PDA

View Full Version : 8-18 Pete Tide and Bridge Rubble report- Pensacola

cmufieldhockey8
08-19-2007, 16:45
Went out on my buddy's boat to the Pete Tide, a 180 foot long oil field supply boat that sits upright in about 100 feet of water. We met another boat with 2 more divers. My buddy was spearfishing and I was doing my first boat dive in doubles, also carrying a stage bottle for practice since I'm starting my deco class. I live on the coast and it was my first boat dive in over 2 months!

The wreck was gorgeous! Completely intact, with lots of life and doors/portholes to peek in. A few swim-throughs too! Its wrecks like these that have resulted in my not diving the Oriskany yet (although I'm sure there's a big difference.) I'm very happy with a wreck like this. 46 min dive bottoming out at 103 feet. One of the most rewarding things about this dive was observing my buddy's improvement in his diving. I dove with him frequently when he first got certified, and I was quite proud with his diving and air consumption yesterday.

I would've loved to do a 2nd dive on the Pete Tide, but the other divers has some numbers for some bridge rubble they wanted to check out. It ended up mostly being sand with a few mostly buried pipes. There were, however quite a few sand dollars. 51 minute dive, mostly at 79 feet.

The real treat was the safety stop- dolphins! There were 5 of them checking us out, 2 were spotted. They swam around us and got within 10 feet! Very very cool and made for a very safe dive because my safety stop was 11 minutes long :)

cgvmer
08-19-2007, 21:14
Very cool, I would love to see dolphins on a dive.

I agree with great fun diving on shallower sites.

mwhities
08-19-2007, 22:18
Love your reports. Keep them coming.... sometimes I feel as though I make you post them. ;)

Michael

cmufieldhockey8
08-19-2007, 22:24
That's 'cause you do.:smiley16:

CrzyJay456
08-25-2007, 17:31
dolphin the mammal? if so thats so cool. i always wanted to see dolphins when i go diving.
yet to see em.

mwhities
08-30-2007, 10:45
That's 'cause you do.:smiley16:

Ohh yeah, I do do that don't I? ;)

Michael

willardj
08-30-2007, 10:57
The Pete's Tide is a great dive. I took my wife there for her first deep dive 2 year's ago. Had a great time.

fire diver
08-30-2007, 11:06
Great report.

My first time to ever see the sea was at Sarasota. I LOVE that area. I would like to come back and do some diving down there. I remember free-diving off the beach and looking for shells and sand dollars. I never knew that live ones were brown and hairy. Then one time while on the surface I saw several dorsal fins cruise by about 20 feet away. Scared the life out of me! I didn't yet know how to tell the difference between dolphin and shark dorsals. If I had known I would have hung around instead of swimming for shore as fast as I could.

FD