PDA

View Full Version : My name is Jason, and I'm addicted to my PS3...

Bigg_Budd
01-05-2009, 18:52
I got a PS3 for Christmas (+ RockBand 2) and I'm friggin' addicted. I'm no newbie to video games, so this isn't some sort of technology "shock and awe". Rather, this is a full-blown love affair with my sexy, sexy ass PS3.

I also learned this weekend that 6+ hours of continuous gaming is hell on a marriage. Looks like I'm going to have to control my new-found drug.

God bless Call of Duty! More power to you Burnout Paradise! And thank little 8 pound 6 ounce Baby Jesus for RockBand 2!

Thank you Cleveland, GOODNIGHT!

ektess1
01-05-2009, 19:07
This is why I have resisted the urge to get back into gaming. I have enough addictions already. I don't need to add another. Good luck controling it.

BarbadosSlim93
01-05-2009, 19:12
I love my PS3. Excellent choice in gaming system, I think you will enjoy it for a long time. The PS2 is 8 years old and still selling strong. The Xbox360 is a good system too, but they have very bad lifespans. I used to work at a game store and I saw dozens of 360s come back broken as opposed to the 1 PS3 I saw come back because a guy wanted a bigger hard drive.

Some good games I recommend are:

Resistance 1 and 2
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
NHL 09
Metal Gear Solid 4
There are just so many I can keep going...

If you get online with it send me a PM with your Playstation ID, maybe we can game online sometime.

njhunter167
01-05-2009, 19:26
Microsoft actually fixed that ring of death... all the new 360s shouldnt have that same problem... Been trying to kick the wife loose anew 360 should do the trick

navyhmc
01-05-2009, 19:40
What's a PS3???? :D

cowgirldiver
01-05-2009, 19:52
Forrest got a Wii for his birthday along with Guitar Hero. Then he left it at my house. Let's just say that for the rest of the week I was very tired and work but I rocked!!!!! (at least that's what they said in the game.....)

cowgirldiver
01-05-2009, 19:52
Wait a minute, I just noticed that somehow, sometime today, I went over the 250 post count, yes, yes, yes.

hychang
01-05-2009, 20:20
Congratulations on getting over the 250 mark. I'm working my way there... slowly.

Wait a minute, I just noticed that somehow, sometime today, I went over the 250 post count, yes, yes, yes.

My kids received a Wii from their grandparents last year. It's all we can do to keep them away from it. They received Guitar Hero for Christmas this year. They would've spend their entire Christmas Break playing that if they were allowed to do so, which they weren't. These games/gaming systems are very addictive!

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 21:51
Forrest got a Wii for his birthday along with Guitar Hero. Then he left it at my house. Let's just say that for the rest of the week I was very tired and work but I rocked!!!!! (at least that's what they said in the game.....)

So they do have Guitar Hero for Wii?

Next addition to my play room to keep the boys out of my daughters bedroom. My kid likes Guitar Hero, and I like a lot of the Wii programs.

Splitlip
01-05-2009, 21:54
It is OK, son. I had issues with Pong, Donkey Kong, PacMan and Galaxia when I was up north. Had a Nintendo too when they first hit the market.
Embrace it, but make sure you control it, don't let it overpower you.

Most people I know are able to use them in moderation.

I got a PS3 for Christmas (+ RockBand 2) and I'm friggin' addicted. I'm no newbie to video games, so this isn't some sort of technology "shock and awe". Rather, this is a full-blown love affair with my sexy, sexy ass PS3.

I also learned this weekend that 6+ hours of continuous gaming is hell on a marriage. Looks like I'm going to have to control my new-found drug.

God bless Call of Duty! More power to you Burnout Paradise! And thank little 8 pound 6 ounce Baby Jesus for RockBand 2!

Thank you Cleveland, GOODNIGHT!

sea princess
01-05-2009, 22:34
Join the club with my husband. He is big time addicted to video games but doesn't think he is. (can you say denial?) It can cause issues when it is out of balance like anything else can.

