PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your Camera gear?

JCAT
01-20-2009, 06:10
Ever seen a camera add that is too good to be true?

Here's a link that shows you who (and AKAs) your buying from, at least in the NY area.

Always worth a look if your buying over the internet and are unsure of who your doing business with.

Brooklyn Camera/Electronic Dealer StoreFronts (http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/#active)

cheers

Sansho
01-20-2009, 06:16
Interesting link. Amazon or B&H Photo. While there are probably some reputable dealers in NYC, B&H is the only one I buy from and can recommend. B&H is up front about what is gray market and what is not, unlike some others.

acamato
01-20-2009, 07:06
If you come across a questionable retailer check resellerratings.com.

I use B&H, Adorama or Beach Camera (AKA buydig.com).

Skred
01-20-2009, 07:56
Interesting stuff, JCAT.

While I do always look for the best price, I tend to do so while staying pretty much on the beaten path when shopping for anything on the web. Don't mind paying a few more bucks for the peace of mind that comes with dealing with a reputable site rather than feeling like I'm buying out of the trunk of a '68 Chevy in a back alley.

B&H, Reef Photo and local vendors for me.

thesmoothdome
01-20-2009, 09:02
B&H, Adorama (which seems to be owned by the same folks as LP), or Buydig. Avoid Broadway Photo and all their pseudonyms like the plague.

If you need help with U/W camera purchases, Marine Visions has great customer service. I've also heard good things about Backscatter and Reef Photo.

JCAT
01-20-2009, 09:29
Yes, I like Reef Photo as well. Very knowledgeable and helpful people.

I saw the Link I posted above at wetpixel and thought it would be a good reference for all.

I think the guy who owns the site must have been burned seriously at one time, or he just like riding his bike and taking pictures. Not sure which, but he he put some time into research and investigation.

gNats
01-20-2009, 11:13
Don't buy from 1-stop Photo.

Google their name - you will find all sorts of blogs regarding them doing bait and switch tactics.

The same happened to me. I called for a Canon lens that was advertised on the website at a price too good to be true. During the conversation he asked me some generic questions and the next thing I know my package arrives with a lens that is Canon compatible. Not a Canon lens. After reviewing the blogs, I realized that I did mistakenly agree to the non-Canon lens, through my own fault.

Trying to get a refund at that point was like pulling teeth from a ticked off crocodile.

I have purchased from B&H and Adorama and would do so again. I did have an issue with my Adorama order and their customer service worked diligently to fix my problem.

Helen Oster
01-20-2009, 14:57
"Adorama</SPAN> (which seems to be owned by the same folks as LP" - it is indeed
"I did have an issue with my Adorama order and their customer service worked diligently to fix my problem"

Thanks for the feedback re: Adorama Camera- very much appreciated!

However, if you ever have a query or concern regarding Adorama or AdoramaPix, please don't hesitate to contact me directly: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
www.adoramacamera.com (http://www.adoramacamera.com/)

thor
01-20-2009, 15:55
Another vote for B&H.

rawalker
01-20-2009, 15:57
I have some new gear in the mail.
I went through Amazon and Got my camera from Adorama and the housing from Antonline. I have purchased directly from Adorama before as well as B&H. I used to live in NY and also have shopped at Willowby camera a very old and well respected store in NY.

hooligan
01-20-2009, 17:38
Amazon, Adorama, B&H, Abe's of Maine and Ritz have all done me right with my camera gear. AdoramaPix does an amazing job for picture printing. I had them do some large prints (16x20) and they were awesome.

thesmoothdome
01-21-2009, 08:19
"Adorama</SPAN> (which seems to be owned by the same folks as LP" - it is indeed
"I did have an issue with my Adorama order and their customer service worked diligently to fix my problem"

Thanks for the feedback re: Adorama Camera- very much appreciated!

However, if you ever have a query or concern regarding Adorama or AdoramaPix, please don't hesitate to contact me directly: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
www.adoramacamera.com (http://www.adoramacamera.com/)

Always nice to see ambassadors from frequented businesses join us here. It definitely helps us consumers have confidence in our purchases. Thanks for the post Helen.

CompuDude
01-21-2009, 13:57
I use local vendors (preferred, but depends on price) such as Samy's Camera or mega chains, then for online, Amazon, B&H, Adorama or Beach Camera (AKA buydig.com). Abe's of Maine is pretty good as well but beware the upsell if you call in an order... they'll push HARD.

Reef Photo is my vendor of choice for underwater-specific hardware that's hard to find elsewhere. Ryan really knows his stuff, too, and will make sure you get items that work together.

All of these vendors can be trusted (with the caveat about Abe's).

LRDWILDER
02-09-2009, 19:49
Calumet Photo.....just about the most knowledgable and great place I've seen so far. About ten locations nationwide, everything from Hasselbalds to HP's.

Bill22
02-18-2009, 10:30
I bought my D300 and 18-55mm Nikkor here at the Navy Exchange. I've bought two Ikelite housings (one for my point and shoot and another when I upgraded to the D300), my Ikelite DS125, and my 60mm Micro-Nikkor all from Helix.

I like Helix Helix Camera & Video (http://www.helixcamera.com/index.html) I've gotten good service from them. No mistakes, prompt shipping, and they always answer emails right away whenever I make enquiry's (which I have on various equipment). They also have knowledgeable people on staff who are underwater photographers and are happy to answer questions.

fanatique
03-24-2009, 23:39
You can't go wrong with B&H, Adorama, Abes of Maine, MPEX, or Calumet. Steer clear of the rest.

Bill22
03-25-2009, 10:21
You can't go wrong with B&H, Adorama, Abes of Maine, MPEX, or Calumet. Steer clear of the rest.

Just curious how can you say "Steer clear of the rest"? You've done business with everyone? and the rest are all bad?

I've had very good experience with Helix. Why would you advise someone to steer clear of them? When I call Helix I can speak to someone who is knowledgeable about underwater photography. Although B&H has good prices and I've occasionally bought something from them if Helix didn't have it, I can't say the same about them.

acamato
03-25-2009, 13:47
If you are visiting NYC and looking to stop by Adorama or B&H. I would visit B&H. They have a much larger showroom (3 floors) and a lot more equipment on display. It is only a few block walk from Penn Station.

Coastie6
05-10-2009, 11:21
Over the years have purchased from the same mentioned; B&H, Adorama, and Abe's of Maine. All have been around a long time and they usually have staff available who have knowledge of UW photo systems.

BubblesMcCoy
05-10-2009, 13:03
Interesting link. Amazon or B&H Photo. While there are probably some reputable dealers in NYC, B&H is the only one I buy from and can recommend. B&H is up front about what is gray market and what is not, unlike some others.

+ 1 on B&H. I've never bought uw gear from them, but all my land cams came from there. A bit more expensive, but you get more knowledge service in return.

jugglematt
05-12-2009, 02:41
all my Ikelite stuff from Reef Photo
all my Inon and other stuff through Yuzo at
UWdigitalcamera.com (http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com/)
fast postage and excellent after sales service, best prices i have found yet

Matt

azdiver
05-13-2009, 18:07
all my Ikelite stuff from Reef Photo
all my Inon and other stuff through Yuzo at
UWdigitalcamera.com (http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com/)
fast postage and excellent after sales service, best prices i have found yet

Matt

I have bought through Yuzo before as well and he's great to work with! Am looking into pricing on some items through Reef as well. Might wind up splitting my order between them.:smilie39::smilie39: