PDA

View Full Version : Help tuning my new HD TV

Rileybri
01-05-2009, 15:39
So my long applied plan has finely come to fruition! Until this past weekend we were stuck using a 19" non flat screen TV I got 20 years ago. My wife is about as non tech savvy as they come so convincing her to spend any money on a new tv if the one we have is "perfectly" fine.
Well perfectly fine is a fuzzy picture with line distortion missing pixels. Needless to say saw it and she did not. What was a man to do????? Well I could not take it any more so I began moving a small rare earth magnet closer and closer to the tv slowly distorting the picture more and more over time. Oh mind you when she was not home or watching I would remove the magnet so I could wach a clear(ish) picture. Eventually (about 6 weeks) she began complaing about the TV going out and needed to replace it! Woo hooo man one wife zero!!!! This weekend we went out and got a nice new 22" LG HDTV. I know only 22"'s? well its for our bedroom so 22" is fine, and hse is already talking 26-32" for the living room when we can aford it!!!!
So today I want to our cable provider and got the new HD box and got it all set up and working. Not that bad a set up actually. But here is my problem or question; Skin tone is greenish yellow and blues are way to bringt or to dull. SO what do I need to do to tune this bad boy to full opperating strangth??????

MSilvia
01-05-2009, 16:24
Skin tone is greenish yellow and blues are way to bringt or to dull. SO what do I need to do to tune this bad boy to full opperating strangth??????
Move the magnet?

gNats
01-05-2009, 16:36
The TV Gods (who I believe are women with mustaches) are slapping you for deceiving your wife.

Otherwise, call the cable guy....

I mean, we are divers here - not tv repairmen. Would you go on a TV Repair forum and ask them if your SAC rate is too high to dive a single to 130' with a 30 minute deco?

I think not.

1-800-INEEDHELPWITHMYTVIAMADOOFISGUY should provide you the assistance you need.

:smiley36::smilie39:

Byte Me
01-05-2009, 17:02
How do you have the box connected to the TV? If it's via component video cables make sure that each is securely attached - pushed all the way into the female jack and also look to make sure you don't have one of the three in the wrong color (red, green, blue). If it's via HDMI I'm at a loss - could possibly be a bad cable.

From what you're describing though it sounds like component connection is wacky.

OR - it could be your color temp is set too warm or cool. Go into the TV setup menu, change the settings for contrast and brightness to the mid point (50 or 0 depending on how the scale is set up). Also in the video adjustments section there should be something to select color temp. Set it to neutral if possible.

Last option is that you got a bad TV but that'd be a stretch.

awap
01-05-2009, 17:03
Were you watching Star Trek?

I suspect your remote will access a setup menu that will adjust all kinds of things. But that would not be nearly as much fun as getting her to go up on the roof and turn the antenna.

Skred
01-05-2009, 17:05
If you're sure you've got it hooked up correctly, it sounds like you either may have gotten a bad cable box or the TV is fubar.

If you can, hook the TV up to a non-HD signal. If the colors are ok, then your HD cable box is likely bad and you should take it back and have them swap it out.

If the colors are still whacked on the non-HD signal, try resetting the TV color settings to factory defaults to see if that fixes it. If not, maybe a trip back to the TV store is in order.

navyhmc
01-05-2009, 17:12
The TV Gods (who I believe are women with mustaches) are slapping you for deceiving your wife.

Otherwise, call the cable guy....

I mean, we are divers here - not tv repairmen. Would you go on a TV Repair forum and ask them if your SAC rate is too high to dive a single to 130' with a 30 minute deco?

I think not.

1-800-INEEDHELPWITHMYTVIAMADOOFISGUY should provide you the assistance you need.

:smiley36::smilie39:

:smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39:

STOP, pleese , no more...I give up!!!

:smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39:

Mtrewyn
01-05-2009, 17:44
Some times my HD TV color is not quite right, other times it is fine, I tweak it some times to fix it and others I just leave it, I think it is the program has alot to do with it, or it is my 5yo. I catch her messing with it often

robjoubert
01-05-2009, 18:54
Do a Google search using the following search term:
darkroom picture settings for the (your LG tv model)

I found settings on CNet.com for my LG 37" which helped a lot

Bigg_Budd
01-05-2009, 18:58
Skin tone is greenish yellow and blues are way to bringt or to dull. SO what do I need to do to tune this bad boy to full opperating strangth??????
Move the magnet?

Holy crap MSilvia. You literally removed the words from my brain. That was funny, bro!

Rileybri
01-05-2009, 20:53
Move the magnet?

Don't ya think I thought of that.................after about an hour or so??

How do you have the box connected to the TV? If it's via component video cables make sure that each is securely attached - pushed all the way into the female jack and also look to make sure you don't have one of the three in the wrong color (red, green, blue). If it's via HDMI I'm at a loss - could possibly be a bad cable.

From what you're describing though it sounds like component connection is wacky.

OR - it could be your color temp is set too warm or cool. Go into the TV setup menu, change the settings for contrast and brightness to the mid point (50 or 0 depending on how the scale is set up). Also in the video adjustments section there should be something to select color temp. Set it to neutral if possible.

We have a winner!!!!!!

cowgirldiver
01-05-2009, 21:15
Who needs the stinkin tech support when you have the scuba forum!!!

acamato
01-05-2009, 21:58
to improve the picture further. Run the THX optimizer. It is on any THX certified DVD.

THX Optimizer (http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/optimizer/index.html)

Byte Me
01-06-2009, 09:42
Move the magnet?

Don't ya think I thought of that.................after about an hour or so??

We have a winner!!!!!!

I can't tell you how many times I've seen this be an issue. It's happened to me as well. Depending which of the cables is loose you get different things happening. Unfortunately the cables that the cable company provided probably don't have male connectors that really grip the female side so they can work loose over time.

I'm sure you won't forget this when / if it happens again!

Enjoy your new TV and when you're looking for that larger one try this:

The latest HDTV deals, Find the best price on LCD TVs from dozens of stores (http://dealnews.com/categories/Electronics/Televisions/LCD-TVs/424.html?filter=c:424;)

Great deals on various sized sets all in one place!

Lulubelle
01-06-2009, 09:54
Flirt with the cable guy and wear a low cut shirt. Works every time.:smiley20:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------I patiently waited for a long, long time before I got a real TV. I traded in my woodgrain paneled TV that I got when I was in high school for a 40 inch Sony Bravia XBR 1080p LCD. Really good color. I waited until fall when they start bringing out the new models. All they did was change the casing color and I picked it up for about 40 percent off. Trick is to catch that changeover every year. Good luck.

acamato
01-06-2009, 10:24
A great (inexpensive) source for HDMI cables is monoprice.com. Do not purchase the $100+ calbes from the store (Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.). HDMI cables carry a digital signal so there is no signal loss like an analog cable.

If you question the quality of the cables search avsforum.com for reviews.

I needed a couple of more cables because I got a blu-ray player and I needed a longer cable to run in the wall from my recieved to my TV. So, I ordered a couple of more cables from them last night and got an email telling me they are going to ship out today...