PDA

View Full Version : Hoseless or No???

mrm777
01-19-2009, 17:21
Tempted...........but don't dive with or know anyone whose used a hoseless 'puter.

Yea or nay???

ArmyDiver
01-19-2009, 17:37
A couple people in my dive club have them. One has the Datamask and likes it a lot. The biggest problems I've heard/read about them is the occassional loss of signal. It usually comes back within seconds though so its not the end of the world. A couple people have accidently locked them by not paying attention to their ascent rates or silly things like pushing the wrong button at the wrong time and locking it in "guage" mode. Stuff like that.

This is all second hand info as I have never personally used an AI wrist mount. I've been reading up on them as of late though and plan on puchasing the VT3 from Oceanic. I'll let you know how it works out.

P.S. Does anyone know if they're still doing the 200 dollar sale on the oceanic AI computers? I hope I didn't miss out on that deal.

medic001918
01-19-2009, 18:03
I don't use an integrated computer at all. I prefer a regular SPG. It's reliable and always works. No need to worry about if it's going to find it's signal or if the battery is going to die. I like to use my computer simply as a set of gages. I can still function safely without it in the event of a failure and one of the most critical pieces of information to know is how much air you have.

Shane

Diver Kat
01-19-2009, 18:28
DH & I both have the Oceanic Atom. Got them this summer and have 36 dives each on them so far. We haven't had any problems. I really liked getting rid of the hose. (I also use an Octo Z inflater combo, so no Octo hose either.)

Travman
01-19-2009, 18:57
A friend used one for the first time on Sunday. It worked well once he got it figured out. If you have a regular buddy and you both get the same type you can also check each others air pressure from your computer.
I'll put one on my wish list, but at the moment my hose AI computer works great and has heaps of info.

rawalker
01-19-2009, 19:27
I dive with an Oceanic Atom 2.0 and my wife uses my VT3 both are great wireless AI computers. Signal loss for a second or two isn't a major problem unless you are at deeper depths and cutting it close with your gas supply. If you should happen to loose sync completely the prudent thing to do is thumb the dive. You and your buddy can make a normal accent and then fix the problem. If it can't be fixed a backup SPG can be added to the reg set and you can continue diving getting the pressure reading from the SPG and realizing that feature like dive time and air time remaining won't work without bottle pressure readings.

cummings66
01-19-2009, 20:25
I've used one for a couple years now and love them. I also have the old SPG on standby just in case. I have once had it lose sync for an entire days diving for some reason. Batteries said they were good, but I changed them and have never had a problem since. I change them once a year now, even if they still show good.

DMWiz
01-20-2009, 07:18
I dove a VT3 recently and was pleasantly surprised, If I were able to find an inexpensive, used Vytec DS with a transmitter I would probably get it.

Zenagirl
01-20-2009, 07:27
My husband and I just recently switched from hosed AI computers to hoseless VT3s and absolutely LOVE THEM! We both really love having lost a hose on our rigs and found them super easy to use. Mine lost sync once during a dive, but it re-sync'ed within 5 seconds, and since I pretty much always know how much air I have anyway, it wasn't a big deal at all.

CODMAN
01-20-2009, 08:21
Well it's definetly a gadget... But hey, gadgets can be cool to have!:smiley2: Personaly, I don't find it's a usefull enough (for me) gadget to warrant the expense of buying a new computer. My air readings don't need to be on my wrist since I don't check it as often as my depth or ascent rate (which I love having on my wrist computer). So my SPG is more than enough for me. But that's for you to consider; do you want this gadget and will it's advantages be worth it to you (air consumption calculation, 1 hose less, etc..)? That's for you to decide...

Personally if I had one I would still leave my SPG in place to double check from time to time. As I do with my depth gauge to confirm my computer reading. So as you can see I would not be getting the full advantages of the Wireless and it's not worth the $$ to me... but to each his/her own!:smiley20:

CODMAN

3rdEye
01-20-2009, 08:35
the VT3 is sweet...

that being said, if you decide not to go hoseless, I am selling an Aeris Atmos AI that has about 50 dives on it.

BSea
01-20-2009, 09:47
I dove a VT3 recently and was pleasantly surprised, If I were able to find an inexpensive, used Vytec DS with a transmitter I would probably get it.Just curious why you'd go with the Vytek DS over the VT3 if you liked the VT3. The Vytek has to search/sync with the transmitter before each dive. Meaning it will sync with any compatible transmitter. Where as the VT3 is programmed to a particular transmitter (or multiple transmitters up to 3). The VT3 is also less expensive. Other than an option for a programmed deep stop ( THE DS in the name ), they do about the same thing, and manually figuring a deep stop is simple. Look at your max depth & stop half way to the surface for 1 minute. That's not really worth the extra money or complexity of the Vytek.

