PDA

View Full Version : short Maui trip review

Zenagirl
01-03-2009, 20:50
We just got back from nearly 2 weeks on Maui. We did 7 charters with Ed Robinson's and 1 charter with Lahaina Divers to Lanai. To a fault, the dives were all good to excellent.

We've been diving with both operators for years with Ed Robinson's being our perferred operator due to their focus on the more experienced diver. I honestly felt a bit sorry for a very novice diver who had a few difficulties, the worst of which was putting her hand down on a long spined urchin. <ouch!> The DM did a great job of keeping her with him and watching out for her during both dives, which she really needed.

One of the things that I particularly love about Ed Robinson's crew is that they really love to dive, love to try to find critters, and get excited about the critters that we would all find. On the day my husband found 2 Harlequin shrimp, I think the DM's talked about it more than we did! :) Another thing that keeps us going back to ERDA is that it always feels like we're diving with friends. We were also able to leave our gear on the boat overnight most days that we were diving back to back with them.

On most of our dives we saw either Manta Rays, Spotted Eagle Rays, or both. And we were treated to whale song, sometimes VERY loud, on all of our dives. The dive sites were a great assortment of S. Maui and Molokini sites, and although conditions weren't always ideal, they managed to find great sites where the weather wasn't a big bother.

I wore my new 7mm full suit and was very glad for the thickness of the suit as the water was 74-75 degrees and the surface intervals weren't always warm. Unfortunately it took about 16 dives before it had compressed enough that I could take 2 pounds off, but that's the price we all pay for getting new suits. ;)

Suffice it to say we had a great time and are looking forward to returning at Christmas this year. :D

I'd be more than happy to share any specifics that anyone might be interested in.