Any way we have PS3, Xbox, PS2(two of these one in each kids room) and WII and PSP and nitendo DS. We have guitar hero and rock band and many other games. My husband stays up all night several nights a week playing video games for hours and gets about 3 to 4 hours a sleep a night. I don't know how he functions but he does. I have never been into video games so I don't get it.

Bigg_Budd
01-05-2009, 23:53
I just owned on Call of Duty. Been playing since 8pm when I put the little dudes down...

I'll send the wife flowers tomorrow.

Diver Kat
01-06-2009, 00:04
Had the Wii for awhile, but got Guitar Hero World Tour, Call of Duty, Shaun White Snowboarding & Wii Fit for Christmas. Dang things are addictive! At least with the Wii Fit games we can pretend it's for a good reason!

nrembis
01-06-2009, 00:49
My wife said she saw some sorta ocean diving type game for the wii in walmart, it was crowded as hell so she didnt ask for someone to get it so she could see what it was about.

cowgirldiver
01-06-2009, 09:41
The first night Forrest got his Wii, my whole family was at my house. They still enjoy talking about me playing the boxing game from Wii fit (what can they really say, I was winning!!). Now, I want to get the balance board to practice my Yoga on. And yes Tim, they do have Guitar Hero for the Wii-I've made it all the way through all the songs (albeit at the easiest level). I think the hardest part is when you have to do the duels.

Vercingetorix
01-06-2009, 10:40
Haven't really gotten into the console gaming.

Now, computer video games?...Hello, my name is Rick, and I'm a video game addict.

Jason is right about CoD. I've had thousands of hours on than and other FPSs shooting and killing people around the world. I'm also addicted to city-builders (CivCity: Rome, Caesar IV, Imperium Romanum, SImCity 1/2/3/4/2000) and strategy (Rome: Total War, Medieval: Total War, etc), flight sims, golf, auto racing, etc. Yeah, addicted, much to my wife's chagrin.

And then, I develop web-sites and do application development for fun.

//my wife considers me a nerd. I don't understand.

Skred
01-06-2009, 10:59
Haven't really gotten into the console gaming.

Now, computer video games?...Hello, my name is Rick, and I'm a video game addict.

Jason is right about CoD. I've had thousands of hours on than and other FPSs shooting and killing people around the world. I'm also addicted to city-builders (CivCity: Rome, Caesar IV, Imperium Romanum, SImCity 1/2/3/4/2000) and strategy (Rome: Total War, Medieval: Total War, etc), flight sims, golf, auto racing, etc. Yeah, addicted, much to my wife's chagrin.

And then, I develop web-sites and do application development for fun.

//my wife considers me a nerd. I don't understand.

Amen. I'm a dedicated PC gamer (and a nerd) as well. I got FarCry2 for Christmas. Rick, if you don't have it, you need it!:smiley32:

Splitlip
01-06-2009, 11:02
You guys are scaring me.

Not sure now if I want to bring one of those monsters into the house.:smiley5:

Vercingetorix
01-06-2009, 11:14
Amen. I'm a dedicated PC gamer (and a nerd) as well. I got FarCry2 for Christmas. Rick, if you don't have it, you need it!:smiley32:I've been drooling over that Far Cry 2. For the past year, I've been reading the dev blogs and checking screenshots and videos. I spent so-o-o-o many hours on the original Far Cry. I'm still going through it. I know that FC2 is open-ended, unlike FC1. And I may have to crack open the wallet. But then, I need to prioritize my spending. Spend $50 to:

a) Purchase Far Cry 2, or;
b) Service regulator

//Let's see, if my reg fails at depth, I can always get my buddy's octo. But, FC2, well...

