PDA

View Full Version : buying first gear

BRR@PA
01-20-2009, 17:29
getting started with pool and class training,should i by a package fin mask snork rig about 100 or buy individual. upon shoppin it seems th fins are a large range. what type of fins for beginner

medic001918
01-20-2009, 17:38
The type of fin comes down to personal preference. If you can find a package that has what you want, go for it. Keep in mind that a package is a series of items that someone else thinks go together. It might not be what you want or what you need or want.

I prefer a nice simple black mask with a neoprene strap on it. It's more comfortable and doesn't need adjusting once it's set.

For fins, I use open heel fins since I dive where it's cold and in a dry suit most often. I've had split fins, but find that a nice wide paddle fin allows me more control and let's me get away with different kick's to help me control myself and propel myself. I'm a fan of the ScubaPro Jet fins with a nice spring strap. They're well priced and last forever, on top of being negatively buoyant. There are many exact copies of this same fin. If you use open hell fins, you'll need boots as well. Choose a comfortable, well fitting boot in a thickness that matches where you'll be doing your diving.

For a snorkel, a basic snorkel is fine. Most divers don't dive with one after they're certified anyway, so I wouldn't spend a great deal of money on it.

Good luck and enjoy your class. You're in for an awesome time.

Shane

MSilvia
01-21-2009, 10:21
If you fill in some more information in your profile, we can give you better advice. You live in the United States... that could mean you need appropriate gear for Alaska, or it could mean you need appropriate gear for the Virgin Islands.

shawnwill36
01-21-2009, 10:36
getting started with pool and class training,should i by a package fin mask snork rig about 100 or buy individual. upon shoppin it seems th fins are a large range. what type of fins for beginner

i would go for the tusa liberators or oceanic vectors for about 25 bucks. they are a good fin and due to the split fins coming out you can get them dirt cheap. as for snorkel and mask i would buy a combo that way when you upgrade, you will have back ups

bubbletrubble
01-21-2009, 10:58

People have been doling out good advice here.

For the mask, just make sure it fits your face. Ask for help if you don't know how to do this.
For the snorkel, get something basic and inexpensive. You'll probably hate yourself if you go for one of those $50 "dry" snorkels. Include a snorkel keeper in your purchase.
For fins, get a pair of inexpensive blade fins. If you really get into the sport, you'll certainly be getting another pair at a later date. Since we don't know whether you're doing warm or cold water diving, we can't advise you on getting closed heel vs. open heel fins.
Don't be afraid to borrow/try out gear from dive buddies. It might save you from making bad scuba purchases.

Have fun.

DMWiz
01-21-2009, 11:03
Buy a simple, middle of the road mask that seals well against your face (since you probably don't have much of a frame of reference) you should ask the instructor you're taking classes from to assist you with this.

Also buy a simple pair of fins w/o any gimmicks. Depending on where you are in the USA you may want to wear open heel fins and neoprene boots instead of full foot fins. Split fins are easier on the leg while paddle fins take some time to get used to if you haven't used fins before.

A simple J tube type snorkel will do just fine too.

You could easily spend $100 on a "package" and have to replace it all or you could spend $100 on each item and end up replacing it as well. The price of the items does not always translate into performance. Make sure it fits you and you're comfortable with it. Most shops will let you exchange it while you're taking your classes. Ask your instructor for help in choosing your gear.

DMWiz
01-21-2009, 11:07
BTW, if you have specific questions about an specific item I'd be glad to answer your questions.

Vercingetorix
01-21-2009, 11:45
I actually did my OW with an inexpensive $25 mask-snorkel package that I bough on-line (not ST, because i didn't know about ST at the time). I bought the fins separately at ST.

Were I to do it over, I'd buy the items separately at my LDS, which just happens to be ST.

USF_Diver
01-22-2009, 15:50
I would try the mask on at a shop that had decent name brand mask since some peoples faces don't fit well in some mask.

Can't go wrong with a good package deal you normally save some money with package deals.

I also would suggest the Tusa Liberators they don't cost much and are decent fins.

BRR@PA
02-25-2009, 08:14
thanks for info