PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever try to "replace" a non user replaceble battery?

Black-Gorrilla
01-13-2009, 00:08
I picked up a bottom timer (knowing that when it dies, it dies, as it cant have the battery replace), but this one should last for aprox. 3-4 years from now (judging by the avg. 10 year lifespan)
Either way, im thinking of taking it apart and maybe getting a new batt. in there just for kicks...
This would be done with the help of a Almost Engineer/Helicopter Pilot/Tool Savvy person (read father)
Any thoughts or opinions? anyone ever crack open Uwatec style bottom timers?
Thanks guys.

Travman
01-13-2009, 04:56
I've wondered about the Mares Nemo. It says the battery is non-user replaceable. But its just a basic watch battery, I would think take the 4 screws off the back and replace it. Maybe the seal needs to be replaced at the same time.

keyshunter
01-13-2009, 06:10
I don't know about yout Uwatec, but my old Aladin Pro had a battery with solder on leads. I replaced it myself several times. Battery is available on ebay. It was not nearly as tricky as replacing the battery on my Suunto Favor, no soldering, but the battery compartment cover is actually held in place by the back plate. I have also done that one several times, but I don't recommend it to the average person.

Black-Gorrilla
01-13-2009, 06:27
I don't know about yout Uwatec, but my old Aladin Pro had a battery with solder on leads.

I heard some of the UWATECs have it soldered on, and some dont... the soldering is not a big deal, i just wonder if i will be able to open and seal it properly?

lund0485
01-13-2009, 10:16
I did my diverite bridge II nonuser replaceable battery by myself without problems.

Capt Hook
01-13-2009, 11:26
Have replaced a "factory" replacable battery on a Tusa comp twice now with no problems.

CompuDude
01-13-2009, 16:55
Just don't try to replace the batteries in the Uwatec Smart computers... the innards are packed with special silicone gel, so there's no air inside. Not worth the hassle, if it's even possible to do without equipment.

Black-Gorrilla
01-13-2009, 19:25
Just don't try to replace the batteries in the Uwatec Smart computers... the innards are packed with special silicone gel, so there's no air inside. Not worth the hassle, if it's even possible to do without equipment.

I heard that the bottom timer might be oil filled as well.

zoey
01-13-2009, 22:04
I wonder if, aside from creating future return business, the reason they don't want you to open it up is because they figure you won't pressure test after words?

If you are worried about a leak, you could change the battery and have it pressure tested at a watch shop. My local watch repair place charges me something like $20 for a pressure test.

Black-Gorrilla
01-13-2009, 22:36
the reason they dont want you to open it is because they charge like 70-80 bux to "change" it out for you from what i hear... they basically give you a new one and recycle yours (clean, new cover, new battery, new owner)

Black-Gorrilla
01-13-2009, 22:57
well... found this...
Uwatec Digital depth gauge - DIY battery exchange (http://www.mkotva.cz/uwatec/digital_en.htm)

Guess im just gonna dive this thing till it gives out and then......... who knows. It looks rather complex to get the battery switched out on it. (we'll see when mine actually comes in)

CFDAlden
01-13-2009, 23:46

I heard that the bottom timer might be oil filled as well.

My old Aladin was oil filled. They wanted $120 for shipping / labor. I spent a little more, and got a new Gekko, which fits me fine. :)

obrules15
01-14-2009, 07:51
I've wondered about the Mares Nemo. It says the battery is non-user replaceable. But its just a basic watch battery, I would think take the 4 screws off the back and replace it. Maybe the seal needs to be replaced at the same time.

I replaced the battery on my Nemo not realizing it was non-user replaceable and dove with it and it was just fine.

zoey
01-14-2009, 10:50
Wow, that looks like it might not be worth the hassle (from the above link).

Buoyant1
01-14-2009, 11:24
I don't know about yout Uwatec, but my old Aladin Pro had a battery with solder on leads.

I heard some of the UWATECs have it soldered on, and some dont... the soldering is not a big deal, i just wonder if i will be able to open and seal it properly?

I had a similar issue with a piece of musical equipment a few years back..the manufacturer wanted you to send it in have THEM replace it and charge you $75-100 to do it... the guy at the shop said to get a specific watch battery, and he'd replace it in about ten minutes for me...it was soldered in...he charged me $10.00! and showed me how to do it if it dies again... (Warranty was over and done with by this time so I wasn't voiding anything, and future service was $50. just to look at it regardless of what was wrong with it)

But there were no pressure issues to worry about (I wasn't taking it to 4 atm!)