PDA

View Full Version : Save Sharks

scubasdaniel
08-19-2007, 20:50
I believe the best way to help save sharks is to cut off money going to China. So BOYCOTT CHINESE MADE GOODS!

deepdiver47
08-19-2007, 21:18
I have and continue to spend a great deal time in China. It isn't just China that is to blame. It is the Taiwanese, Japanese and especially folks in Hong Kong. It is SE Asia in general and our laws as well as they don't have much teeth.

Answer me this, who feels sorry for the shark decline? People will ask me "Aren't you scared to see a shark when you dive? I say, seeing a shark on a dive is a good day. Seeing so many that you can't count (as in Yap), then that is a great day!

I say that you need to blame it on society.

Jaymeany
08-19-2007, 21:20
False representation of shark behavior by the media and the mob mentality of our society are to blame. I little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. We need to educate people as best we can. Thats why I teach Bio.

cgvmer
08-19-2007, 21:23
In one week diving in the Bahamas, every dive included the siting of multiple sharks, after the first day we relaxed and began to mesmerized by there presence.

Xspect
08-19-2007, 21:46
I would love to see sharks too. But is it easy to get lulled into a false sense of security ?

cgvmer
08-19-2007, 21:51
I don't want you to believe we ignored the sharks, instead we kept a very close eye on them. For safety and for their beauty

dmdoss
08-19-2007, 22:15
well crap we have to boycott everything.

deepdiver47
08-20-2007, 07:06
I would love to see sharks too. But is it easy to get lulled into a false sense of security ?

You me diving with them? No it is not so long as you aren't feeding them. I am 100% against those UW shows that bring down a chumsicle and have the divers kneel down and watch the show. That makes sharks think that man=food which is wrong.

Don't get me wrong, Oceanic white tips are something to avoid if you can but the other 99% species of sharks are not life threatening. They are beautifully animals!

scuba Widow
09-01-2007, 22:58
We need to teach people to respect the sharks and their habitat.

greyzen
09-01-2007, 23:08
I just find it hilarious that people have such difficulty separating species.

Sharks are underwater predators...
They aren't as effective at killing humans as a ton of other predators... one major drawback is they can't get you out of the water.

Humans are above water predators...
They are excellent at killing humans, way more so than most other predators. Do you wander your streets at night screaming everytime someone walks by?

Understanding the nature of the predators will protect you as much as you CAN be protected.

scuba Widow
09-01-2007, 23:39

They aren't as effective at killing humans as a ton of other predators... one major drawback is they can't get you out of the water.

They are excellent at killing humans, way more so than most other predators. Do you wander your streets at night screaming everytime someone walks by?

Understanding the nature of the predators will protect you as much as you CAN be protected.

Very well said.

plot
09-02-2007, 08:01

alot of them are scavengers... they'll bite pretty much anything to see if it's edible then eat it. that's what makes them dangerous.. they want to test out your leg to see if it's edible... such as Tiger Sharks in tropical areas.

alot of the predators tend to leave you alone, unless you run into a Great White or something.

gtjason2000
09-02-2007, 08:13
someone wrote a book about trying to buy only made in america stuff for a year and found it impossible.

scubasamurai
09-02-2007, 08:42
hey don't forget the japanese, they love the shark fin soups as well. if we boycott everything than we will have to make everything.
but i like sharks they are our friends. so no more chinese toys for me

Osprey
09-03-2007, 14:02
It isn't just the Chinese though, and there are a lot of people within those countries who really hate shark finning, so they can't be blamed for something they don't support

One of the best things you can do is help educate people on the problem (many websites and organizations can tell you how) and to boycott specifically the restaurants and companies in your area (or that you order from, if internationally) that sell shark products. Encourage your friends and family to choose restaurants, markets, and shops that supply other sustainable fish as well