PDA

View Full Version : Another hair thread

Lulubelle
01-04-2009, 11:51
OK, I know that the subject of hair has been beaten to death and I have read most of the previous threads and tried many of the strategies to no avail.

My hair type is part of the problem.

I have lots of baby super fine hair. No matter what I do, it falls out of any bands or clips I put it in, gets horribly tangled, gets broken when I comb it out even though I put goo on it, and gets broken by the mask strap.

I have a cover for the mask strap. I have tried a "doo rag" which just fell off. I have a scap cap now that I am going to try on my trip, but to be honest, I have a hard time getting such things to stay on my head, I am big headed/brained. Any creme rinse/conditioner/hair oils that i have tried don't seem to work great, there is still a lot of breakage.

Any new ideas from my fellow fine haired female forum members?

Splitlip
01-04-2009, 13:47
Use a beanie that wraps under your chin. Even in warm water your head will give off a lot of body heat, so I recommend them anyway for repetitive dives. It will also protect your hair.
http://www.unrealfind.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/hood9.jpg

sea princess
01-04-2009, 14:08
The beanie idea might work I would try that. I have tried several things to since i have long thin hair and for me the best thing so far is making two low pony tails and then braiding them. I have holders at the top of the braid and bottom of the braid. I also use a mask strap cover.

Italianprincess
01-04-2009, 14:16
I have the beanie to protect my hair while diving and I SWEAR Hair milk works well to comb through afterward! I still have some breakage and hair loss with a dive, but it's MUCH better now! I too have that baby fine hair, it looks great, but can be a pain in the but to deal with sometimes!

chicken
01-04-2009, 14:17
A crew cut solved the problem for me and as a bonus my shampoo and conditioner bill has been significantly reduced.

Lulubelle
01-04-2009, 15:30
I have the beanie to protect my hair while diving and I SWEAR Hair milk works well to comb through afterward! I still have some breakage and hair loss with a dive, but it's MUCH better now! I too have that baby fine hair, it looks great, but can be a pain in the but to deal with sometimes!

Principessa, che cosa e "latte di capelli?"

Fine hair IS a pain. I have a ton of it, and it is pin straight. It looks great on dry land, but is not so resilient with this sport.

I will get a beanie, thanks to both of you for mentioning it. Looks practical. I have not seen anyone in a beanie, only hoods. Hood would probably be too much in the heat.

Italianprincess
01-04-2009, 18:18
Ah, it's kind of a detangler/conditioner. It's spray on and very, very lite so it doesn't weigh your hair down. The person who let me use hers on the boat had Redkin, but I found Sebastian Hair Milk and it works just as well. I bought 2 bottles, one I keep in my dive bag! It's about $10-12 but it's worth it, lasts forever and saves your hair!!

Lulubelle
01-04-2009, 18:21
Ah, it's kind of a detangler/conditioner. It's spray on and very, very lite so it doesn't weigh your hair down. The person who let me use hers on the boat had Redkin, but I found Sebastian Hair Milk and it works just as well. I bought 2 bottles, one I keep in my dive bag! It's about $10-12 but it's worth it, lasts forever and saves your hair!!

Thanks! Ha, ha, had no idea how to make up the Italian construction for that.

I'll pick some up! And wear my dorky beanie.

Diver Kat
01-04-2009, 20:53
I have super fine hair and it drives me crazy. I do have a hood, but hate it ... can't stand the feeling of it around my throat. Thought about a beanie - but then figured I'd have the same issue. So recently I switched to a squid cap. I've done 2 dive trips and so far I'd say I have about a 90% success rate. Every now & then, they like to get some air bubbles trapped underneath the front and the hair starts slipping out. Seems a bit worse on shallower dives rather than the deep ones tho'.

I also keep a 1 oz. bottle of VO5 Sheer hairdressing and a detangler comb in my dive bag at all times. Been using that for years, and works great after a dive.

As for using a beanie, hood, squid cap - make sure you melt a hole in the top (back a bit) so any air trapped when you put it on will get released out the hole. It's really funny to see someone with a hood that has a huge air bubble in it! :smiley36:

Lulubelle
01-04-2009, 21:05
I have super fine hair and it drives me crazy. I do have a hood, but hate it ... can't stand the feeling of it around my throat. Thought about a beanie - but then figured I'd have the same issue. So recently I switched to a squid cap. I've done 2 dive trips and so far I'd say I have about a 90% success rate. Every now & then, they like to get some air bubbles trapped underneath the front and the hair starts slipping out. Seems a bit worse on shallower dives rather than the deep ones tho'.

