PDA

View Full Version : tiping cozumel

lund0485
01-18-2009, 07:19
If a two tank boat dive is going to cost me around 70 USD and I will be doing 6 trips with the same operator, but not necessarily the same DM and captain how much are people tipping and how often.

Jethroish
01-18-2009, 09:14
I may be wrong, but I think tips are split up between the crews. If you have a private DM, it might be different.
At the risk of being call cheap (but I do not think it is cheap), I tip $20 for my wife and myself on a 2 tank trip ($5 per tank).

awap
01-18-2009, 09:26
I agree on $5 per tank. A bit more if something about the service was really special.

snagel
01-18-2009, 09:31
I've always held to the "$5 per tank" as a guide. I've thrown in extra when gotten better service or they went beyond expectations. I've never stiffed anybody below the $5 rule, just don't use them again.

Snagel

fireflock
01-18-2009, 10:56
Some people tip everyday. I do this, because I think it means better feedback for good or bad service. Others don't like to fuss with money everyday and tip at the end of the trip.

Most shops split tips.

chicken
01-18-2009, 11:06
I normally tip $10-$20 per trip based on service and quality of dive site. Most of my Cancun and Cozumel trips have been $20 dives!

SynCitizen
01-18-2009, 12:43
Was just there in dec. and stuck with the 5$ tank rule. If service had been poor the tips would have reflected that but as it was, the service was outstanding.
I would tip daily as the boat crews often change up slightly.

ParrotheadDiver
01-19-2009, 06:33
Yep...five bucks per tank is standard...tipping daily is standard....exceptional service I tip more :smiley20:

rayaa3
01-19-2009, 18:49
I agree 5$ per tank, unless someone did something extra for you (and there are some great folks there who will).

I am curious about $70 for a 2 tank trip, that sounds a little high to me, unless it includes equipment rental.

For that many days, I would expect no more than 60.00...again, unless it included bc/reg/computer/wetsuit.

I also tip every day, because the boat/captain/crew may be different daily, and frankly because I think alot of folks in Mexico live hand to mouth, and an extra 10 bucks in someone's pocket today might make all the difference. They always earn it. It's funny, I think there's much more service in Mexico diving, than US diving, but in the US, I usually hear the customary tip is more.

Mexico diving - if you let them they'll setup your equipment (prefer to do my own), they'll take your bc/weights from you before you exit the water, they'll crack open your soda, take your trash, and fetch you another one before you blink. Yeah, 10 bucks is fine for 2 tanks.

US diving - they'll point to the cooler

Mileage varies, but in Mexico, I've never had an outfit NOT earn a tip.

Jethroish
01-20-2009, 08:16
I am curious about $70 for a 2 tank trip, that sounds a little high to me, unless it includes equipment rental.

For that many days, I would expect no more than 60.00...again, unless it included bc/reg/computer/wetsuit.

I think right around $70 for a 2 tank dive is becoming the norm. Some ops will give discounts if you pay for multiple dives up front
We are going the last week of Feb and getting a 10% discount for all diving up front.

TRACI
01-20-2009, 11:15
I tip daily .......$5 per tank, $5 to the boat captain and $5 to the guy that handles the tanks and weights at the dock. The the last day I tip a little more since we usually keep the same DM and boat captain all week.

rayaa3
01-21-2009, 05:26
Sometimes paying with cash also yeilds a discount, guess I am just lucky, I'm going in February and paying 60 with papa hogs...

Papa Hogs Scuba Emporium of Cozumel - Mexico (http://www.papahogs.com)

TRACI
01-21-2009, 08:11
Sometimes paying with cash also yeilds a discount, guess I am just lucky, I'm going in February and paying 60 with papa hogs...

Papa Hogs Scuba Emporium of Cozumel - Mexico (http://www.papahogs.com)

Papa Hogs always give a cash discount. We always dive with them. In November, it was $54 for 3 + days of diving.

Jethroish
01-21-2009, 19:46
We are diving with Dive Paradise in Feb and paying $62 for a 2 tank dive.

firstdive2005
02-16-2009, 12:55
Just got back from 3 weeks of blessed diving. I pulled money out of the money machine so I did not have dollars. I gave the captain 100pesos daily. He divides later. I dove with Scubamaus' dive team, they are located below Papa Hogs Cafe. Opal gave me a deal at 55usd /2tank dive. They did other things that where extra also. Hanging out at the shop there I bought the guys a couple packs of sol also a couple of times. When I left I gave some things away to the guys I dove with. Mainly extra clothing that I did not use and probably wont. It helps me trim my bags for next time. Shorts only, 5 shirts. lol. I wish you a great dive time.

TRACI
02-16-2009, 14:00
Just got back from 3 weeks of blessed diving. I pulled money out of the money machine so I did not have dollars. I gave the captain 100pesos daily. He divides later. I dove with Scubamaus' dive team, they are located below Papa Hogs Cafe. Opal gave me a deal at 55usd /2tank dive. They did other things that where extra also. Hanging out at the shop there I bought the guys a couple packs of sol also a couple of times. When I left I gave some things away to the guys I dove with. Mainly extra clothing that I did not use and probably wont. It helps me trim my bags for next time. Shorts only, 5 shirts. lol. I wish you a great dive time.

If Monkey was your DM, I bet you bought him alot of Sol before your trip was over:smiley36:

firstdive2005
02-16-2009, 23:41
If Monkey was your DM, I bet you bought him alot of Sol before your trip was over:smiley36:[/quote]
U know it. He was dm once, but the beers where quickly devoured by all in the hot mexican sun. He is a great critter spotter also.

TRACI
02-17-2009, 07:41
I have done alot of diving with Monkey when he worked for Papa Hogs. He can always spot the critters out.

whitetip
02-20-2009, 12:11
I have to agree with the group--you tip based on the service received. I have never received poor service when diving, whether it be in Cozumel, Honduras, or Hawaii. However, Hawaii dive ops were the only ones that made a point to announce that they had a TIP jar and any and all tips would be appreciated.

obrules15
02-21-2009, 07:36
I tip $5 PER tank per day as a standard and more or less depending on the service. I would tip on a day to day basis as your DM's change.

Scuba Bear
02-21-2009, 19:47
$20 for wife and I for 2 tank dives. I usually give a little more at the end of the trip to the divemaster. Just got back and dove with Delmar Aquatics - Rene divemaster has built-in critter radar. I always tip him a bit more. He is the best I have seen in my last several trips.

SYOTABUCS
02-28-2009, 08:09
I agree 5$ per tank, unless someone did something extra for you (and there are some great folks there who will).

I also tip every day, because the boat/captain/crew may be different daily, and frankly because I think alot of folks in Mexico live hand to mouth, and an extra 10 bucks in someone's pocket today might make all the difference. They always earn it. It's funny, I think there's much more service in Mexico diving, than US diving, but in the US, I usually hear the customary tip is more.

Mexico diving - if you let them they'll setup your equipment (prefer to do my own), they'll take your bc/weights from you before you exit the water, they'll crack open your soda, take your trash, and fetch you another one before you blink. Yeah, 10 bucks is fine for 2 tanks.

US diving - they'll point to the cooler

Mileage varies, but in Mexico, I've never had an outfit NOT earn a tip.

In the Keys they only POINT to the ocean also.

rayaa3
02-28-2009, 09:42
LOL - that's consistent with what I hear.