PDA

View Full Version : Different certifications and training

spotteddog
08-19-2007, 17:35
How does it work say for example...I have PDIC open water... I want to take an advanced class...do i HAVE to take a PDIC advanced, NITROX, deep, etc...?

ScubaToys Larry
08-19-2007, 17:49
No.. all the agencies accept other agencies at face value (until you get up into the pro type levels ; Divemaster, instructor, etc.

We have people come in all the time saying they have a Padi open water, and can they take our nitrox class... I tell them "Sure! We'll just talk slower!" :smiley2:

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 18:02
We have people come in all the time saying they have a Padi open water, and can they take our nitrox class... I tell them "Sure! We'll just talk slower!" :smiley2:

:smilie39: so bad but so right

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-19-2007, 20:00
No.. all the agencies accept other agencies at face value (until you get up into the pro type levels ; Divemaster, instructor, etc.

:smilie39: so bad but so right

HA HA :smiley29:

cgvmer
08-19-2007, 20:45
with that PADI bash I thought I was on another board for a minute!

tedtim
08-19-2007, 22:22
with that PADI bash I thought I was on another board for a minute!
Especially since it came from Larry.:smiley11:

thesmoothdome
08-19-2007, 22:45
Not everything needs to be taken seriously.

Being a PADI trained diver,if I thought Larry was serious I'd have to :anim_50cal:

namabiru
08-20-2007, 11:47

:smiley19: Meanie.

Not all us PADI divers talk with twangs and drink gasoline from the gas pump and bring shotguns to weddings, you know. I for one leave my shotgun on my gun rack and drink my gasoline with a slice of lemon, from a white china teacup and saucer, thank you very much. :smiley36:

ScubaToys Larry
08-20-2007, 11:49
Oh geeze... Just a joke... I started out as a padi diver, padi instructor, and I spent a week in australia with the president of padi. It has been said 1000 times... it's really the instructor - not the acronym that makes the class.

And people ask.. then why do you pick on Padi... "Because there is so much to choose from!":smiley36:

Ok... it's still a joke!

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 12:02
Twang...I'm not sure my Jersey City accent would be referred to as a twang!

OH and I was kidding about a bash....that was mild compared to some I've heard.

namabiru
08-20-2007, 13:14
Oh come now. Even PADI folk pick on PADI. And everyone should pick on Larry since he picked on Joe, who's stuck minding the scuba shop :D

After all,

Put Another Dollar In

Pay Another Dollar Immediately

And so on and so forth.

cummings66
08-20-2007, 18:38
I'm Padi and NASE trained. I don't mind the digs, I think as Larry said the instructor makes a larger difference than the agency. I know for OW my instructor did more than required actually teaching some limited rescue skills for entanglements and such. Padi did OW, NASE for AOW and Padi for Rescue, well I got some specialities from NASE and Padi as well.

To be honest, having looked at the books for the training, my AOW from NASE had more material in it to know compared to Padi, but it's not slick and glossy. The rescue course of theirs is different compared to Padi, but a lot of that again is instructor dependant.

Larry has taught a number of brands and I'd say he has more first hand experience into how they really compare. I knew he made a joke and personally thought it was funny, not falling down funny but humorous.

Jethroish
08-21-2007, 16:47
Larry told me the same thing, about talking slower, when I asked about Nitrox. Except he used SSi instead of PADI.
All in fun.

I look at it like riding a motorcycle. I don't care if you ride a HD, Kaw, Yamaha, as long as you ride and enjoy.
Some folks just take it wayyyyy too seriously.

TxScubaBear
08-21-2007, 16:51
Larry told me the same thing, about talking slower, when I asked about Nitrox. Except he used SSi instead of PADI.
All in fun.

I look at it like riding a motorcycle. I don't care if you ride a HD, Kaw, Yamaha, as long as you ride and enjoy.
Some folks just take it wayyyyy too seriously.

Life's short! Enjoy it! (humor and all...)

Divegirl
08-27-2007, 00:06
Is the SSI a very limited class that is given, the dive shop that I took my course from was SSI, and I don't meet many other divers that are SSI, some have never heard of it.

scubasamurai
08-27-2007, 17:53
ok ok pick on padi but leave the jersey bashing alone!!! i might find some of you guys at the bottom wearing some ghotti shoes! hahaha

cudachaser
08-28-2007, 08:12
I've taught thru NASDS, PADI, MDEA, NASE & HSAI.

The best instructor training I've had was thru HSAI. I currently teach thru NASE and HSAI. I feel NASE has the most flexible teaching requirements for an independent instructor like me. Many of my customers work in industries like the airlines where they can't do a rigid time schedule for classes

PlatypusMan
08-28-2007, 10:43
Oh come now. Even PADI folk pick on PADI. And everyone should pick on Larry since he picked on Joe, who's stuck minding the scuba shop :D

After all,

Put Another Dollar In

Pay Another Dollar Immediately

And so on and so forth.

Hey, I'm with NAUI:

Need
Another
Underwater
Irritant? :smiley13: