PDA

View Full Version : Guam diving

beenerachi
01-13-2009, 23:03
I heard that MDA is ok, but when I do research online, some guy says that he 'no longer endorses MDA' and should try GTDS. So based on recent experience (say in the last year), can you make any reccomendations for Guam diving?

And please don't write back saying that I should go to Palau or Truk. Thanks.

gbrdiver
01-18-2009, 01:08
I used GTDS last time I was there and was very happy with their flexible, friendly approach.

Zeagle Eagle
01-19-2009, 00:45
I heard that MDA is ok, but when I do research online, some guy says that he 'no longer endorses MDA' and should try GTDS. So based on recent experience (say in the last year), can you make any reccomendations for Guam diving?

And please don't write back saying that I should go to Palau or Truk. Thanks.
I have tried several of the dive operators on Guam including GTDS. Most are pretty good; but, I highly recommend MDA. It has been around since 1982 and is the largest full service training and diving support business in the western pacific. I probably have several hundred dives with MDA and have never been disappointed. On those few occasions when I did complain I was offered another dive or a refund.

I won't tell you to go to Palau or Chuuk, but I will tell you it's like the difference between the space shuttle and a bottle rocket.

beenerachi
01-19-2009, 15:03
[quote=beenerachi;262524]
I won't tell you to go to Palau or Chuuk, but I will tell you it's like the difference between the space shuttle and a bottle rocket.

Hee hee, yea, I know. It's just that sometimes you don't have the luxury of diving everyday on a trip when your wife can't dive. So, I figure, I'm close enough to Guam, and sometimes, the journey to the moon on a space shuttle is more fun than actually diving right into it....(at least that's what I tell myself)....

Thanks for the tips.

Zeagle Eagle
01-28-2009, 00:28
[quote=beenerachi;262524]

Hee hee, yea, I know. It's just that sometimes you don't have the luxury of diving everyday on a trip when your wife can't dive. So, I figure, I'm close enough to Guam, and sometimes, the journey to the moon on a space shuttle is more fun than actually diving right into it....(at least that's what I tell myself)....

Thanks for the tips.

Don't get me wrong you will absolutely enjoy the diving on Guam. I sure did and can't wait to go back.

Bill22
02-01-2009, 16:31
I dived with MDA for a week in December 2007. Thought they had a pretty nice operation. Prices were reasonable.

My only issue was that they wouldn't let me dive during the week unless I had a buddy with me. The boat was taken up mostly by Japanese tourists during the week (this is not a problem on weekends). They didn't feel that they could "guarantee" that I would have a buddy.

My friends (who ironically were Japanese :)) were leaving to go back to Japan on an earlier flight so could not dive on the last day before the flight. I was faced with having no dive buddy that day.

Fortunately I ran into someone at the shop who we had met earlier while diving Gab Gab at the US Navy base. She offered to dive with me and I got two more dives in before I had to leave :)