I had The Vytek DS for about 6 months & sold it. I had several dives where it didn't sync, so it was fortunate that I had a SPG as a backup. I now use a VT3 and couldn't be happier. It hasn't lost sync yet (but not many dives on it yet).

Again, just curious as to why your preference for the Vytek.

EDIT: I actually have the Aeris T3. I always confuse the VT3 & T3 since they are just about identical, and the names are similar.

Navy OnStar
01-20-2009, 10:49
I have a Vytec DS and love it. It takes only seconds to Sync with my Transmitter and having everything available on my wrist (when the vis is high enough for me to see it) is Awesome! I do have a backup SPG that I may check once a day to confirm accuracy but have never found any discrepancy between the two. If my Computer dies/loses signal/falls off my arm/gets eaten by shark/etc. I have the back up SPG and my buddy's depth guage to finish the dive. I look at my computer a hell of a lot more on my wrist than I ever did before I got it. Also, I have about 50 dives on it and it has never lost sync.

divingbuddy
01-20-2009, 11:13
Another happy user of the Vytec DS with transmitter. No problems at all.

Since I regularly monitor my pressure, should the computer or transmitter crap out (hasn't yet after over 200 dives), then I simply end the dive and ascend safely with my buddy. If you feel more 'comfortable' with an SPG as well, go ahead.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

BSea
01-20-2009, 11:29
I have a Vytec DS and love it. It takes only seconds to Sync with my Transmitter and having everything available on my wrist (when the vis is high enough for me to see it) is Awesome! I do have a backup SPG that I may check once a day to confirm accuracy but have never found any discrepancy between the two. If my Computer dies/loses signal/falls off my arm/gets eaten by shark/etc. I have the back up SPG and my buddy's depth guage to finish the dive. I look at my computer a hell of a lot more on my wrist than I ever did before I got it. Also, I have about 50 dives on it and it has never lost sync.

Another happy user of the Vytec DS with transmitter. No problems at all.

Since I regularly monitor my pressure, should the computer or transmitter crap out (hasn't yet after over 200 dives), then I simply end the dive and ascend safely with my buddy. If you feel more 'comfortable' with an SPG as well, go ahead.

Just my two cents...Cheers!
Don't get me wrong, I think the Vytek DS is a great computer. My experience wasn't typical, and I think it boiled down to a battery problem. But I was wondering why someone would try a VT3 (a like it), and decide to buy a Vytec instead. I know there must be a reason, but it's not obvious to me.

DMWiz
01-20-2009, 11:37

I already have a Vyper and a Cobra, I would get rid of the Cobra and use the Vytec. It wouldn't make sense for me to have a different make of computer and replace cables software etc. My main desktop computer is a MacBook and like the the software I currently use, I know the developer and he's doing awesome work on it... In the future it may support Oceanic computers, but currently it doesn't. I also like the larger display of the Vyper/Vytec over the VT3 but that's not such a big deal.

I like the Suunto computers and have nothing against Oceanic/Aeris computers, now that there's a wrist mount for the VT3:smiley2::smiley20:

BSea
01-20-2009, 11:44

I already have a Vyper and a Cobra, I would get rid of the Cobra and use the Vytec. It wouldn't make sense for me to have a different make of computer and replace cables software etc. My main desktop computer is a MacBook and like the the software I currently use, I know the developer and he's doing awesome work on it... In the future it may support Oceanic computers, but currently it doesn't. I also like the larger display of the Vyper/Vytec over the VT3 but that's not such a big deal.

I like the Suunto computers and have nothing against Oceanic/Aeris computers, now that there's a wrist mount for the VT3:smiley2::smiley20:I thought that might be the reason. I found the Vytec a little complicated since my previous computer was oceanic. But that was my problem, not something with the computer. I just didn't use it long enough for it to become 2nd nature. There's a wrist mount? Like the DSS mount for the Vytec? I'm going to look now!!!

EDIT: Just Ordered it!

MSilvia
01-20-2009, 11:50
IMHO hoseless or not depends on your priorities. If rock solid reliability and low maintainence means more to you than convenience or "coolness", you probably don't want one. If you don't mind an occasional battery change (and some small risk of having to abort a dive due to AI failure) if it means you get to have a neat gadget and one less hose, an AI computer may be for you.

DMWiz
01-20-2009, 12:12
I found the Vytec a little complicated since my previous computer was oceanic. But that was my problem, not something with the computer. I just didn't use it long enough for it to become 2nd nature. There's a wrist mount? Like the DSS mount for the Vytec? I'm going to look now!!!

