PDA

View Full Version : Table Rock Lake Report

skdvr
08-20-2007, 10:33
Well I hit Table Rock this weekend and the weather actually held out and we got 4 dives in on Sat and 1 on Sun. All in all I was happy with the conditions. They could have been better, but I have seen worse. The surface was about 85* and about 10 ft of vis until you hit about 15 ft. From 15ft to about 30ft the vis was pretty bad I would say about 4ft. Once you got below 30 the temp started dropping and the vis opened up. The vis at breezy point below 30ft was about 20ft, and the temp was 55*.

We also hit the Zebulon Pike and the vis there was about 8 - 10ft and 54* at 80ft.

We had a good time doing the Advanced course down there. I am glad that we decided to go there instead of going to Mermet.

I hope that everyone else had a good weekend...

Phil

Soonerwink
08-20-2007, 14:54
I have never dove Table Rock, is there some decent shore diving on it with easy access?

skdvr
08-20-2007, 15:17
Yes there is. I have personally never dove it but everyone talks about Dewey Short and the Dam. They are very close to each other and good diving from what I hear. If you ever have the chance go up there and give it a shot. There are a few Dive shops around the lake as well that you can charter a boat with.

Phil

cummings66
08-20-2007, 18:57
Dewy Short is a pretty nice dive spot, very popular so the visibility at times can get low. If it's really clear and all of a sudden gets silty look around and odds are you're near a new diver.

The dams probably 2 or 3 hundred yards away so you've got to have pretty good air consumption to reach it and return to the wood steps. The concrete steps are closer and not as much of a challenge.

jeraldjcook
08-22-2007, 18:44
Beware the people fishing by the dam!!! I swear they cast at air bubbles.

cummings66
08-23-2007, 16:46
I'll tell you a funny story about that. I was diving with my buddy up close to shore and at some point I noticed he was hooked, I cut the line and we continued on. But for some unknown distance he was dragging this line, didn't seem to slow him down any. When we got back up we see this kid and wondered if he was telling the story of a fish this big that got away. We kind of laughed about it.

The funny thing, this dive we did our wetsuits, normally we use drysuits. That wouldn't have been too funny.