Skred
01-06-2009, 12:08
Amen. I'm a dedicated PC gamer (and a nerd) as well. I got FarCry2 for Christmas. Rick, if you don't have it, you need it!:smiley32:I've been drooling over that Far Cry 2. For the past year, I've been reading the dev blogs and checking screenshots and videos. I spent so-o-o-o many hours on the original Far Cry. I'm still going through it. I know that FC2 is open-ended, unlike FC1. And I may have to crack open the wallet. But then, I need to prioritize my spending. Spend $50 to:

a) Purchase Far Cry 2, or;
b) Service regulator

//Let's see, if my reg fails at depth, I can always get my buddy's octo. But, FC2, well...

As long as you or your buddy has a pony bottle, you're good! FC2, here comes Rick! :smiley20:

Black-Gorrilla
01-06-2009, 13:02
Had the Wii for awhile, but got Guitar Hero World Tour, Call of Duty, Shaun White Snowboarding & Wii Fit for Christmas. Dang things are addictive! At least with the Wii Fit games we can pretend it's for a good reason!

The wii fit is for a good reason... it has the balance board, so you can play games with your butt (rayman raving rabids TV, or something like that)

scubAfr33k
01-06-2009, 23:47
Man...I love my 360, I can play COD 4 all night; it just never gets old, you know? My current favs, however are Fallout 3 (awesome btw) and Dead Space.

DMWiz
01-07-2009, 06:39
Okay... I resisted posting on this thread even opening and reading it because I'm a recovering gaming addict!

I used to have a very unsightly callous on my left thumb from owning Madden Football (name the year here) The only way I could see my lovely Dolphins win a playoff game :smiley29:

At one point, don't remember which year it was, I had played and gone undefeated for 20+ seasons playing at All Madden level.

I've refused upgrading my old xbox for years and it has finally died. My kids do have Wii and I love bowling on the Wii I just don't think I can bowl 20 games in a row :smiley36: much less be addicted to it. My daughter loves playing the drums in Rock Band and my son (I think it's genetic) loves playing football.

I refuse to get a 360 or a PS3, but every time I walk into a gaming store and there's one on I get a little fix and I'm good with that, for now...

Vercingetorix
01-07-2009, 08:34
Okay... I resisted posting on this thread even opening and reading it because I'm a recovering gaming addict!

I refuse to get a 360 or a PS3, but every time I walk into a gaming store and there's one on I get a little fix and I'm good with that, for now...
Come on...ya know ya want it. You've got the money (the kids' shoes will last another year or two). You've got the desire. It's there. Waiting. Calling to you. Come on. PS3. What's it gonna hurt?
:smilie39:

DMWiz
01-07-2009, 10:04
Come on...ya know ya want it. You've got the money (the kids' shoes will last another year or two). You've got the desire. It's there. Waiting. Calling to you. Come on. PS3. What's it gonna hurt?
:smilie39:

You know, the funny thing is if it was just the PS3 I'd do it, but if I get the PS3 then I HAVE to upgrade the TV and then I have to upgrade the furniture and then... it's the never ending downward spiral!

I rather buy a new tank and be done with it!:smiley20:

CFDAlden
01-07-2009, 20:51
We have a Wii, XBox 360, and a PS2. Kids have a DS's, and I have a PSP. I finally found a game the wife will play with Guitar Hero for the Wii. :) Wii Fit is also on the list, when the stores have them back in stock.

My real addiction for winter is playing World of Warcraft, though. /hangheadinshame :)

sea princess
01-07-2009, 21:35
I have to laugh at my husband sometimes..he loves all the sport games (and has the madden name the year games too) He will play for hours on end and I will go down stairs to ask him to come to bed and he will say.."But i am in the superbowl or but I am in the Playoffs and I can't stop I need to win" He definately has an addiction but doesn't see it that way. As soon as the family is in bed on the weekdays or all night long until morning on the weekends he is almost always playing..unless he conquers a game and then he takes a break until he buys a new one...

