PDA

View Full Version : best light and why

Hollywood703
08-19-2007, 21:33
I am considering these three lights unless i hear good reasons:

Princeton Tec Miniwave LED
Princeton Tec Shockwave II
Princeton Shockwave LED

Im hoping someone might have used all 3 of these and can tell me the big difference between them. Im more interested in intensity than battery life.

thesmoothdome
08-19-2007, 22:51
I looked at all 3 lights and ended up buying a Shockwave LED. Great light for the money. 12-20 hour battery life. Bright, white light. I also own a UK HID light and while the HID is brighter, the Shockwave holds its own with it.

Travelnsj
08-19-2007, 22:55
I have been looking at the miniwave also. I understand that the miniwave begins to lose intensity after you turn it on until the batteries run out. The UK c4 eLed will maintain its brightness till the batteries almost run out. In comparing the 2 lites the Princeton seems a little brighter than the UK....but if the light fades quickly...perhaps the UK is a better lite?

Maybe we could get Joe or Larry to weigh in.

Hollywood703
08-20-2007, 10:56
I have not seen any of these in person, nor does my LDS carry them to take a look and test them....so input here is vital to my decision...thanks

subsur
08-20-2007, 11:05
i voted others: canister lights from OMS, Greenforce, halcyon or diverite. amazing lights!!!

NitroWill
08-20-2007, 11:05
I dive with UK Lights. (C8 eLed for Primary) very good lights and great customer service.

CompuDude
08-20-2007, 15:26
I prefer UK to Princeton Tec.

Both have lifetime warranties, and both companies are very easy to deal with when warranty service is needed.

The difference is, PT seems to need that warranty service a lot more than UK does. I don't use any of their primary lights, but I've had several smaller lights flood, and had to send them in (they were cheerfully replaced no prob). Other user reports seem to confirm this trend, however.

I'd go with the UK C8 eLED if you want LED, or the HID Light Cannon if you want raw power.

I wouldn't bother with any light that's not HID or LED.

Wolfie2012
08-22-2007, 21:57
I use both a UK HID and PT Shockwave LED. Both are great lights. The HID is a bit brighter but the LED is much more lightweight..

Judestudio
08-22-2007, 22:11
I prefer UK to Princeton Tec.
Me too. I have the C8 eLED Plus. Priced reasonably, indestructible (else, send it back for a new one), and most of all - the regulated circuitry.

Of the three choices, I'd pick the Miniwave LED. Same power as the big C8 version, but more handy to carry around.

chewyjr15
08-22-2007, 22:23
i actually the UK lights and just purchases c4 led and lov eit!

somewhereinla
08-22-2007, 22:36
You want the best, most powerfull and strongest light available...
try that:
http://www.cnsales.net/photontorpedopage.htm

fire diver
08-22-2007, 22:37
I also recommend the HID, if you can swing it.

FD

Hollywood703
08-23-2007, 10:20
ok, i am not going to spend out for an HID as I am dont plan on night diving too much....I just would like a light of about those polled's caliber to have just in case.

mm_dm
08-23-2007, 10:32
I'd go with the UK C8 eLED if you want LED, or the HID Light Cannon if you want raw power.

Ditto that. Plus, you can beat the crap out of a LED (I have) and it just smiles and fires right up.

ScubaToys Larry
08-23-2007, 10:38
As someone earlier pointed out... the Princeton is not regulated - so it starts out brighter than the equivalent UK... but after about an hour, the UK is brighter. Really doesn't make that much difference to me between them though.

As far as the 4C vs 8C versions, here is my take on that. The 4C lights with a handle are too big to fit in a pocket. If I have to carry it anyway - give me the 8C as it's just about 2 1/2 inches longer, and I get a bit more brightness, and much longer burn time between battery changes.

For something in a pocket, a SL4 eled (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=SL4LED) would be fine - but for a primary, I'd rather do the 8 C-cell lights.

Zenagirl
08-23-2007, 12:50
I dive with the Nocturnal Light SLX with is an LED torch. Absolutely love love love it!! The construction is fabulous, it takes AAA batteries, and it's a blue/white light. They do run a little dear in the price department, but with the quality of the light and the customer service as good as ScubaToys (yes, really!), I'm a customer of their for life.

Charles R
08-24-2007, 13:21
i voted others: canister lights from OMS, Greenforce, halcyon or diverite. amazing lights!!!
I second this vote and will add Salvo

ReefHound
08-24-2007, 13:29
As someone earlier pointed out... the Princeton is not regulated - so it starts out brighter than the equivalent UK... but after about an hour, the UK is brighter. Really doesn't make that much difference to me between them though.

That only applies if you're using disposable batteries, which have a gradual voltage dropoff curve. The UK light uses circuitry to maintain the voltage level.

Rechargeable NiMH batteries have a very flat voltage curve, maintaining full voltage til near the end then a sharp dropoff. In effect, you get inherently what the UK circuitry provides so the PT with rechargeables will not suffer a gradual dimming.

