PDA

View Full Version : Contact lenses

catfish
08-19-2007, 19:16
Does anyone where contact lenses while diving. Is it better to dive with corrective lenses in your mask, or go without anything.

Jaymeany
08-19-2007, 19:25
You could lose the lenses if you keep your eyes open on a flood and clear. but the flip side is if the correction is in your mask then as soon as your take the mask off you won't be able to see. Think about how often you take your mask off and how bad your eye site is. From being a chem and bio teacher I don;t like contact lenses because chemical vapors can get caught under the lenses.

medic001918
08-19-2007, 19:35
I dive with my contacts. I'm willing to take the chance of losing a lens in a flood and clear over losing prescription lenses in a mask if I lose the mask. I've never had a problem though.

Shane

Illini_Fan
08-19-2007, 19:41
I dive with my contacts. I've had contacts for 20 years and have yet to lose one in water of any sort (diving or just simply swimming). Since my sight is so poor, I really wouldn't want to have to take my contacts in/out at surface intervals if I had a prescription mask.

Mask floods are not a big problem, I do keep my eyes closed and go more by feel when I'm clearing than by visual, but that is not a major concern for me.

CentralTxDiver
08-19-2007, 20:51
I dive with contacts and never have had an issue.

Scout
08-19-2007, 20:55
I dive with my contacts. I've had contacts for 20 years and have yet to lose one in water of any sort (diving or just simply swimming). Since my sight is so poor, I really wouldn't want to have to take my contacts in/out at surface intervals if I had a prescription mask.

Mask floods are not a big problem, I do keep my eyes closed and go more by feel when I'm clearing than by visual, but that is not a major concern for me.
I second this and I also have a huge perscription. I use disposable lenses and take an extra pair with me. Never had a lens fall out in 30 years of use and if I were to lose one underwater, then I would simply ascend.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-19-2007, 21:17
corrective lenses are great i have them in my mask.

Xspect
08-19-2007, 22:12
I dive with my contacts without any issues

The only problem I had is when I dove off the cliff in Ricks Cafe in Negril.

thesmoothdome
08-19-2007, 22:41
Both my wife and I dive with our contacts. I wear disposables, so it's not a big deal if I lose one, but I never have. When I learned to dive and when I instructed, I didn't need any correction so I was used to keeping my eyes open in the water while flooding. I still tend to keep my eyes open and have never had a contact float away. Shrug.

My wife dives with RGP lenses, so it's a bit bigger of deal if she loses a lens, but she never has either.

rkmccamp
08-19-2007, 22:58
I always wear contacts. I would suggest that you use a daily wear lense. I always take them to the ocean with us; that way when you get thru diving you can just throw them away and have a fresh pair the next day.

brandon
08-19-2007, 23:14
The pressure of the water pushing in on your eye will keep the contact in place if you happen to open your eyes with your mask off. No real reason to though - its not like you can see anything.

I'd second the recommendation for wearing disposables. When I wore contacts, I had the set that I wore normally (2-week disposable lenses), then ordered a box of 1 day disposable lenses. This was on the advice of my eye doc, who felt that for frequent water use, daily disposable lenses were the way to go. Lots of little critters and junk in the water that can get trapped under the lens and are difficult to clean off.

Worked for me!

-B.

3rdEye
08-19-2007, 23:23
contacts here as well, and i wear them while diving

just make sure you bring some extras when you go on vacation.....just in case

mpd525
08-19-2007, 23:27
me and the misses both wear ours, no problems yet, but we're new.

picxie
08-20-2007, 02:34
I wear daily disposal contacts - no point diving if I'm not as I can't see anything without some lens'. Would be a bit boring otherwise - and more to the point, dangerous as I wouldn't be able to read the gauges!!

I have recently purchased a mask with prescription lens' in and I'm very keen on trying them out. My reasons for purchasing this was because I don't usually wear contacts and they are uncomfortable for me - I much prefer glasses. Plus when you are out on the boat travelling I love sitting out in the breeze and contacts dry out very quickly in the wind. I have also come a couple of times to loosing a contact under water - when the mask hasn't quite cleared enough and I've opened my eyes too soon.

TAH 73
08-20-2007, 06:54
Don't know if you read this thread, but has some info that is similar to the questions asked.
The DAN info posted on the second page has some medical info that may be inportant.
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=534

creggur
08-20-2007, 07:33
I wear daily disposables, just take a couple of extra pair in case of loss, but that hasn't happened yet....

torrey
08-20-2007, 08:45
You could lose the lenses if you keep your eyes open on a flood and clear. but the flip side is if the correction is in your mask then as soon as your take the mask off you won't be able to see.

