes (not too hot, I wouldn't want to damage the computer) and the console will bend a lot easier.