CompuDude
08-24-2007, 14:07
You want the best, most powerfull and strongest light available...
try that:
http://www.cnsales.net/photontorpedopage.htm
Best, most powerful and strongest backup light, no. Best most powerful and strongest light? No.

Best backup light, I'd definitely agree with. I own two, one for each rig. :D

Most powerful backup light would go to the handheld 10w HIDs (in the same form factor as the PT) being sold by DiveRite, Salvo, Oxycheq and a few others.

Strongest and most powerful primary lights would both go to any number of HID canister lights, probably the Salvo 35w, but there are others (mostly used for video) that are stronger and more powerful.

But none of these were among those (or in the class of those) being looked at by the OP.

mark44883
08-25-2007, 17:29
uk is the way

ReefHound
08-30-2007, 11:50
As far as the 4C vs 8C versions, here is my take on that. The 4C lights with a handle are too big to fit in a pocket. If I have to carry it anyway - give me the 8C as it's just about 2 1/2 inches longer, and I get a bit more brightness, and much longer burn time between battery changes.

Interesting, here's another way to look at the same data. Longer time between battery changes makes it more likely that I'll not remember when was the last time I changed batteries and will be unsure if I'm an hour away or 4 hours away. It also means I have to replace twice as many batteries, although half as often. Or if using rechargeables, have twice as many to recharge at the same time (which may be limited). If I'm left with dead batteries or no charger, more likely I can bum 4 extra batteries than 8.

BTW, anyone have the light output specs on the UK C4 Eled. The PT miniwave lists 118 to 170 lumens, and 9 watts.

Hollywood703
09-06-2007, 12:26
i read on a site c4 eled is 6 watts and 130 lumen, However, Uk's site lists it as only 80 lumen. Im guessing at 6 watts, the 80 is probably closer to reality.

Damselfish
09-06-2007, 13:02
At this point I don't think it makes sense to buy halogen/xenon lights in most cases. As far as 4C vs 8C, depends what's important to you.

I'm pondering a similar choice right now. I have a Shockwave II and want to replace it with an LED. Since I travel and am always trying to pare down weight, I am going 4C. I plan to use rechargeables so the circuitry in the UK is less advantage. Electricity at my destination takes no space or weight in my luggage.

CompuDude
09-06-2007, 13:29
At this point I don't think it makes sense to buy halogen/xenon lights in most cases. As far as 4C vs 8C, depends what's important to you.

I'm pondering a similar choice right now. I have a Shockwave II and want to replace it with an LED. Since I travel and am always trying to pare down weight, I am going 4C. I plan to use rechargeables so the circuitry in the UK is less advantage. Electricity at my destination takes no space or weight in my luggage.
I agree. HID is another story, but aside from HID, I doubt I'll ever buy another light that's not LED. Far too many advantages.

Xspect
09-06-2007, 14:25
I love the princeton tec

BSea
09-06-2007, 15:22
I have not had great luck with Princeton tec. lights, but I did have a shockwave LED light that worked well. I sold it when I bought a HID light. Even though it wasn't on your list, if you are looking at the Shockwave LED, you might consider the Light Cannon. HID just puts out so much more light. Depending on what kind of diving you are doing, you might be better off with a high end backup light. I guess I tend to think of lights as something that really improves with the money you spend. I just have too many "Dive Lights" that are now surface lights.

brandon
09-06-2007, 16:30
I dive with a UK Light Cannon and an SL4 backup. I love this setup for night diving, and won't change a thing until I can afford a can light =)

-Brandon.

dannybot
09-09-2007, 08:02
try this: http://www.divesports.com/mall/princetec_lts_shockwaveLED.asp
I bought a Princeton hockwave LED on Rick's advice at ST. Liked it enough that I just bought a Princeton LED pack for my wife.

WV Diver
09-09-2007, 08:12
I vote Peilcan "Nemo", comes in 4C or 8C and the electronic switch won't ever wear out, and it comes with a lifetime warranty. You can't beat it for the price either.

I have never been a fan of these Princton lights, it's just my opinion but I have had them in the past and they are designed to need replacing with Mickey Mouse switches and plastic parts.

Bring the Payne
09-11-2007, 22:45
I have used both the PT shockwave and LED. Currently Im using the LED and its great.

NightLife
09-12-2007, 17:24
I have the Princeton Tec Miniwave LED

I have broken the switch twice in the last year. I am not talking about the exterior switch, but rather the interior switch. If you look, the exterior switch pushes the inside peice left to right, that peice broke twice now on me. I am a little rough on my dive bag, but it is INSIDE the light. You would think the exterior switch would break first/ as well. There warranty is great, but I have been stuck without the light twice. Anyone else have this issue?

meesier42
09-12-2007, 19:33
I don't have one yet, but I am going to replace my UK D8 sunlight with a UK C8 eLED plus.

BobArnold8265
09-15-2007, 09:27
If you don't mind spending a few more dollars, the UK HID Light Canon is a great light. I bought one for my Wife a few months ago and it's the best light I've seen for a night dive (unless you plan to spend $400 plus for the more advanced systems).