PDA

View Full Version : Suunto D6 battery replacement

madrid
01-17-2009, 17:16
I have a Suunto D6 and after 2 and a half years of use I expect to have to replace the battery soon. The D6 does not have a user replaceable battery and it seems it may have to be sent for service. I am concerned that in the middle of a diving trip the battery may die and I won't be left without a computer. Where can I send for service? Has anyone tried to replace the battery?

Thanks for your help!:thumb:

Aussie
01-18-2009, 04:01
I have a Suunto D6 and after 2 and a half years of use I expect to have to replace the battery soon. The D6 does not have a user replaceable battery and it seems it may have to be sent for service. I am concerned that in the middle of a diving trip the battery may die and I won't be left without a computer. Where can I send for service? Has anyone tried to replace the battery?

I own the Suunto D9 and have had the battery replaced twice so far. The computer had to be sent back to the local distributor for battery replacement and pressure tested at the cost of over $80 aussie dollars. I had the same issue with replacing my D9's battery before a trip to PNG. I knew it was getting close to run out so I sent it in anyway for a new battery. It was good to know that on a big trip you have a brand new battery.

Thats why I like the Suunto puck style as you can change the $5 coin battery yourself basically anywhere.

Regards Mark

cbope
02-19-2009, 13:35
Not sure what the current AUD exchange rate is, but WOW. I pay 20 eur (about 25 USD) to have the battery in my D6 changed at my LDS and they also pressure test it afterwards. Usually while I wait.

I own the Suunto D9 and have had the battery replaced twice so far. The computer had to be sent back to the local distributor for battery replacement and pressure tested at the cost of over $80 aussie dollars. I had the same issue with replacing my D9's battery before a trip to PNG. I knew it was getting close to run out so I sent it in anyway for a new battery. It was good to know that on a big trip you have a brand new battery.

Thats why I like the Suunto puck style as you can change the $5 coin battery yourself basically anywhere.

Regards Mark

Aussie
02-22-2009, 01:54
Not sure what the current AUD exchange rate is, but WOW. I pay 20 eur (about 25 USD) to have the battery in my D6 changed at my LDS and they also pressure test it afterwards. Usually while I wait.

Regards Mark

Welcome to Australia where everything with diving is double the price. $80aud is about 40 euro. This is why I buy alot of gear from St as its so cheap compared to home prices.

Mark

Travelnsj
02-24-2009, 09:12
I have a D9 and I am leaving for Palau and the Philippines tomorrow....Just turned it on....LOW BATTERY...called my local LDS.....they have to send it in and just for a battery replacement it is about $45 for an 0 ring replacements and software update around $150.....since I do not have time to send in before I go...they said it will last about 15 dives set on 20 second sampling....so I will depend on my Cobra....

Check you computer a Month before you leave on a trip!!!!

Chocoholic
02-24-2009, 19:52
I did a short notice trip to Cabo and checked my computer time settings three days before and got a low battery notice. I couldn't figure out how to get the thing out of the wrist mount so I just took it to the dive shop here and they replaced it while I waited. It cost $45 bucks since they have a corner on the market and had to replace the o ring. I have a Suunto Vyper and I had extra batteries for it too.

Chocoholic
02-24-2009, 19:53
My computer Vyper Suunto lasted three and a half years on the original battery.