PDA

View Full Version : BCs and air travel

johm77
07-11-2007, 14:40
I was looking at BC's at various dive shops and noticed they are pretty darn heavy, especially the less expensive jacket-style BC's.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm actually planning on buying a regulator/computer combo first, then my next purchase will be a BC.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Does anyone have any problems making luggage weight with their scuba equipment?</DIV>

georoc01
07-11-2007, 14:57
Well, my computer/reg going in my carry on, so its not part of the weight equation. But my mask, BC, fins, suit etc, weighs about 40lb so I have been able to get under the limit without a problem.
<DIV></DIV>My only concern are some of these small planes that have only 30lb limits like they use in Costa Rica. Seems like I would have to eat the price and pay for additional weight.

jacewindu
07-11-2007, 14:58
i just got back from a weeklong trip to hawaii. BC, fins, wetsuit in the checked bag weren't any problem at all. I usually keep my mask in my carry on (just in case)

if you're over 50 lbs, you're bringing too many clothes :)

CompuDude
07-11-2007, 15:01
Luggage weight restrictions is a big issue in Scuba.

There are a few BCs that travel fairly well, but nothing packs as compactly as a backplate and wing. Check out the OxyCheq Mach V (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=OxyMachVWing) wing with a DiveRite aluminum backplate (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DiveRiteBackPlate) and simple harness and you'll have the ultimate travel package. The Zeagle Escape (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleEscape) is probably the only thing that comes close in a traditional-style BC.

johm77
07-11-2007, 15:47
Thanks for all the replies. An additional problem I have is that I'll be traveling for Business, so I'll need to bring an ample supply of work clothes / shoes, in addition to my laptop.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But, being that it is travel, I guess I can just expense the additional luggage fees, if need be.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>CompuDude, I was under the impression that backplate / wings were heavier. Thanks for the info.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>-johm</DIV>

CompuDude
07-11-2007, 16:04
Thanks for all the replies. An additional problem I have is that I'll be traveling for Business, so I'll need to bring an ample supply of work clothes / shoes, in addition to my laptop.
<div></div>
<div>But, being that it is travel, I guess I can just expense the additional luggage fees, if need be.</div>
<div></div>
<div>CompuDude, I was under the impression that backplate / wings were heavier. Thanks for the info.</div>
<div></div>
<div>-johm</div>
The steel backplates are heavier, and steel plates are good for diving colder waters, but for warm water diving (and certain specific situations in cold water) the aluminum plates work well.

Illini_Fan
07-11-2007, 16:05
I can't speak to anyone other than AA since they seem to be the only domestic airline I fly, but you can check two pieces of luggage per passenger, so the business clothes should not be an issue.

ScubaToys Joe
07-11-2007, 16:47
The most popular travel BCD is the Zeagle Brigade (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ZeagleBrigade) it has a nice sturdy frame with a 35 lb. bladder that make it light weight and it packs very small without giving up the secure fit that Zeagle is famous for!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Joe </DIV>

ertechsg
07-11-2007, 18:08
No full set of gear, riptide BC (BLACK)+week of shortsunder50 lbs

Diver Dennis
07-11-2007, 18:23
It can be a problem traveling in Asia where the check i weight limit is 20kgs, especially with housings and strobes but there are airlines like Malaysia that will give you an extra 10kgs, if you ask. You have to dig pretty deep to find it on their website... smileys/smiley2.gif

reaver
07-12-2007, 00:32
I haven't encountered any issues travelling with 2 BCDs, 2 pairs of fins, 2 wetsuits, masks and snorkels. My wife and I usually stay within the limit. Maybe because we don't bring our own regs.
<DIV>Anyway, I heard that some airlines will increase the allowed weight limit for you if you say that you are bringing sporting equipment. Haven't tried it though.</DIV>

Diver Dennis
07-12-2007, 10:49
I don't think airlines in North America give extra for Scuba gear, they include it in your free baggage allowance.

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 11:38
I don't think airlines in North America give extra for Scuba gear, they include it in your free baggage allowance.
Actually, I did read that somewhere. I think it's only one airline, but they bump it from a 50 to 70# allowance. I can't recall the airline.

Does you no good if you're connecting somewhere to another airline, however.

