PDA

View Full Version : New Setup / Buying from AU

lerroy
01-03-2009, 19:47
Hi Guys

1St Post so ill introduce My Name is Lerroy from Sydney Australia Currently am Padi Certfied have done about 25 Dives In Australia Hawaii and Thailand. Currently im using a Canon IXUS 890 with Canon Housing has been working fine for shallow dives but im getting more and more into underwater photography so its time to upgrade
I dont want to take the big step to DSLR just yet but if i get the right stobes etc..i can always upgrade around this later on

Use
I plan to use the setup almost every weekend be it Surfing photography or diveing / Snorkel, i dont Dive a whole lot maybe once every few months but plan to get into it more. im doing alot of surfing photog right now with current setup

What i was looking at

i was thinking Canon G10 setup with either Canon UWH or ikelite however i cant seem to find any retailers for the ikelite online in Australia ?

i can get both the G10 and houseing for wholesale through a supplier i work for....

i also need some recomendations for strobes / arms etc...

from reading on here i would be better with ikelite for TTL and future upgrades wide angle lens etc...

so i guess my question is would be

do you recommend the G10 as a good UW P&S ?
what houseing ?
retailers in Australia ?
What stobes ?
Ars etc....

thanks guys go easy on the newb :)

lerroy

DevilDiver
01-03-2009, 20:33
Welcome!!

I have not really shot the G10 yet (just the display camera in local stores) but I have shot the G9. These are both at the top of the line for Point & Shoot cameras on the market right now. I believe the 28mm WA on the G10 is a big improvement over the G9 personally.

As far as the housing the Ikelite will most likely be your best bet for the money. You can order Ikelite housings from Scuba Toys on line plus you will get the 10% discount for joining the forum. (You also receive a gift certificate after 10 post ($10.00 US) and another after 250 post($50.00 US))

If you have the $$, I would defiantly check out the new Patima PDCHG10 housing for the G10. (:::: PATIMA UW ENG CO.,LTD. :::: (http://www.patimahousing.com/eng/products/sub2_1.html))

I know you posted that you want to invest in good strobes that will last into the next camera possibly. What else would you be looking for in a strobe? (TTL, price, guide number)

Here is a good web page to compare strobes you should check it out.....
(Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network (http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php))

Cheers!

lerroy
01-03-2009, 22:39
Welcome!!

As far as the housing the Ikelite will most likely be your best bet for the money. You can order Ikelite housings from Scuba Toys on line plus you will get the 10% discount for joining the forum. (You also receive a gift certificate after 10 post ($10.00 US) and another after 250 post($50.00 US))

If you have the $$, I would defiantly check out the new Patima PDCHG10 housing for the G10. (:::: PATIMA UW ENG CO.,LTD. :::: (http://www.patimahousing.com/eng/products/sub2_1.html))

I know you posted that you want to invest in good strobes that will last into the next camera possibly. What else would you be looking for in a strobe? (TTL, price, guide number)

Here is a good web page to compare strobes you should check it out.....
(Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network (http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php))

Cheers!

Hi DevilDiver

Thanks for all the Info, i have my heart set on the G10 i have a mate that has a G7 and its awesome he doesnt really use it underwater though so i fairly close to purchaseing the G10

The houseing im still undecided really like the look of the Patima houseing the website you linked seems to be JP do you have an idea of cost ?

with the ikelite houseing it looks a little larger than the Canon and Patima i like the tighter to the camera idea...but with options to add TTL strobesand extra so im leaning more towards the patima although i think im gonna be scared when i find out the cost :)

thanks for the links and telling me about discounts however the store is in the US with the aussie dollar the way it is i think i would be better sourceing locally but i will do some research

with the strobe well i guess thats also dependent on houseing right ?

i dont want to go cheap and would like get one that is going to last dont know alot about them will do some reading on the links you provided

i guess looking at about 500-600 US
prefrably ikelite sea and sea or similar with quick recharge time

thanks again

DevilDiver
01-04-2009, 00:26
Actually I believe the Patima housing was just announced Jan 1st and I am not sure if it is in distribution just yet. Should not be long since other manufactures have got their housings out on the market.... The G9 housing was released at $999.00 US, I would guess the G10 would be the same.