I wear my contact lenses diving for this reason. My vision isn't too bad to begin with, but if I'm on a nice dive trip, then I don't want to miss any details. I've never lost a contact while diving, even with a lot of mask flooding (issues with my de-fogger this weekend).

finflippers
08-20-2007, 08:54
I use the stick on lenses in my mask. They just stick in and can be transfered to any other mask.

Phestr
08-20-2007, 09:39
My wife wears her contacts when snorkeling, but she was hesitant until the father of a friend told her he's dove with contacts fo almost 30 years. He said since his prescription kept changing, and he had to buy new contacts anyway, it made more sense than replacing his mask.

chinacat46
08-20-2007, 09:48
I wore contacts for years diving and never had a problem. Wore disposables and carried extras but never lost one. I had lasik done about 5 weeks ago so no more contacts for me. I've been in a pool teaching since then but haven't hit the open waters yet. It's great not to wear contacts really looking forward to my upcoming trip to Oz and PNG do really experience it.

MelC
08-20-2007, 09:52
If I had a low prescription that made wearing glasses more of an option than a necessity I might consider prescription goggles or the hydrooptix ones but, having an extremely high prescription I need to be able to see on the surface. I have worn contact lenses every dive, have swum competitively with them (and goggles) and worn them every day of my life for the last 22 years - I have yet to lose one.

Mel

Venio
08-20-2007, 10:25
I bought my Mare X-vision with the idea to upgrade it and put prescription lens on it. However, after diving the first few times with contacts I found out I have no problem and I have been using them since then. I have flooded and cleaned the mask on few occasions with my eyes open and I have not lost a lens yet.

namabiru
08-20-2007, 11:11
Oh, well, I'd be crashing into everything no doubt if I didn't wear my contacts in the water. But at least I'm wearing disposables which don't cost much, so should I lose one, it's not quite the end of the world. Just keep extras in your dry bag.

When I did my OW training, my instructor just had me close my eyes underwater when taking my mask off, and it was no big deal.

Subaqua
08-20-2007, 12:26
I also wear contacts (disposable) when diving. I never had a problem. When I did the exercices of removing mask, etc., I just kept my eyes closed. If something happen, I guess I could open only one eye and take the risk of loosing one contact.

namabiru
08-20-2007, 12:48
True, but it sounds like other people have never had a problem with losing contacts in the water. So perhaps it's just psychological. Or it could go back to the good old days when everyone wore hard contacts, so yeah, they *would* come out. But now the soft lenses are pretty good about staying in your eye. Or so I think. I may just have to bite the bullet and open my eyes in the water. Oh yeah, and take my mask off too.

NitroWill
08-20-2007, 13:19
Dont need it..im not old yet :nana:

Actually I DO wear contacts w/ a very small prescription (.025?) but I dive without them as I havent gotten use to contacts in my eyes yet :smiley11:

Mmm Scuba
08-22-2007, 03:50
I wear contacts while I dive. I've never lost one, but they're so cheap these days who cares.

Souvy
08-24-2007, 21:13
I either wear contacts or my Hydrooptix mask (which I can use without contacts). Personally, I think the Hydrooptix is incredible provided it fits your face. The field of view is definitely greater and the value of not having to wear contacts is huge for me. My other mask is a Liquidskin. While the Hydrooptix leaks slightly, I prefer it hands down. A downside for some may be the large volume, but it clears very easily because of the purge valves. Hope that helps, cheers.

cudachaser
08-27-2007, 07:46
Contacts work great for me....Never lost one yet. Considering that I teach classes and have demo mask clearing on a regular bases...shows a pretty good record for contacts. I find if you squint you can open your eyes with out loosing a contact.

greyzen
08-27-2007, 09:45
Yeah I wear my contacts... if you get enough water in your mask for a partial clear... close your eyes.

Funny enough, in my OW cert I actually DID lose a contact about 5minutes into the pool (the 200yrd swim test... waves ripped it out of my eye)

Just closed one eye, until I went underwater and then it wasn't as bad. (My prescription is most likely worse than 80% of you guys :P)

catfish
08-28-2007, 15:12
Has anyone had corrective surgery? Does the saltwater iritate you eyes after you have had this done?

greenarcher
01-24-2008, 11:57
The service that Lasik-1 (http://www.my2020.com) has provided has truly changed the way I live my life! I don't have to wear contacts or glasses anymore (the first time since second grade). I just got SCUBA certified and can't wait to go on my honeymoon without the hassle of glasses and contacts!"