PDA

View Full Version : Help.. accidentally pressed purge button while reg submerged

superkingkong
08-19-2007, 19:49
Hi Guys,

need your advice. I own a Oceanic Delta 4. That day, while rinsing my reg, i accidentally depressed the purge button for about 1 sec while the whole thing (1st and 2nd stage) was being submerged in the water.

is my reg a "gone case"? ... since it's a env sealed reg... should i say it's ok?

*still keeping my finger cross*

Xspect
08-19-2007, 22:10
You have to buy a whole new set up !!!

and send your old one to me. I'll "dispose" of it properly :smiley36:

Illini_Fan
08-19-2007, 22:12
You have to buy a whole new set up !!!

and send your old one to me. I'll "dispose" of it properly :smiley36:

It is "help" like this that sets the ST Forum apart from all other boards :smiley32:

I don't know the answer, but I liked xspect's reply :smilie39:

ScubaToys Larry
08-19-2007, 22:25
In all reality.. won't hurt a thing. Since the reg had air in all the lines, pushing that purge for a second, it would allow so little water in the line, and it would could not even work up against the air that is in the hose - and travel 30 inches to get all the way to the 1st stage?! And then it's in the second side of the 1st stage, where it would do virtually nothing compared to getting into the HP side which the dvt protects you from.

Now it would have been good to maybe hook it back up to a tank.. hit the purge and blow any water back out - but I seriously doubt you could get enough water to even begin to go up the hose that far. If you saw how small the opening is between the seat and poppet in the second stage, even with the purge pressed all the way...

Heck.. that was the long answer... Short answer...

No problem! No worries!:smiley20:

namabiru
08-20-2007, 11:29
Ooh, so this is advice which should go in a book. Real Solutions to Scuba Issues: Debunking OW Course Myths

I'll have to remember this advice--should I ever do this myself, and there's a tank nearby, I'll hook up and purge for good measure. Cheers!

awap
08-20-2007, 11:39
Ooh, so this is advice which should go in a book. Real Solutions to Scuba Issues: Debunking OW Course Myths

I'll have to remember this advice--should I ever do this myself, and there's a tank nearby, I'll hook up and purge for good measure. Cheers!

Key here is that it entered thru the 2nd stage and is quite unlikely to reach the 1st stage. 1st stages have the problem with water inside, primarily that which might enter thru the tank connection and is contaminated or corrosive; and the severity varies somewhat with design.

CompuDude
08-20-2007, 14:53
Correct. Hook it up a tank and blow it out, all should be fine, as long as it was fresh water. The real concern is water getting all the way up the hose to the first stage, which is unlikely to have happened in 1 second.

superkingkong
08-24-2007, 20:46
thanks for the assurance... :) i had a few bad dreams lately:smilie39: