PDA

View Full Version : another "whats the perfect reg" question

frkjerm
08-20-2007, 07:40
trying to put the finishing touches on my first scuba package and I am trying to figure out what reg I should get. I was looking at the Aeris at400 but not sure.
I stopped by the lds to see what they carried thinking maybe buying it locally would be better for getting it serviced, They had a scubapro mk25/g250. but what they were asking for it with a basic set of gauges was almost the cost of a complete package from scubatoys.
I dont mind spending a little extra for a better product but that seemed crazy.
so that being said, I dive in Massachusetts, (so the water is on the chilly side) salt water and fresh and have access to alot of din tanks. what would you guys and girls suggest I take a look at?

Thanks
Jeremy

mwhities
08-20-2007, 08:31
I love my ScubaPro's. I've only used an Oceanic before. I doubt I'll go to any other reg.

Michael

finflippers
08-20-2007, 08:42
I think that my next regulator purchase will be a 300 bar din. that way I could use any tank as long as I have an adapter. More and more I am seeing higher pressure tanks so I think the 300bar din will be the best way for the long haul.

Have you tried renting different regs from different LDS's to see how they differ? Might help narrow down what you really will want.

subsur
08-20-2007, 10:49
pretty much all regs are reliable nowadays. what you should be looking at is whether you're planning to dive in very cold water, if so, get the one that's made for it. also, i'd get a din regulator. it's very easy to get a DIN to Yoke adaptor and use your reg with a yoke tank. make sure you can easily service your reg in your vicinity. if you are travelling a lot to remote places, make sure you can easily get spare parts as availability of diveshops and parts for some regs goes down as you go away from touristy places.

jpatmore
08-21-2007, 03:05
I have used to have Oceanic GT3/CDX5, which was a good value reg. Recently upgraded to Zeagle Flathead XP with ZX second .... easily the best reg I have dived.

Xspect
08-21-2007, 06:26
I dive with a scubapro mk25/s555. My wife dive with a delta iv.

I love my reg but hers is sealed with DVT. That is a plus for her.

JugglingMonkeys
08-21-2007, 06:41
scubapro regs are expensive but also very good.