I also keep a 1 oz. bottle of VO5 Sheer hairdressing and a detangler comb in my dive bag at all times. Been using that for years, and works great after a dive.

As for using a beanie, hood, squid cap - make sure you melt a hole in the top (back a bit) so any air trapped when you put it on will get released out the hole. It's really funny to see someone with a hood that has a huge air bubble in it! :smiley36:

Kat, what is a squid cap? Thanks!

Splitlip
01-04-2009, 21:40
You will have better success with a beanie than a hood. Burn holes in the beaniie to release any trapped air.

The chin strap on the beanie is nothing like the neck constriction of the hood. It will stay in place better than a squid cap.

Splitlip
01-04-2009, 21:43

http://www.scuba.com/images/clothing/Innovative-Squid-Cap.jpg

Diver Kat
01-04-2009, 23:32

Splitlip posted a few pix, but here's the link Bostondivegirl shared out that I ordered from - way cheaper than any other internet site I found ... they're kind of like a Lycra baseball cap and the back is adjustable with velcro. I like them because I can wear it on the dive boat, just like a baseball cap, then just jump in with it on ...

Highfeedback's Squid Cap (http://cave-dive.com/highfeedback/page2.html)

cowgirldiver
01-05-2009, 12:36
Make sure you have your mask adjusted for the beanie when you put it on. The one time I tried to wear mine (this last fall in the lake when temps were a little cooler) I had big time leakage in my mask. I finally just pulled the beanie off and stored it in my BC. My main problem is that my bangs are much shorter than the rest of my hair-I've tried hairclips, etc but it always seems to sneak out as you can see in the photo (if I can get it to copy). My son told me one time there was a fish swimming in my bangs like it was seaweed (one of those pesky CSSP percharana).

Vercingetorix
01-05-2009, 13:11
cowgirldiver...that is a great shot.

Anyway, headbands and doo-rags work for out of control hair.

Foo2
01-05-2009, 13:21
I posted this link on a different hair thread a while back...but I'll put it on here again.

I have very fine hair as well. I've never tried the braids or anything like that. I use something like this that my mom got me from Cozumel at a gift shop. Etsy :: danielleloporto :: (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=101693) It has only come loose once when I had to remove my mask, but was easy to slide back onto my head. I would highly recommend one of these types of "headbandanas"

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 17:10
Make sure you have your mask adjusted for the beanie when you put it on. The one time I tried to wear mine (this last fall in the lake when temps were a little cooler) I had big time leakage in my mask. I finally just pulled the beanie off and stored it in my BC. My main problem is that my bangs are much shorter than the rest of my hair-I've tried hairclips, etc but it always seems to sneak out as you can see in the photo (if I can get it to copy). My son told me one time there was a fish swimming in my bangs like it was seaweed (one of those pesky CSSP percharana).

Nice!
Finally got a picture.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/attachments/womens-issues/3831d1231180528t-another-hair-thread-img007.jpg (http://forum.scubatoys.com/attachments/womens-issues/3831d1231180528-another-hair-thread-img007.jpg):smiley20:

cowgirldiver
01-05-2009, 17:56
Yeah, I'm sure you guys can see why I don't use it for my avatar!!!!!

Vercingetorix
01-05-2009, 18:12
Yeah, I'm sure you guys can see why I don't use it for my avatar!!!!!Actually, you SHOULD use it in your avatar. It's distinctive. It's very different from the standard underwater photos that folks use.

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 18:19
Yeah, I'm sure you guys can see why I don't use it for my avatar!!!!!Actually, you SHOULD use it in your avatar. It's distinctive. It's very different from the standard underwater photos that folks use.

Oh, man, Rick. Quit dancing around. She looks hot.

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 18:21
Yeah, I'm sure you guys can see why I don't use it for my avatar!!!!!
Hardly. :)

Lulubelle
01-05-2009, 18:22

Ah Vercingetorix,

Headbands and doo rags don't work on fine, slick, long, straight hair. Probably work better on curly hair or course hair. They fall right off of me.

Mine does the same thing as cowgirl diver! I ditched my bangs because of it. They looked nice but were impossible to tame under the water, they just come right out of any clip or headband or doo rag.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. And please keep the detangler ideas coming. I tried to find some Redken hair milk today Principessa and they don't have a product by that name now. I bought some other stuff to try.

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 18:24
Picture Please!

Cowgirl has Rick and I bumbling around like we are in Junior High.

Give us the Coup des gras.

