PDA

View Full Version : How a dry suit is suppose to fit

Zinger54
01-07-2009, 14:16
I'm probably in the wrong area and I'm sorry in advance if so. My husband and I have gotten into gold mining. Using the detectors (hobby stuff) and we live in Alaska where we were able to buy a gold claim. We have learned that in order to use a dredge we need a dry suit. Being the newbi's that we are we jumped online and bought a Harvey's dry suit for my husband. We bought a large with the zipper across the back of the neck. My husband is 5'11" and weighs 185, getting the suit on was something of a chore and when it came time to put it over his head, there was no way it would fit. Are we doing something wrong?? Thanks for any help .

Lone Frogman
01-07-2009, 14:42
Looks like you should have brought a XLarge. see chart
Harvey's Drysuit Size Chart (http://www.akmining.com/dive/harvsize.htm)

gNats
01-07-2009, 15:48
I will say this much about neck and wrist seals.... they should be tight enough to be uncomfortable.

My first neck seal - I had the store trim it - I was so worried about passing out from it being too tight.

Okay - that seal LEAKED like a SIEVE!

I had a new seal put on - this time did not trim it. I was dry on my first dive out with the new seal. The entire time I am wearing it, it is like this reallllly tight turtleneck. And, after several dives, I haven't passed out yet.

Now, I don't even think about the discomfort. I am becoming much more used to it.

WaScubaDude
01-07-2009, 16:09
I'm probably in the wrong area and I'm sorry in advance if so. My husband and I have gotten into gold mining. Using the detectors (hobby stuff) and we live in Alaska where we were able to buy a gold claim. We have learned that in order to use a dredge we need a dry suit. Being the newbi's that we are we jumped online and bought a Harvey's dry suit for my husband. We bought a large with the zipper across the back of the neck. My husband is 5'11" and weighs 185, getting the suit on was something of a chore and when it came time to put it over his head, there was no way it would fit. Are we doing something wrong?? Thanks for any help .

At 5'11 185 he may be a LG as long as the torso is not hiking up his jimmy and his shoulders are not bustin out the zipper.
You can stretch the neck seal over a scuba tank or bowl for 72 hours and try again, but note dawning a drysuit is much like giving birth...uncomfortable and painful, but you will learn to love the little guy.hahaha Latex seals really do release a bit with about 15 uses. If the neck seal is not soo tight that it causes dizziness, you are probably better off trying the suggestions above before cutting the seals back.
That said, it was not clear in your post if you intend to use this underwater on snuba or scuba, or if you use it above water as a really good rain suit?
You may find the neck seal actually gets more comfortable underwater. Be sure you have a buddy near by and practice in shallow water in case you have a problem.

Zinger54
01-09-2009, 10:49
Thanks so much for the responses, we will try it again, he was afraid that if he got it all the way over his head we might end up having to take a knife to it to get it off. He will be underwater with it but not very deep. I believe he won't be deeper that 8-10 feet. Probably more like 4-6 feet most of the time. We will be up at a place called Circle Alaska tho, it's 50 miles this side of the Artic Circle so I'm thinkin it's going to be cold in the water all day.

MSilvia
01-09-2009, 12:06
It shouldn't be uncomfortable. You want the seals tight enough to keep you dry, but not so tight you turn purple. I would describe the proper fit of a neck seal as "very snug".

CompuDude
01-09-2009, 16:28
It's actually pretty critical that the neck seal is not too tight, or you could end up unconscious due to the carotid reflex. Too loose, of course, and it leaks. It's a delicate balancing act.

cummings66
01-16-2009, 18:00
Also, I don't know what he's wearing under it, but insure the suit fits with the warm undergarments he's going to be using. I'm not sure, but if he's not diving with it the drysuits surfers use might be cheaper and as useful. In case he pokes a hole in this suit and messes it up, or you want one.

At any rate, pay attention to the hands and head. You get headaches often if the seal is tight, and the fingers can tingle if the wrist seal is too tight. Of course you can pass out and have very bad things happen with a neck seal that's way too tight.