It's funny that you mention that, I had the same problem but reversed. I'm so used to the suunto menus that getting around on the Oceanic computers was more complicated to me.

There's a really neat thread on SB that started as a petition for a VT3 boot and end ups with Tobin making one... It's really cool to see that kind of support and access to a developer. Do a search for it!

BSea
01-20-2009, 12:17
I found the Vytec a little complicated since my previous computer was oceanic. But that was my problem, not something with the computer. I just didn't use it long enough for it to become 2nd nature. There's a wrist mount? Like the DSS mount for the Vytec? I'm going to look now!!!

It's funny that you mention that, I had the same problem but reversed. I'm so used to the suunto menus that getting around on the Oceanic computers was more complicated to me.

There's a really neat thread on SB that started as a petition for a VT3 boot and end ups with Tobin making one... It's really cool to see that kind of support and access to a developer. Do a search for it! I will. thanks.

To me that was the only draw back to VT3/T3 was no mount from DSS.

3rdEye
01-20-2009, 12:23
oh cool, I didn't know they finally put out one for the VT3....sweet!

DMWiz
01-20-2009, 12:42
To me that was the only draw back to VT3/T3 was no mount from DSS.

Ditto, no longer an issue however!:smiley20:

RoyN
01-20-2009, 13:45
I also have the VT3 and what I do is have an SPG on as well because I've had the link lost sometimes when taking pictures. Other then that, I never had a big lost link. And pretty soon I'll have the deco bottle with a transmitter too.

CompuDude
01-21-2009, 14:24
I like my wireless AI but I dive with a backup SPG. Losing sync doesn't worry me in the slightest since I always have the SPG. I don't get the whole "OMG one less hose!" argument, but I do like the convenience and additional download data the AI computers give. Just don't become dependent on the computer's WAG (wilda**guess) as to how long your gas will last, because often it's very wrong, since it can't predict the future (air shares, different depths, harder breathing against a current, etc.).

WAI is a LOT more money, though. I had the money. I did not have to compromise on my funds for training (which would often benefit newer divers a LOT more than a WAI computer) in order to buy it. So YMMV. Do I like it? Sure. Do I recommend it to others? Rarely, but each person has to make their own decisions.

shockere85
01-21-2009, 14:41
How many dives could a use computer see, before it is labeled to many? And really should consider buying another piece of equipment?

CompuDude
01-21-2009, 15:18
How many dives could a use computer see, before it is labeled to many? And really should consider buying another piece of equipment?

And again, this time in English? :smiley5:

BSea
01-21-2009, 15:57
How many dives could a use computer see, before it is labeled to many? And really should consider buying another piece of equipment?Are you asking "Does it wear out?" If that's the case, then as long as it displays correct data then it's ok to use. My old computer was over 8 years old before it was stolen. Still going strong at the time. I was planning on changing to a wrist computer from a AI console. But that was personal preference, not because my old computer was obsolete.

Byte Me
01-21-2009, 16:18
I went hoseless with my first reg/bc/computer set up and love it. Up to having my own gear I always had used a standard SPG. It was OK but the opportunity to lose a hose and something else hanging off you combined with the ease of looking at your wrist computer to get all needed info was just too much to pass up.

I bought the VT3 from Oceanic and really really like it. I've got a grand total of two hoses coming off my 1st stage - one to my 2nd stage and one to my octo/inflator Octo-Z. Very clean, very streamlined!

I was going to get a small SPG "just in case" but if the computer fails you're pretty much scrapping the dive anyway right? So I didn't bother. I've not had any issue with losing contact with the sending unit either.

Got the VT3 & Delta IV / FDX10 from scubatoys and they gave me a really nice price on them as well.

I did modify the VT3 cutting the wrist strap off leaving enough to bungee to my wrist rather than having a strap flapping around. I've since gotten the DSS boot as well. Well worth the $20ish.

Rainer
01-21-2009, 16:23
I don't get it.

:)

BSea
01-21-2009, 16:27
I bought the VT3 from Oceanic and really really like it. I've got a grand total of two hoses coming off my 1st stage - one to my 2nd stage and one to my octo/inflator Octo-Z. Very clean, very streamlined!

I was going to get a small SPG "just in case" but if the computer fails you're pretty much scrapping the dive anyway right? So I didn't bother. I've not had any issue with losing contact with the sending unit either.If you only lose sync and you have a SPG then you don't have to scrape the dive. Now I get the idea of less hoses. I used to do that myself with the octo inflator thing. But 1 hose that you never use (SPG) if everything goes ok really doesn't affect your dive unless you need it.

Also, I use 2 computers on some trips in case 1 fails. On a flower gardens trip, I saw someone who's computer died. He was done for the day. It wasn't me, but after that incident I decided it never was going to be me.

