PDA

View Full Version : Hotel in Key Largo...?

DannyNY
08-19-2007, 21:47
Hi,

I did a search here for diving in the Keys. Seems to me the majority of you like Key Largo. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a Hotel with diving close by...... is that an oxymoron lol I'm 45 and single if that helps. I'm going down in Sept. Any help would be appreaciated...

Danny

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 21:50
The Hungry Pelican is suppose to be good and affordable..
http://www.hungrypelican.com/

Whats your budget on a room?

DannyNY
08-19-2007, 21:55
Well I don't wanna go for my lungs... around $100 - $150 tops. Probably just stay for 4 nights.
Thanks for the quick reply NitroWill

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 21:56
Pelican might be a good option for you - if its just you..I know of some bigger condos but it might b a bit overkill for you..Money saved for more diving! Ill be there this weekend - we'll be camping out in the state park!

Makai
08-19-2007, 22:29
We've stayed twice at the Marina del Mar and been pretty happy both times. I't not fancy but its clean. The rooms have tile floors and larger mini-refrigerators. They also have ceiling fans and good air conditioners. The hotel provides continental breakfast every morning, but it's a little on the light side.

cutter77
08-19-2007, 22:50
Danny,
Who are you planning on diving with?

Black-Gorrilla
08-20-2007, 00:44
look up amoray dive... they have rooms, and a dive boat... (2 actually... 1 for 25-35 people, and a small one)

sidneydiver
08-20-2007, 00:54
We stayed at

http://www.dropanchorresort.com/

ScubaJenn81
08-20-2007, 08:21
We stayed at the Suites at Key Largo and it was great. Go though Silent World for a discount. It is a little roomy for just 2 people but it has a full kitchen and two bathrooms, which comes in great for rinsing out gear and general cleaning up.

DannyNY
08-21-2007, 19:34
Thanks for all the replies... sorry for the delay responding.

cutter77 I'm going alone

I was checking out the Marriott.... and It's A Dive DS, which is supposed to be located in the Hotel. Seems like a nice place with a dive boat just downstairs. They have a package that you have to book through the DS and a STD non view room is $99 with a 3 Trip Reef Dives, thats $195. Anyone hear of this DS? Thanks again for all the replies....

Danny

Black-Gorrilla
08-21-2007, 19:46
*** Disreguard This Blank Space***

Flatliner
08-21-2007, 20:31
We spent 5 days in Key Largo the end of May. We stayed atBay Harbor Resort. http://www.bayharborkeylargo.com/ We were VERY happy BUT we were a group of 6 so the kitchen etc was a big deal. One of my good friends stayed at the Mariott you mentioned and swears by it. Said it was awesome.

If you have any specific questions I can help you with, pm me.

dmdoss
08-21-2007, 21:19
http://www.sunsetcovebeachresort.com/

rainmaker
08-21-2007, 21:56
We stayed at the Bay Harbor Lodge for a week in Feb. 2006, and dived with Silent World. Had a very enjoyable trip. My trip report is located here:

http://www.trailquest.net/scubatrips.html#keylargo06 .

mike_s
08-21-2007, 22:17
Typically I'd suggest the Holiday Inn. It's your normal Holiday Inn (w/o problems) so you know what to expect and the rates are decent and dive boats out the back door. It's easy and has a nice pool.

Stayed at Bayside Resort. The rooms were clean, it was simple and no major complaints, but nothing great. The only thing is that it's got a very wimpy pool if you've got kids. Sunsets from their dock over the bay were very nice though.

DannyNY
08-23-2007, 16:41
I want to thank everyone for their help & suggestions. I made my decision, Thanks mike_s, staying at the Holiday Inn Key Largo, looks like a nice place... $85 a night is very good too. Thanks to ScubaJenn and rainmaker, I'll be diving with Silent World. Thanks again for the help. If anyone will be down that way 9/17 - 21st, give me a holler... And of course any thoughts on this combination, DS/Hotel, are welcomed.

Danny

NitroWill
08-23-2007, 16:43
Sounds good! Hope you enjoy :) Im going there tomorrow-sunday!

Harshal
08-23-2007, 16:48
I want to thank everyone for their help & suggestions. I made my decision, Thanks mike_s, staying at the Holiday Inn Key Largo, looks like a nice place... $85 a night is very good too. Thanks to ScubaJenn and rainmaker, I'll be diving with Silent World. Thanks again for the help. If anyone will be down that way 9/17 - 21st, give me a holler... And of course any thoughts on this combination, DS/Hotel, are welcomed.

Danny

Yep Holiday Inn is great and its right on the dock, what dive company are you diving with. I have used Rainbow Reef in past and they are right there outside Holiday Inn, if you call them and book room thru them you will get a better deal. Also other side of the Dock is Ramada and they are good too.

NitroWill
08-23-2007, 16:52

Danny

what dive company are you diving with..

guess you didnt read what you quoted :smiley36:

Harshal
08-23-2007, 17:00

Danny

what dive company are you diving with..

guess you didnt read what you quoted :smiley36:

My Bad...... skipped over that line.

cudachaser
08-23-2007, 17:21
I stay at either Port Largo Villas, a condo that can easily sleep 6, or Marina del Mar

DannyNY
08-23-2007, 17:58

Thanks, Have a great trip yourself... Let us know how it went :smiley20:

NitroWill
08-23-2007, 18:00

Thanks, Have a great trip yourself... Let us know how it went :smiley20:

Will do - hopin the weather stays nice..

mike_s
08-23-2007, 20:17

Danny

You'll be happy with the Holiday Inn. It's nothing fancy, but we were pretty happy with it.

It's got 2 pools in the middle and a tiki bar between them. the pools are pretty nice. The rooms are standard holiday inn, but were clean and nice. the AC was COLD, which is what we liked. We had a mini fridge in our room which was nice.

I'm sure they have elevators, but I always asked for a room on the first floor as it was easier with dive gear. some of the rooms overlook the parking lot and some overlook the pool. FYI for your choice. They also have another "newer" building about back that overlooks the marina and it's got an internal hallway instead of each room opening out into the open.

within walking distance is Burger King across the street, I think Wendys also across the street. McDonalds and a gas station are next door. IN the parking lot next door is Divers Direct (Worldwide Watersports), a laundry, coffee shop and grocery store. I've heard the coffee shop and grocery store closed. It was handy being next door, but the Publix a few miles down the road was much nicer. There is also either an Eckers or Walgreens or other brand name drug store within walking distance.

If you want a view of the sunset and a place to drink a cold beer withing walking distance, go to Snooks across the street as they have a bar on the bay. Their food was decent, but not great and the food service was nothing to write home about, but if you sat outside and wanted to watch the sun set and drink a cold beer it wasn't that bad. It's to the left of Bayside Resort down an small driveway. (walk through the bayside property if you want to).

Other suggesions while there?
Fish House in Key Largo is good to eat.

The Islamorada fish market (about 30 minutes) to me is worth the trip. They've got a Bass Pro Shop type store there at the marina and a Fish Market resturant on the docks. The food is fish basket fried stuf, but it's cheap and fresh and great. You can sit on the docks there and watch the sun set which is really relaxing. The highlight of the evening is around sunet the take all the fish scraps of the day and feed it to the sharks, which start "patrolling" about 30-45 minutes before dark as you see their main fin protruding out of the water. lots of huge tarpon also. It's very interesting to see and all part of the fun of being on vacation.

hope that info is helpful. feel free to PM if you've got questions.