PDA

View Full Version : Oh NO! What did I DO?

Mtrewyn
01-19-2009, 19:45
I got back home from a pool dive, and was rinsing my gear in the bath (It's 30 deg outside) got everything dunked good rinsed out well and put away, well I grabbed my reg out of the bag and dunked it in the bath, and noticed that it looked funny well..... as I looked at it the dust cap was not on it my first stage was OPEN to the water OH $*%@ !!:smiley11: well it was only in the water for a split second.

What do I do?? :smiley5:I was testing it after picking it up from yearly service...

Help!!

Do I need to take it back for another service I really hope not, Do I leave it open to the air for a while?

Any help would be great..

FishFood
01-19-2009, 19:48
Take it inside and let it dry out over night with the cap off and call it a day.

ReefHound
01-19-2009, 20:21
If you have access to a tank, hook the regs up to a tank, preferably remove the HP hose and cap it, and slowly run some dry compressed air through it. Breath it or purge slowly and intermittently.

Or take it back to the shop and explain what happened. The regs should not need complete service, just an inspection. They may not charge you at all.

cummings66
01-19-2009, 21:23
One thing you don't want to do is to put it on a cylinder with the SPG hooked up. If you do, and there is water that got into it you will have water in the SPG. That's why you remove it and blow things out.

For what it's worth, I don't think you hurt it and that a good drying out will be fine.

Mtrewyn
01-19-2009, 21:58
Right now I have it hanging first down hoses up, dust cap off. I figure any water will run down the hose into the first stage and out where it got in, I don't know if it is truly going to help, but I guess it cannot hurt right? I'll talk to one of the guys at my shop and see what they think.

FishFood
01-19-2009, 22:02
I'll talk to one of the guys at my shop and see what they think.

There's really no need. Let it dry overnight and cap it in the morning.

Drewskey
01-19-2009, 22:24
One thing you don't want to do is to put it on a cylinder with the SPG hooked up. If you do, and there is water that got into it you will have water in the SPG. That's why you remove it and blow things out.

For what it's worth, I don't think you hurt it and that a good drying out will be fine.

Excellent information! This is like the PSA "The more you know."

cummings66
01-20-2009, 13:15
After it hangs for a while, I'd pull the SPG, second stages and hook it to a cylinder and blow the hoses out. Then attach the things you took off and purge the second stages good, then consider it done.

At that point you should be good to go, just pay attention to things and if there's doubt take it in.

kjvander
01-22-2009, 10:23
thanks guys...putting this one in my bank of information.