DMWiz
01-07-2009, 22:07
I have to laugh at my husband sometimes..he loves all the sport games (and has the madden name the year games too) He will play for hours on end and I will go down stairs to ask him to come to bed

I have two words of advice for you:

Victoria's Secret:smiley20: :smiley2:

Vercingetorix
01-07-2009, 22:19
I have two words of advice for you:

Victoria's Secret:smiley20: :smiley2:Two more words:

Football jersey...

sea princess
01-07-2009, 23:24
Actually I just tell him to pretend that I am the video game:smiley2:

sea princess
01-07-2009, 23:26
Okay back to the OP topic...

Vercingetorix
01-07-2009, 23:43
Actually I just tell him to pretend that I am the video game:smiley2:
So...many...comebacks...
Must...keep...comments...clean...because...family-friendly...forum...

sea princess
01-08-2009, 12:58
I realized that after i stepped into this thread and commented...My husband just laughed at me and said your on your own! That is what happens when a girl goes into the man cave forum..her words get twisted and take on new meaning.

Seriously I still have a hard time understanding what the draw is to video games to be so addicted. I occasionally play the wii with the kids the carnival games, bowling, wii fit, skiing but only to spend time with them doing their thing.

DMWiz
01-08-2009, 13:04
I realized that after i stepped into this thread and commented...My husband just laughed at me and said your on your own! That is what happens when a girl goes into the man cave forum..her words get twisted and take on new meaning.

Seriously I still have a hard time understanding what the draw is to video games to be so addicted. I occasionally play the wii with the kids the carnival games, bowling, wii fit, skiing but only to spend time with them doing their thing.

What's the fascination with shoes, make up, malls, more shoes, purses, Dr. Phil, Oprah and on and on and on...

We're just made differently! I have learned to appreciate the differences even when they annoy me and don't understand them:smiley20:

sea princess
01-08-2009, 13:17
What's the fascination with shoes, make up, malls, more shoes, purses, Dr. Phil, Oprah and on and on and on...

We're just made differently! I have learned to appreciate the differences even when they annoy me and don't understand them:smiley20:

Not sure on most of those things because i own one purse, live in tennis shoes, never watch oprah or dr.phil and hate the mall. I have many friends who are facinated with those things but i will never understand either. But your right the differences are a good thing, it keeps life interesting for sure.

Skuttle
01-08-2009, 13:41
I must be odd duck. It is not the husband that has a problem, it is me! :smilie39:
I will play games with my son til my husband comes into game room and confronts me with going to bed.

DMWiz
01-08-2009, 16:03
Not sure on most of those things because i own one purse, live in tennis shoes, never watch oprah or dr.phil and hate the mall. I have many friends who are facinated with those things but i will never understand either. But your right the differences are a good thing, it keeps life interesting for sure.

And you scuba dive too... Wow! Too bad we're both married :smiley36:

I must be odd duck. It is not the husband that has a problem, it is me! :smilie39:
I will play games with my son til my husband comes into game room and confronts me with going to bed.

I guess my previous advice of of some sexy lingerie for him would not apply here!:smilie39:
Unless he's into that of course! I'm all out of advice call Dr. Phil. =)

Bigg_Budd
01-08-2009, 22:35
Just regulated on Call of Duty. Totally owned the fools. 37 kills in one game. Called in the dogs 3 times. Holy hell, it was awesome!

I've had the game since last Saturday, and I'm already a Srg. Major II. Bring it on, BABY!

fire diver
01-09-2009, 08:02
My wife got RockBand for the kids for Christmas, and I think I played it more than they did! I LOVE that game, it freakin rocks!

Rockhound76
01-09-2009, 08:46
Just regulated on Call of Duty. Totally owned the fools. 37 kills in one game. Called in the dogs 3 times. Holy hell, it was awesome!

I've had the game since last Saturday, and I'm already a Srg. Major II. Bring it on, BABY!

I FINALLY let the boys have some "M" games for the 360 and got them an online account. One game was COD4 and the other, HALO3. I'm old and not very good and they own me, but I love the games, especially COD4, where weapons knowledge and tactics still have some advantage. In HALO, I'm fumbling for the right button or grabbing the wrong weapon every time they kill me.