CompuDude
01-21-2009, 16:37
I went hoseless with my first reg/bc/computer set up and love it. Up to having my own gear I always had used a standard SPG. It was OK but the opportunity to lose a hose and something else hanging off you combined with the ease of looking at your wrist computer to get all needed info was just too much to pass up.

I was going to get a small SPG "just in case" but if the computer fails you're pretty much scrapping the dive anyway right? So I didn't bother. I've not had any issue with losing contact with the sending unit either.

Where is the advantage in losing a hose, exactly? I have yet to be remotely convinced that losing one SPG hose (especially a short 22" bare SPG, clipped off to the waist) can possibly have ANY meaningful amount of hydrodynamic streamlining, other than from a purely visual standpoint. (and again, see 22" bare SPG clipped off) So "clean", I suppose (for what that's worth), but streamlined?

As for calling the dive, I have a backup timing device and depth gauge (plus the SPG), so my computer (let alone just the wireless link to air pressure) could die completely and there would be no need whatsoever to call the dive in the majority of cases.

PlatypusMan
01-21-2009, 16:43

And again, this time in English? :smiley5:

Graduate, Yoda School of English, you are not? :smiley36:

PPM

Rainer
01-21-2009, 16:44
I also don't get the "lose a hose" thing. Doesn't make any sense.

I don't get the wireless thing, either. Just how often are you guys checking your gas supply? Personally, I think wireless gauges keep people from learning to estimate their reserves. Being able to track your gas supply without ANY gauge is a useful tool. It's a lot harder, however, to learn when you're constantly staring at your pressure on your wrist.

In any case, as CD mentioned, if AI is going to take money away from better training, at least reconsider. If you're loaded and just need a toy, I don't really care.

Byte Me
01-21-2009, 16:48
I've also recently picked up a backup timing and depth gauge so in light of having that picking up a small SPG is back on the list of things to get exactly for that reason - I wouldn't have to call the dive.

As for the "extra" hose in the beginning it was more of a "clean" (which is what I meant by streamlined) thing left over from before I had my own stuff and used unfamiliar rental gear. Now that I'm into my own stuff, am very comfortable in it and know what's where adding the SPG wouldn't be an issue. I agree with you on the lack of meaningful hydro savings by losing a hose!!

mrm777
01-21-2009, 18:34
Good insights.....well taken in view that I'm in the market for a computer. Next thing to consider will be how much will technology advance and how soon to bring the price down.

CompuDude
01-21-2009, 18:40
Good insights.....well taken in view that I'm in the market for a computer. Next thing to consider will be how much will technology advance and how soon to bring the price down.

It's still a niche market and technology isn't doing anything especially drastic any time soon. I wouldn't hold my breath for dramatic price changes any time soon, aside from the usual occasional sales at individual shops.

BSea
01-21-2009, 19:30
I don't get the wireless thing, either. Just how often are you guys checking your gas supply? Personally, I think wireless gauges keep people from learning to estimate their reserves. Being able to track your gas supply without ANY gauge is a useful tool. It's a lot harder, however, to learn when you're constantly staring at your pressure on your wrist.

In any case, as CD mentioned, if AI is going to take money away from better training, at least reconsider. If you're loaded and just need a toy, I don't really care.It's not that we constantly check our gas supply, but rather that everything is in 1 place. At least that's my feeling.

And I agree that it isn't essential but a luxury. And probably shouldn't be high on your list of "Must Have" gear.

LRDWILDER
02-11-2009, 06:05
I'm another one with a couple of VT3...done a bunch of dives on them and never once lost signal...The thing is great!

Straegen
02-11-2009, 10:23
I would like to have a wireless setup simply for the cool factor, but it fell way down on my have to have list so I opted out and just went with the simple computer (Puck), compass (Suunto) and SPG (Oxycheq SPG). I carry a simple dive watch as a backup.

mp4
02-12-2009, 21:10
I handed my cobra down to my wife and upgraded to the Vytec DS - I only had trouble once and it was because I went two years without changing my transmitter batteries....I didn't abort the dive because I'm very comfortable with my gas consumption and knew the dive I planned wasn't going to get me even close to being in trouble. I personally like the AI computers and wanted to go to a wrist mount computer so the DS was the next choice for me - it's just the next step technology has to offer.

AndyDragon
02-16-2009, 12:03
I like diving with a hoseless AI computer because it allows me to keep a brass & glass SPG as my backup. Redundancy with life support gear is always a good thing...specially when it doesn't introduce much clutter.

Shenanigan
02-16-2009, 21:25
My "hose" pressure gage got "hosed" on my last trip (leakage), but my hoseless is still working fine! Gotta get to ST to replace my "backup" next weekend!