PDA

View Full Version : Octo-z and miflex hose question

Byte Me
01-19-2009, 09:16
I use and very much like the Octo-z. Recently wanted to swap in a Miflex hose for the std rubber hose for flexibility reasons. When I ordered I was told I'd need an adapter so the miflex inflater hose could connect to the Octo-z.

I've recently been told that this adapter won't allow enough air flow for breathing and was designed for bench testing?!? I was also informed that on a "high flow" inflater hose you could screw off the quick disconnect valve that doesn't impead airflow like a standard inflater valve or this adapter will.

So, now I'm on a quest to remedy the situation I've got by picking up one of these "high flow" screw in adapters, but before doing so I wanted to check in w/ Zeagle and find out what percentage of this is true and if I can get this high flow adapter from Scuba Toys or Zeagle directly.

Thanks!

CompuDude
01-21-2009, 12:59
I call BS. I've read several reports of people using Miflex hoses with Octo-Z/Air2/SS1-type regs, and have had no problems with them.

Phil at DiveSports was the first one to import the Miflex hoses and probably knows more about them than anyone else... give him a call and I'm sure he can answer your question. For that matter, the folks at ScubaToys probably can, also.

Byte Me
01-22-2009, 14:29
talked to both Scuba toys and Phil on this. The adapter that I originally got with the miflex inflater hose does restrict airflow - about 75%!! And is not recommended for use other than bench testing. So they're letting me return the hose and adapter. I then talked to Phil to find out which of the reg hose adapters I need. For the OctoZ you need Regulator Hose to Oceanic Air XS Inflator (http://www.divesports.com/Adapter-Reg-Hose-to-Oceanic-Air-XS-Inflator-p/is-ho-0101.htm) and the 26" regulator miflex hose. Shipped today so I'm all set.

CompuDude
01-22-2009, 14:41
talked to both Scuba toys and Phil on this. The adapter that I originally got with the miflex inflater hose does restrict airflow - about 75%!! And is not recommended for use other than bench testing. So they're letting me return the hose and adapter. I then talked to Phil to find out which of the reg hose adapters I need. For the OctoZ you need Regulator Hose to Oceanic Air XS Inflator (http://www.divesports.com/Adapter-Reg-Hose-to-Oceanic-Air-XS-Inflator-p/is-ho-0101.htm) and the 26" regulator miflex hose. Shipped today so I'm all set.

Ah, ok, so fully possible, but simply a question of having the right adapter. Makes sense. Good to know there is a wrong adapter (that still fits), actually.

Byte Me
01-22-2009, 15:12
Ah, ok, so fully possible, but simply a question of having the right adapter. Makes sense. Good to know there is a wrong adapter (that still fits), actually.

No doubt - and one that restricts airflow by 75% at that! I wonder who it was I talked to originally at ST when I ordered the stuff - hope they now know NOT to suggest this setup.

Byte Me
01-26-2009, 06:35
Update - the adapter noted above, reg hose to Oceanic AirXS DOES NOT WORK. I contacted Zeagle who gave me the correct information. The part number is 342-7241 and your Zeagle dealer can order it for you. It will fit on the end of any standard Scuba hose and will add about 1.8” to the overall length.

russp
03-17-2009, 14:04
Update - the adapter noted above, reg hose to Oceanic AirXS DOES NOT WORK. I contacted Zeagle who gave me the correct information. The part number is 342-7241 and your Zeagle dealer can order it for you. It will fit on the end of any standard Scuba hose and will add about 1.8 to the overall length.

Have you had a chance to install and dive with the new adaptor? Do you notice a difference with the miflex hose?

Byte Me
03-17-2009, 15:07
Not yet, the part that I'm waiting for (the adapter) is coming with my Fusion drysuit from Scuba Toys. I hope to have it here before my Roatan trip and will report back once it's gotten wet!

Byte Me
04-06-2009, 15:26
OK, the part has finally arrived! And, it works perfectly, as advertised. Screwed right into the miflex hose and connects exactly to the QD on the Octo-z.

I'll be diving the heck out of it starting Sunday down at CCV in Roatan!! I CANNOT WAIT!