The FIX G10 (I believe this is the same company as Seatool) housing was just released as well. (FIX G10 Housing for Canon Powershot G10 [fix.g10] - $999.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros (http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_32&products_id=3466))

The Ikelite is a great housing and it would leave some cash to pick up some add ons (lens, focus light, ect...)

The strobe is not totally dependent on the housing.

:smiley2: I know that Sea & Sea has some YS-250 Pro Strobes on sale direct from their web page right now (01-04-2009). $400.00 US vs. reg. price $1,099.00 on close out. (go to the Sea & Sea main web page look at the very top far right under close out then go to the bottom of that page)
Very good strobe- 1.8 recycle time, 105x105 beam angle, TTL and manual control

lerroy
01-04-2009, 00:45
Thanks for your help

im going to get one of thoses sea and sea strobes ordered it now and get it sent to a US address and forward it onto me:P

i think i have settled on the ikelite houseing seems sensible and will allow me to get the stobe now for same price as the FIX or Patima

so once i have camera the ikelite houseing and the stobe....

i will need arm for mounting ?? (and batterys and charger not included in sale on sea and sea site)

and ill wait for a wide angle wet lense to be made by ikelite for future

am i right in saying this stobe houseing combo will allow it to be triggered from shoe and disable the internal flash ?

ah im new to all this stobe and connection bussiness please excuse my ignorance

thanks again

lerroy
01-04-2009, 02:04
Hey Just reading this on ikelite site

Strobes from INON or SEA & SEA can be connected with the following sync cords:

#4118.1 One strobe to Ikelite Housing
#4118.2 Two strobes to Ikelite Housing

These cords connect sync circuit only, providing only manual strobe operation. TTL is not possible with these strobes and cords.

so i cant use TTL with the ikelite and sea & sea combo ??

DevilDiver
01-04-2009, 04:13
Hey Just reading this on ikelite site

Strobes from INON or SEA & SEA can be connected with the following sync cords:

#4118.1 One strobe to Ikelite Housing
#4118.2 Two strobes to Ikelite Housing

These cords connect sync circuit only, providing only manual strobe operation. TTL is not possible with these strobes and cords.

so i cant use TTL with the ikelite and sea & sea combo ??

According to the Ikelite site Hardwired TTL can only be achieved with their housings and strobes for point & shoot cameras. You could only use The Ikelite strobes like the DS51.

From your previous post it looks like you already purchased the S&S strobe. If my suggestion has put you in a bad situation I truly apologize.

lerroy
01-04-2009, 15:52
According to the Ikelite site Hardwired TTL can only be achieved with their housings and strobes for point & shoot cameras. You could only use The Ikelite strobes like the DS51.

From your previous post it looks like you already purchased the S&S strobe. If my suggestion has put you in a bad situation I truly apologize.

Hey Nah its not a problem havnt ordered just yet was hanging off till after weekend so all good

ah so i have to get their strobes .... ok fair enough so need to go ikelite all round

DevilDiver
01-04-2009, 16:30

Hey Nah its not a problem havnt ordered just yet was hanging off till after weekend so all good

ah so i have to get their strobes .... ok fair enough so need to go ikelite all round

I am glad to hear that! The 250pro is a great strobe but it is not the best for you........

Ikelite had a strobe package for around $600 with the arm and cord included. The tray and handle look like they come with the housing already (You had better double check)

I sure would be interested to know what you purchase and what you think about it when you get it. It would be great if you could post some pics from the G10 when you get a chance...........

Cheers!!

lerroy
01-04-2009, 16:34
I am glad to hear that! The 250pro is a great strobe but it is not the best for you........

Ikelite had a strobe package for around $600 with the arm and cord included. The tray and handle look like they come with the housing already (You had better double check)

I sure would be interested to know what you purchase and what you think about it when you get it. It would be great if you could post some pics from the G10 when you get a chance...........

Cheers!!

Thanks DevilDiver for all your help

i will look into the ikelite stobes do a bit more reading

i have ordered camera will be here end of week im guessing its gonna take another month or so to get housing and stobes etc.. but as so as i do ill post some photos up :)

thanks