I did manage, under my son's sign-in, to get 22 kills in a COD online capture the flag game. That was way cool (as they say).

To get even, I bought myself a paintball gun for Christmas. I might be old and slow, but I can still kick their butt at that....they bumble around in our woods like bull moose. I just sneak up and pop 'em.

Vercingetorix
01-09-2009, 09:08
To get even, I bought myself a paintball gun for Christmas. I might be old and slow, but I can still kick their butt at that....they bumble around in our woods like bull moose. I just sneak up and pop 'em.You'll have to make the pilgrimage up I-45 to Carrollton. There, you can visit Larry's "other" passion: paintball. He has a nice set-up (GatzSplat). Then, having pissed-away your money there, head for ScubaToys and lose the rest of your money there on shiny new toys.

Lulubelle
01-09-2009, 09:24

Wiz, wiz. What a stereotype. I will admit to the fact that I love shoes. You've got me there.

I don't wear much makeup, generally none when I am not working, would rather have dental work than go shopping (I truly HATE it), own 3 purses, think Dr. Phil is an idiot, and just wish I was Oprah but don't watch her show.

I don't get the video addiction either. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't manage all that is in my life, the last thing I need to do is lose more time to..video gaming. Plus, I like interacting with...people.

DMWiz
01-09-2009, 10:08
Wiz, wiz. What a stereotype. I will admit to the fact that I love shoes. You've got me there.

I agree I was painting with a big brush! I may not have all women in all accounts, but at least one shoe (pun intended) will fit!

...and just wish I was Oprah but don't watch her show.

I don't think it's the money, so I have to ask why would you want that?

I like interacting with...people.

Then online gaming would be right up your alley:smiley2:

I stopped playing online when (as good as I thought I was playing Madden) I was utterly humiliated by a 14 year old who would not allow me to gain a single yard. He would even block all my kicks:smiley5:

Vercingetorix
01-09-2009, 10:32
I like interacting with...people.

Then online gaming would be right up your alley:smiley2:Agreed. Nothing like going on-line. Meeting new people. Talk to fascinating folks. Learning more about them. Then, killing them.

I stopped playing online when (as good as I thought I was playing Madden) I was utterly humiliated by a 14 year old who would not allow me to gain a single yard. He would even block all my kicks:smiley5:Kids own me in the FPS (first person shooters). Humiliating.

Lulubelle
01-09-2009, 10:41
[quote=Lulubelle;260959] ...and just wish I was Oprah but don't watch her show.

I don't think it's the money, so I have to ask why would you want that?

1)She doesn't need to worry about health insurance, I do.
2)She can afford to hire all of the help she needs in this life, I can't.
3)She can decide to chase a passion and has the means to do it. I am too busy working for the man in order to bind benefits that I can't survive without. There isn't much left over for chasing of pure passions.
4)She has the power and presence to change the world in significant ways, I change it one person at a time which I am actually good with.

DMWiz
01-09-2009, 10:49
I stopped playing online when (as good as I thought I was playing Madden) I was utterly humiliated by a 14 year old who would not allow me to gain a single yard. He would even block all my kicks:smiley5:Kids own me in the FPS (first person shooters). Humiliating.

I can no longer play FPS... they are too fast for me or I'm getting "prematurely" old.

Funny story, a few years ago I downloaded the Quake 4 demo after not having played FPS for years. I loaded the game and began to play. After getting acquainted with the weapons, I started the single player game. Boy, was I in for a shocker... I could literally feel my chest pounding as my heart pumped louder and louder with every step I took in the game. I had not even seen a single foe yet my BP was absolutely boiling within the first 5 minutes. After barely beating the first alien my hands were shaking to the point were trying to aim was pointless... I had to quit right then and there.
The FPS had passed me by. The music, graphics and atmosphere in the first few minutes were too realistic for me to handle.

