PDA

View Full Version : getting started

BRR@PA
01-20-2009, 17:26
hello eveyone
we are set to take our pool and class training the weekend of feb 20th. followed by a trip to jamaica (negril) we planned on taking our open water dives there. any drawbacks to getting a referal certification in the islands.
will these dives be a glorified resort dive? what type of time limits should I expect or demand? thanks

navyhmc
01-20-2009, 21:39
I can't say for sure about Negril, but from friends that I have had that went to the Caribbean to do their OW check outs, they were pretty comprable to anywhere else. A lot better scenery than a midwest lake, I will tell you that.

Make sure you have your paperworl with you and that you have made contact with the shop/center that will be doing the check out. The things to be aware of is that you will have a little current and maybe some wave action going. Of course the clear water and warm water is a plus.
Usually the ow is done in 30'-40' of water. But they should give you a good pre-dive brief before going under.

Good luck!

BobbyWombat
01-21-2009, 12:05
I think you also need a medical form filled out by your doctor before you can get your C-Card. You should get this from your OW instructor.

If this is still true, you will need to make sure you get your signed medical form back to your OW instructor so that he can issue you a referral for the checkout dives in Jamaica.

MSilvia
01-21-2009, 13:06
The only downside I know of is that the warm water referrals really only prepare you for warm water diving. Depending on where in the US you live, that may not translate well to local conditions if you think you might like diving near home.

fisheater
01-21-2009, 13:37
As MSilvia alluded to, there's a serious doubt that you'll end up becoming an active and skillful diver.

Nothing personal, but statistics show that folks who travel to a warm water location for their initial checkout dives don't usually dive at home, where the water is colder and decidedly unclear. They'll only dive on vacation and, unless they're a Forbes, that'll only be once a year at best. It's hard to get good at something you don't do frequently.

So. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, right now, sign up for a trip or course at home. Learn how to dive in those waters. Learn what your area has to offer. Learn who the other divers there are. Join a local club.

Otherwise, you're not likely to get out of diving what you are probably looking for.

My viewpoint only. YMMV.

And, WELCOME!!

kjvander
01-22-2009, 09:32
the thing that i view as getting certified up here (midwest)...is that if you get comfortable diving in the quarries and lakes with limited visibility...you will be more confident with your navigation and problem solving skills. Then also when you do get to go dive in places like Jamaica or an island it will be that much more enjoyable and that little bit easier...minus the current issues...

Vercingetorix
01-22-2009, 10:04
What is this "warm water" and "visibility" to which you all refer? I've got 50+ dives in Texas quarries and Arkansas lakes which required anything from a 3mm to 7mm FJ. I do have one saltwater dive (Catalina), and it required a 7mm FJ. Any viz over 15 feet is heaven.

BRR@PA
02-25-2009, 08:12
thanks for the input

Noob2Scoob
04-01-2009, 23:18
What is this "warm water" and "visibility" to which you all refer? I've got 50+ dives in Texas quarries and Arkansas lakes which required anything from a 3mm to 7mm FJ. I do have one saltwater dive (Catalina), and it required a 7mm FJ. Any viz over 15 feet is heaven.

someone who knows my pain!

though 15 feet is heaven in my book.... anything over 5-10 is gorgeous :)

check out dives in feb iowa rock quarries FTW!

water temp in the mid 40's! vis measured in INCHES!

terfmop
04-05-2009, 18:29
I was certed in a cold quarry, but I got into diving with the intent of diving locally. I expected the visibility not to be stellar, but thought diving would be fun nonetheless. I viewed travel to gin-clear salty destinations as luxuries. One thing I did to make sure my the cost of my cert wasn't washed away, was to buy my own gear....you invest that much $ into gear, and you want to make sure it gets used (although that reasoning is also taken by many of my clients that buy treadmill that end up as clothes racks).