Regardless, it's good practice to check with the airline (both their website - and print and bring it - and an actual agent on the phone) to make sure of what their current regulations are, especially if you think you'll be pushing the limits.

Also don't forget that gear is often heavier on the way back, unless you have time to thoroughly clean and dry it.

Skinsfan1311
07-12-2007, 12:25
The Zeagle Stiletto is a perfect BC for for travelling...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In a carry-on, I can fit the Stiletto, regulators, a shortie, flashlight, wrist computer, mask, batteries &amp; a small camera.</DIV>

liuk3
07-12-2007, 15:18
I did this on Continental Airlines.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>They were going to charge me extra for weight overage. I told them that there was a special allocation for scuba gear, and that the weight limit on the bag could go to 70 lbs. They at first didn't believe me, and I told them to look it up in their system. They then let me check in my 69 pound bag with dive gear on the planewith no additional charges. It happened successfully for me on 4 different flights.</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-12-2007, 19:17
If you're that close - you better make sure all your gear is dry before you pack!

MtnDiver
07-13-2007, 00:00
In my large Acona duffel, I can packmy regs, computer, full 3 mil, Brigade BC, fins, booties, mask, lights, swimsuits and misc clothes, my underwater camera housing &amp; a charger...and it comes in right at 48 pounds. Perfect!

przeor
07-13-2007, 02:58
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>They were going to charge me extra for weight overage. I told them that there was a special allocation for scuba gear, and that the weight limit on the bag could go to 70 lbs. They at first didn't believe me, and I told them to look it up in their system. They then let me check in my 69 pound bag with dive gear on the planewith no additional charges. It happened successfully for me on 4 different flights.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Where is this information online? I couldn't find the part where the weight was 70lbs..</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FWIW, I get my bp/w, regs, mask, fins, boots and a fair amount of clothes (for warm destinations) in my carry-on. Makes getting through the airport a breeze!</DIV>

WaterRat
07-13-2007, 17:22
I have to agree with the BP/W. Aluminum plate and a small wing would pack small and be light weight.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Also with the BP/W the plate never wears out, harness can be replaced for $15 in webbing, wings can be changed for doubles.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>BP/W - FTW http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

dutch552
07-13-2007, 22:20
Agreed. The Stilleto is the most functional of any of the so-called travel BC's that I have used in the water. I haven't tried the new one from Mares yet but it also looks promising.

Mooosse
07-15-2007, 09:12
Or disconnect the tank before packing!!
<DIV></DIV>

Mooosse
07-15-2007, 09:15
I pack 2 Oceanic Probes, 2 shortys, 2gloves, 4boots,4 fins, 2 masks, 2 snorkel in my checked - carry onthe DC and the regs and have not even come close (I don't trust RENTAL regs).
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Harshal
07-16-2007, 15:38
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Do they really have that on their website or they did not bother to check their website?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Harshal
07-16-2007, 15:41
Only thing I would like to say is, if you are using a pelican it is very difficult to keep everything under weight. If you use any other kind of luggage then it should be ok it is not a problem, like everubody mentioned regulator and computer go in carryon and not check- in. Other thing I do if I am getting heavy in my scuba bag I would put my primary light in other checked bag.

BSea
07-16-2007, 23:53
I carry on my regs, computer and any lights. Sometimes I think my carry-on is over 50 lbshttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif. Especially if I have a long walk to the gate. But I've never been even close to the 50 lbs limit on any of my checked bags. I do pack a steel backplate. It's only 3 pounds more than an aluminum plate, and it's so much nicer to have that weight on your back if you have the room..

llv21
07-17-2007, 00:16
I have the Mare LE Morphos Metal Tech BC and love it. it folds up small and leaves room for fins, wetsuit, etc with no problem. I carry on reg/computer and mask.

loudgonzo
07-23-2007, 21:13
I travel with the Stilleto, with fins and all. Using this bag,

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TusaBP2

I check in at 44-48 pounds, depending if I also include towels, and if my BC is wet/damp etc....The only issue I have is lugging the scuba bag, personal bag, laptop bag, and a bag of souvenirs from wherever I'm atsmileys/smiley2.gif

llv21
07-24-2007, 16:13
I have the same bag and it is great. It will hold everything and still have room for growth.

Moxie
07-27-2007, 09:36
Ohhhhh I like that bag.... hmmmm might have to get one.