Ah Vercingetorix,

Headbands and doo rags don't work on fine, slick, long, straight hair. Probably work better on curly hair or course hair. They fall right off of me.

Mine does the same thing as cowgirl diver! I ditched my bangs because of it. They looked nice but were impossible to tame under the water, they just come right out of any clip or headband or doo rag.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. And please keep the detangler ideas coming. I tried to find some Redken hair milk today Principessa and they don't have a product by that name now. I bought some other stuff to try.

Lulubelle
01-05-2009, 18:24
I posted this link on a different hair thread a while back...but I'll put it on here again.

I have very fine hair as well. I've never tried the braids or anything like that. I use something like this that my mom got me from Cozumel at a gift shop. Etsy :: danielleloporto :: (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=101693) It has only come loose once when I had to remove my mask, but was easy to slide back onto my head. I would highly recommend one of these types of "headbandanas"

Thanks, might try one of these too, looks promising...the beanie strap may get on my nerves.

Vercingetorix
01-05-2009, 18:43
Picture Please!

Give us the Coup des gras. Tim, I have no idea what you're talking about.

//OK, spousal unit just left room

Agreed. Hot. :smiley36:

cowgirldiver
01-05-2009, 19:00
Lulubelle, just find some picture of yourself with your hair waving around in the water like seaweed-that is obviously what it takes to turn a diver guy on!!!

Lulubelle
01-05-2009, 19:08
Lulubelle, just find some picture of yourself with your hair waving around in the water like seaweed-that is obviously what it takes to turn a diver guy on!!!

cowgirl, just saying the word "girl" makes these guys break into a sweat. Check out the bird ID thread too.

I have heard from some that it is traditional to do one's hundredth dive naked. I guess we won't need to send pictures of that when it happens if all they need is a picture of "scuba hair".

Maybe it is because yours is blond? It is a cool pic though.

I don't have an underwater camera, so I don't have any to share. I'll be wearing something really dorky on my head (beanie?) on my liveaboard, I'll be sure to post THAT. :smiley2:

cowgirldiver
01-05-2009, 19:19
I'd be afraid of which "scuba hair" they wanted to see....

That picture was taken by my son with a handy dispo underwater camera-sometimes you can get really amazing pictures with those-just depends on how deep you are. Like the one in my avatar-that is with a dispo camera!! Plus if you are the one with the camera, there are never any pictures of you!!!

Which liveaboard are you going on?? Did I miss that earlier in the thread (I am blond-always a good excuse!!)

For the one I'm going on the end of January, I bought myself a Christmas present of a Coolpix with an Ikelite housing. I figure I have a whole week to mess around with it and since my roommate and probably buddy for the trip is a photog, it's kind of self defense. Otherwise, you either spend all your time practicing your buoyancy or looking for subjects!

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 20:52

cowgirl, just saying the word "girl" makes these guys break into a sweat. Check out the bird ID thread too.

I have heard from some that it is traditional to do one's hundredth dive naked. I guess we won't need to send pictures of that when it happens if all they need is a picture of "scuba hair".

I don't get your point.

Please explain. I am blond, you know.

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 20:52
Picture Please!

Give us the Coup des gras. Tim, I have no idea what you're talking about.

//OK, spousal unit just left room

Agreed. Hot. :smiley36:

Homina..homina...homina

Vercingetorix
01-05-2009, 20:59
I have heard from some that it is traditional to do one's hundredth dive naked. I guess we won't need to send pictures of that when it happens if all they need is a picture of "scuba hair". You DON'T want to see me do my 100th dive naked. There is not enough eye bleach.

Cowgirldiver, which CoolPix did you buy? I shoot with a Canon A620 and Canon housing.

cowgirldiver
01-05-2009, 21:11
The Nikon CoolPix L18-just wish they had in the blue instead of red-you know to match the rest of my gear!!!!

Lulubelle
01-05-2009, 21:17

I don't get your point.

If underwater scuba hair does it for you, we certainly won't need to pull out our naked diving pictures. You guys settle for too little!

Vercingetorix
01-05-2009, 21:18
The Nikon CoolPix L18-just wish they had in the blue instead of red-you know to match the rest of my gear!!!!
Ask, and ye shall receive...

Amazon.com: Nikon Coolpix L18 8MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Navy): Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B0012OELOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231212180&sr=1-1)

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 21:19
Oh pulease...
Rick mispoke when he phrased his question. What he meant to say was "More pics, please?"

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 21:21

I don't get your point.

