PDA

View Full Version : Luxfer Tanks

skdvr
01-14-2009, 09:13
I heard from a Dive shop owner that Luxfer is getting out of the scuba tanks buisness? Has anyone else heard that?

Phil

JCAT
01-14-2009, 09:36
There is a thread on SB about this. I think they are scaling down, but unsure.

CompuDude
01-14-2009, 12:30
There's a thread on DecoStop also. The rumor is true... they're almost entirely getting out, although they're still doing custom runs on occasion. For the most part, though, they're done, at least for a while, possibly forever. They're not trashing their tooling, however, so they could always change their mind. Don't hold your breath, however.

Per Joel (owner of TDL), Luxfer will continue to make some sizes on special order but have increased their prices by over 25% and therefore are not even remotely competitive in today’s market place.

Fortunately, in addition to Catalina, there are a couple of new players who should be fully able to take up the slack, at least here in the domestic market, such as Hy-Mark (or cyltecs, same thing).

ianr33
01-14-2009, 12:43
Anybody want to buy my Luxfers? These are now COLLECTORS PIECES.

Only $400 each.

CompuDude
01-14-2009, 13:40

Only $400 each.

Talk to me once Joel's blowout sale is over. ;) I just ordered another Al.40, just in case!

ianr33
01-14-2009, 14:07

Only $400 each.

Talk to me once Joel's blowout sale is over. ;) I just ordered another Al.40, just in case!

Tank speculators like you are going to push prices up to crazy levels. Think I'm going to wait until the bubble bursts and pick up some tanks at firesale prices :smiley36:

Black-Gorrilla
01-14-2009, 15:08

Only $400 each.

Tank speculators like you are going to push prices up to crazy levels. Think I'm going to wait until the bubble bursts and pick up some tanks at firesale prices :smiley36:

let me know when those prices happen please.

skdvr
01-14-2009, 17:03
Another good deal on them here (https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=141_145&products_id=2341) plus he is paying $10 of the shipping

Phil

ppo2_diver
01-14-2009, 17:05
I'm fortunate I can get Hy-Mark cylinders direct from the distributor, just down the street.

CompuDude
01-14-2009, 17:15
Another good deal on them here (https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=141_145&products_id=2341) plus he is paying $10 of the shipping

Phil

Good deal, yes, but that's the HyMark/Cyl-Tec tank, not the Luxfer.

Rainer
01-14-2009, 17:18

Phil

Yup.

I have a couple Luxfers, but I'm having Mike send me one of these for review. If you want to try it out in a few weeks, feel free. I'll post up a review/comparison in the near future.

Saw you picked up a second 40. Are you actually using them yet?

skdvr
01-14-2009, 17:47
supposedly they are supposed to have the same characteristics of the luxfer, BUT I have not tried them yet. I already have a Luxfer 40, and I thought about trying one of the hymark just to see how they compare. One of my buddies just bought one of the HyMark 40, and he is using my 40 during his trimix class so he was going to see if there was one he liked better over the other for any reason. Rainer I will be interestd in hearing what you think of them...

Phil

ppo2_diver
01-14-2009, 18:00
I've used the Hy-Mark AL40, it does ride just like the Luxfers. I couldn't tell the difference like I could with Catalina.

CompuDude
01-14-2009, 19:43

Phil

Yup.

I have a couple Luxfers, but I'm having Mike send me one of these for review. If you want to try it out in a few weeks, feel free. I'll post up a review/comparison in the near future.

I carry them now and then for practice, but no, I'm not doing formal dives with 3 gasses yet.

JCAT
01-14-2009, 20:14
Slight hijack, but sorta in line.

Was talking to an old guy today (older than me), and he was selling some tanks. He referred to one as a 10lb pony tank.

I thought it odd since he could not tell me how many cf it was.

Question- Were tank sizes ever referred to in pounds in the distant scuba past? 1950s-60s-70s

thanks, sorry for slight hijack

Rainer
01-14-2009, 20:35

Phil

Yup.

I carry them now and then for practice, but no, I'm not doing formal dives with 3 gasses yet.

But lots of informal three gas ones? :smiley36:

Vegas
01-14-2009, 21:43

no?
but why, CompuDude? (I'm glad to see you back! - this is what I was up to while you were gone!)
http://forum.scubatoys.com/techies-dir-cave-etc/20284-vegas-went-dark-side.html?mode=threaded
(and current count is three post-cert technical dives now :) - I feel like such a newbie! but you know how it goes - practice practice practice!)

oh...and to stay on topic,
yup, I just picked up two Al72's myself
(I've heard great reviews, from the people I trust the most, that they make a much nicer deco bottle than an al80) .... and looking at the 72's sitting side by side with my 80's, I can definitely see that they would....

For now I'm just using 2 AL40's...they are easy to carry, but I am just beginning to get an understanding of their limitations...

--- LOL, I guess I'm only kind-of on topic...
because
I just went out and checked...
my new tanks are HyMark ~

but they sure are Purty! :smiley9:

skdvr
01-15-2009, 04:53
yup, I just picked up two Al72's myself
(I've heard great reviews, from the people I trust the most, that they make a much nicer deco bottle than an al80) .... and looking at the 72's sitting side by side with my 80's, I can definitely see that they would....

Are they AL72's or are they Steel 72's? I had been looking at buing a set of steel 72's to use as Deco bottles but only because I am looking to go down the cave route, and the deco bottles get dropped off. No tec diving for me yet, but this summer should get Advanced Nitrox/Deco, and hopefully twards the end of the year or early next year, cavern and intro to cave.

Phil

Vegas
01-15-2009, 20:48
Are they AL72's or are they Steel 72's? I had been looking at buing a set of steel 72's to use as Deco bottles but only because I am looking to go down the cave route, and the deco bottles get dropped off. No tec diving for me yet, but this summer should get Advanced Nitrox/Deco, and hopefully twards the end of the year or early next year, cavern and intro to cave.

Phil

They are Aluminum...
....steel would sure be heavy....
of course, I'm under 5'5" ....so I really think about how much something is going to weigh, and how hard it's going to be to carry before I make any additions to my set-up. ....even if I only have to carry it a short way.

skdvr
01-16-2009, 05:03
Cool, I had just never heard of them... After I posted I was trying to find them and still could not even though I read a post on another board where someone had referenced them.

Phil