Travelnsj
08-02-2007, 22:44
I have been looking for a new travel BC...the one I think I have settled on is the Oceanic OceanPro....under 7 lbs!...if anyone has a better idea...my current BCD is not dead yet....need something light weight and Jacket style.

deepdiver47
08-03-2007, 08:41
this is true, CO's policy will let you if you tell them that it is scuba gear

letsgodiving
08-09-2007, 10:47

That depends where and which airlines you fly. In Europe most airlines allow one 44lbs case, and a small carry no heavier than 15lbs(5lbs with some airlines). So yes in Europe traveling with scuba equipment is a real issue.

Most US airlines, or US ticketed passengers get a two check-in bag allowance, 55lbs-70lbs depending on the airlines, plus carry on rules are much laxer. We recently went to the Bahamas and the scuba gear for three people went in two cases, 53lbs and 64lbs. So our scuba gear only accounted for 25% of our checked in allowance.

vel525
08-09-2007, 11:08
i use a large tilos rolling duffle-type bag and it fits my dive gear and clothes for a week fine. dive gear includes BCD, wetsuits, fins, misc dive gear and clothe. i'm usually in the 40lb range. i usually bring my regs, masks, and dive computer on the plane with me. my wife brings her own bag. i am hoping that since we are both switching to bp/w that we will be able to pack both our dive gear in one bag....we'll see!

tywenglar
08-09-2007, 11:21
The most popular travel BCD is the Zeagle Brigade (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ZeagleBrigade) it has a nice sturdy frame with a 35 lb. bladder that make it light weight and it packs very small without giving up the secure fit that Zeagle is famous for!

Joe </DIV>

I use a Brigade. It is a great traveling BC.

All my scuba gear (minus reg which I carry on) fits in one bag that easily meets the weight restrictions.

I typically only check my scuba gear.

I carry-on a case for clothes and my breifcase with computer etc.

namabiru
08-09-2007, 11:54
Ha, the Zeagle Ranger isn't so good a traveling BC...

However, carrying your reg on the plane (which you should do anyway IMHO) drastically cuts down on the weight problem in your checked bag.

CompuDude
08-09-2007, 13:09

That depends where and which airlines you fly. In Europe most airlines allow one 44lbs case, and a small carry no heavier than 15lbs(5lbs with some airlines). So yes in Europe traveling with scuba equipment is a real issue.

Most US airlines, or US ticketed passengers get a two check-in bag allowance, 55lbs-70lbs depending on the airlines, plus carry on rules are much laxer. We recently went to the Bahamas and the scuba gear for three people went in two cases, 53lbs and 64lbs. So our scuba gear only accounted for 25% of our checked in allowance.

It's a big issue in Asia and most every country in the world other than U.S., is that what you meant to say?

Most U.S. airlines allow two 50lb bags to be checked. Only one, that I know of, makes an extra allowance for "sporting gear" of up to 70 pounds. And that's only one bag on one airline, and not for every trip. And if you connect to another airline, it does you no good anyway.

I don't know about you, but personally, with camera gear, drysuits, double regs sets, canister lights, heavy jetfins, and bp/w (even without extra weight), it's REALLY easy to go over the U.S. weight limit for me on a longer vacation to somewhere that's not necessarily tropical in temp.

So yes... weight restrictions in scuba are often a big issue, but there are a few exceptions where it's not that big of a deal.

Wolfie2012
08-09-2007, 13:43
Most U.S. airlines allow two 50lb bags to be checked. Only one, that I know of, makes an extra allowance for "sporting gear" of up to 70 pounds. And that's only one bag on one airline, and not for every trip. And if you connect to another airline, it does you no good anyway.

I don't know about you, but personally, with camera gear, drysuits, double regs sets, canister lights, heavy jetfins, and bp/w (even without extra weight), it's REALLY easy to go over the U.S. weight limit for me on a longer vacation to somewhere that's not necessarily tropical in temp.

So yes... weight restrictions in scuba are often a big issue, but there are a few exceptions where it's not that big of a deal.