If underwater scuba hair does it for you, we certainly won't need to pull out our naked diving pictures. You guys settle for too little!

Oh, no. We are ready for the naked pics. Hair pics are "foreplay" so to speak. (we only need like two of them).

cowgirldiver
01-05-2009, 21:22
Well, you know, I already got the red one-though they really tease you by putting a blue one on the box. I bought it at the LDS and got a pretty good deal-they had come down about $135 on the camera and housing since just before Christmas. I got the camera for just a few dollars more than they show it there on Amazon. Gotta support the local guys sometimes-they're the ones who keep tempting me with the amazing dive trips. But since I passed that 250 mark today with the excellent threads I have to go try to make a hard decision on the scubatoys site....

Vercingetorix
01-05-2009, 21:24
Ya know, Tim. Whenever you and/or I get into a Women's Issues thread, we turn it from it's original intent. to something so...wrong.

Ahhhh...tag-team teamwork...

cowgirldiver
01-05-2009, 21:26
What was the name of this thread again??? I guess we have still been talking about hair...kind of....

Vercingetorix
01-05-2009, 21:27
But since I passed that 250 mark today with the excellent threads I have to go try to make a hard decision on the scubatoys site....You're in Stillwater. That's just a short hop, skip, and a jump from Carrollton. Come on down here and shop at the store. You'll think you died and gone to heaven. So many shiny things. The smell or neoprene wafting through the air.

If ya wait until April, you can buy your stuff, then go dive at Clear Springs (that you hear us talk so much about). I'll be glad to be your personal guide.

//END OF THREAD-JACK. Back to hair...

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 21:28
Ya know, Tim. Whenever you and/or I get into a Women's Issues thread, we turn it from it's original intent. to something so...wrong.

Ahhhh...tag-team teamwork...

Don't I know it. Most of the girls know it as does Cowgirl now. :smiley36:

Lulubelle
01-05-2009, 21:29
Amateurs

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 21:32
Well, you know, I already got the red one-though they really tease you by putting a blue one on the box. I bought it at the LDS and got a pretty good deal-they had come down about $135 on the camera and housing since just before Christmas. I got the camera for just a few dollars more than they show it there on Amazon. Gotta support the local guys sometimes-they're the ones who keep tempting me with the amazing dive trips. But since I passed that 250 mark today with the excellent threads I have to go try to make a hard decision on the scubatoys site....
I like red. My BC and Scapwrap are red. Not a fashion statement.

I was hit by a boat once and I like being visible at the surface. 30 ft or so, it all goes black anyway.

I bought my daughter a red neoprene mask strap wrap. She reversed it to black. Thought the red clashed with her mask and wetsuit trim. Sheesh.

cowgirldiver
01-05-2009, 21:37
Rick, both Forrest and I have been to ScubaToys (I've been twice-go every time I'm down that way)-the only thing I don't like about going to the store is the lack of pricing. We usually go to Dallas for Spring Break-hit all the cultural spots like the Symphony and the museums-not too much else open at the time of the year.

And, don't you recognize that special color of green in the background of the picture???? Yes, that picture was taken at "Clear" Springs. Don't think we won't be back when it gets warm enough-we only dove down by the plane last time and still have the other parts to see!!!

cowgirldiver
01-05-2009, 21:38
Well, I'm outta here for the night guys-Forrest needs the computer!!

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 21:47
Amateurs

You surely are not making reference to Rick and me. Are you?

"You MUST have said Roy!" (From the rock opera "HAIR")

CamaroChick
01-29-2009, 11:41
hey there - I have the same issue with fine hair and diving. I always have the stringies that escape from any type of hair-holding device, and I don't like the whole do-rag thing. I use Paul Mitchell leave in conditioner (the blue stuff). I lather it on pre-dive, and then again after the dive before attempting to comb out the mess. Works pretty good and prevents breakage. Another product that is really good is Extreme Anti-Snap by Redken - awesome stuff and smells good too!

21isfun
03-02-2009, 16:07
I have long bangs, so I pull half my hair into a high ponytail, and then pull the bottom portion up and add it to the high pony with another hairtie. I use the sport kinds which have rubber grippy stuff in addition. I also like to sport the elastic headbands that have the same synthetic grippy stuff (looks like a line of clear glue all the way around the inside of the headband). I wear the headband close to my hairline and it tends to keep my hair back and untangled from my mask. I have super fine hair too and it was a wreck for me always getting caught in the snorkel clip on my mask strap. I alleviated that by switching to the soft stretchy neoprene kind instead of plastic.