My wife used to laugh at me when I played FPS because I would actually move my body and head to avoid getting hit in the game! =)

DMWiz
01-09-2009, 10:56
3)She can decide to chase a passion and has the means to do it. I am too busy working for the man in order to bind benefits that I can't survive without. There isn't much left over for chasing of pure passions.
4)She has the power and presence to change the world in significant ways, I change it one person at a time which I am actually good with.

Well, I was wrong except for #4. It is the money. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Sometimes I wish I had it, but for different reasons.

Lulubelle
01-09-2009, 11:06

Well, I was wrong except for #4. It is the money. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Sometimes I wish I had it, but for different reasons.

No Wiz, it is really NOT about the money (not how I roll), not at all, but in the interest of not hijacking this thread, I'll say no more! It is more about politics, economics, societal values, compassion, personal freedom, my need and desire to change the world, and my frustration that I have a personal situation that I can't change in order to allow myself to do all that I am capable of in terms of "world changing".

O can bypass some of these concerns because of money, that doesn't mean that the real answers are as simple as the presence or absence thereof.

It is her personal freedom that I envy most. And the ability to chase her passions, some of which are altruistic.

Back to gaming THREAD.

Vercingetorix
01-09-2009, 11:13
My wife used to laugh at me when I played FPS because I would actually move my body and head to avoid getting hit in the game! =)
I'm guilty as well with FPS games. When I play submarine games (Silent Hunter series), I actually look up when I am depth-charged.

Skred
01-09-2009, 11:18
I'm guilty as well with FPS games. When I play submarine games (Silent Hunter series), I actually look up when I depth-charged.

I do the same thing. I think it is a learned response left over from countless hours of youth spent playing pinball and shooting pool.

There was gaming addiction long before games became electronic.

DMWiz
01-09-2009, 13:12
There was gaming addiction long before games became electronic.

So true!!!

DMWiz
01-09-2009, 13:16
No Wiz, it is really NOT about the money (not how I roll), not at all, but in the interest of not hijacking this thread, I'll say no more!

Got it! Thanks for the PM :smiley9:

sea princess
01-09-2009, 17:22

That is exactly what i do with my husband. I will see him playing some shoot them up game and he will actually lean all the way to the side as if really peering around a corner! or duck or jerk to the side while playing. it is quite funny when your not the one playing the game.

ertechsg
01-09-2009, 17:32
Budd, since you got your new toy have you been looking for a new place to stay or is she giving you the house too:smiley36:

fire diver
01-09-2009, 19:25
OK, so which of you old foggies ever suffered from "Atari thumb"? I know I did.

As for the FPS, some I love, some I don't. I really prefer the team play modes though. Getting two groups going head to head in a FPS is awesome.

Skred
01-09-2009, 20:07

Guilty!!:smiley36:

Bigg_Budd
01-10-2009, 07:23
Budd, since you got your new toy have you been looking for a new place to stay or is she giving you the house too:smiley36:

She hasn't left yet. But she's been getting more "headaches", if you know what I'm sayin'...

Vercingetorix
01-10-2009, 08:15
OK, so which of you old foggies ever suffered from "Atari thumb"? I know I did."Berzerk" on Atari 2600...so many hours (or days) wasted...
http://www.gameclassification.com/files/games/berzerk1.gif
//shamelessly hot-linked for your viewing pleasure

DMWiz
01-10-2009, 08:26
I used to have a very unsightly callous on my left thumb from owning Madden Football (name the year here)

Does this qualify as an ATARI thumb? I never had an ATARI, but played on my friends Intelevision and Colleco systems.

As for the FPS, some I love, some I don't. I really prefer the team play modes though. Getting two groups going head to head in a FPS is awesome.

Me too, CTF rules!

DMWiz
01-10-2009, 08:30
She hasn't left yet. But she's been getting more "headaches", if you know what I'm sayin'...

ROFL!!! Unfortunately, I think we all know what that means...:smiley11:

loudgonzo
01-12-2009, 09:42
Just got done playing Heavenly Sword, awesome game, amazing graphics, and a sexy chick with a big sword kicking ass