I'm always running into weight issues with my scuba gear, though it is my wife's gear too. Typically we're right at the 50lb mark for all our bags, even carrying on computers, regs, compass, etc.

nferra2
08-09-2007, 14:20
After reading this thread, It makes me wonder how I am ever going to go on a remote scuba trip with all my scuba gear and my normal gear. I would have my DSLR camera and all of those lenses, Laptop and scuba gear for 2. I could only carry on so much, It would definatly be the Camera, Laptop and Regs. I thought my last vacation was rough packing.

namabiru
08-10-2007, 14:15
Heh. I guess you could go to the Goodwill and get some cargo pants (remember--cast-off fashion trends are your friend). Or get a fishing vest and load the mother up. I think I got this idea from Mr. Clay Coleman in his wonderful guide to diving. :)

CompuDude
08-10-2007, 17:49
After reading this thread, It makes me wonder how I am ever going to go on a remote scuba trip with all my scuba gear and my normal gear. I would have my DSLR camera and all of those lenses, Laptop and scuba gear for 2. I could only carry on so much, It would definatly be the Camera, Laptop and Regs. I thought my last vacation was rough packing.
It's easy... just pay a small fortune in extra/overweight luggage fees, and bring whatever you need. :D

Note that I've heard there are times when they are full/overloaded already, however, and won't allow extra. At that point, FedEx/UPS is probably your only option, if you have to have everything.

Travelnsj
08-10-2007, 21:55

You should fly to Raja Ampat or just about anywhere else in Indonesia.....sometime.....44lbs.....and being you will fly 2 to 3 airlines to get there....each one will charge you overage!

letsgodiving
08-12-2007, 10:14
[quote=letsgodiving;20856]

Most U.S. airlines allow two 50lb bags to be checked.

That is a very recent change, the limit used to be 65-75lbs.

Update July 05 : Until now, airlines would generally allow a maximum weight of 65lbs - 70lbs per bag on international flights. In late July, Northwest announced it was now limiting the weight per bag on international flights, bringing it down to the same 50lb limit as on its domestic flights. We expect other airlines will probably copy and lower their international weight allowances too.
Update Aug 05 : Continental is now limiting international bags to a 50lb allowance too.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/travelaccessories/airlinecheckedluggageallowances.htm

letsgodiving
08-12-2007, 10:20
You should fly to Raja Ampat or just about anywhere else in indonesia.....sometime.....44lbs.....and being you will fly 2 to 3 airlines to get there....each one will charge you overage!

We stick to the Caribbean, just so much easier for us based in Florida. We can actually take a 7-day cruise to Belize, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Costa Maya, for under $600pp for a balcony stateroom. A 30-minutes drive to the dock, no baggage restrictions, unlimited food and some pretty good dive locations.

deepdiver47
08-12-2007, 14:21

Update July 05 : Until now, airlines would generally allow a maximum weight of 65lbs - 70lbs per bag on international flights. In late July, Northwest announced it was now limiting the weight per bag on international flights, bringing it down to the same 50lb limit as on its domestic flights. We expect other airlines will probably copy and lower their international weight allowances too.
Update Aug 05 : Continental is now limiting international bags to a 50lb allowance too.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/travelaccessories/airlinecheckedluggageallowances.htm

CO has an exemption for scuba gear but you must ask for it. Is in there specs but they must dig for it. I am a platinum and I am not bound by weight limits which is a very nice thing

CompuDude
08-13-2007, 12:52

CO has an exemption for scuba gear but you must ask for it. Is in there specs but they must dig for it. I am a platinum and I am not bound by weight limits which is a very nice thing
That's pretty cool, although it won't help you if you need to transfer to another airline once you reach your destination country. That's where the real trouble starts... 2x 50lb bags is a limit I can live with. The significantly lower limits I hit once the big transatlantic flight is over, however... oy.

Suther2136
08-13-2007, 20:40
Don't get burnt, you get 2 bags at 50lbs each to and from the US directly. If you take a side trip you get 20KG (44lbs) total! Ran into this going between Poland and Germany, prior to returning home.

CompuDude
08-13-2007, 21:22
Don't get burnt, you get 2 bags at 50lbs each to and from the US directly. If you take a side trip you get 20KG (44lbs) total! Ran into this going between Poland and Germany, prior to returning home.
Precisely... I'm dealing with a similar situation for my upcoming trip to Thailand in January. No problem on the way over to Bangkok, but BIG problem going from Bangkok to Phuket.