PDA

View Full Version : do resort course give the basics

BRR@PA
01-20-2009, 17:37
my girl and i are set to start training ,we have dived in jamaica and dominican,one course was 11/2 hour the other 10 mins. dives went well no problems, had a ball. question ?? enjoyed a lot, ready to train, do 2 resort dives set us down the right path?

medic001918
01-20-2009, 17:46
Any class isn't defined by if it's a resort class, or a class taught at a shop. The deciding factor for how good any class is the instructor. If the instructor is good, you'll have a good class and learn all that you're supposed to learn and then some. Just remember though, that when you get your C-Card it's more like a learners permit. It means you've covered a very minimum standard. There's still a great deal of information that you have yet to learn. The best way to continue your progression is to get out there and dive. With diving, your abilities should progress. Continue to take different classes. You should take something from each class and it's a chance to dive. There's never a bad reason to take one.

Enjoy your diving and ask questions. There's a wealth of information on these forums for you to learn from.

Shane

BRR@PA
01-20-2009, 17:56
shane,thanks for your reply.we are both getting jazzed up.trying to not get ahead of ourself or spend too much$ too soon.
are you enjoying the cabellas shop? my co's hq is in east hart get up there 3-4 times a year

medic001918
01-20-2009, 18:01
I do enjoy Cabela's. It's only a couple of miles from my house. It's huge with a good selection and good prices. The only thing I don't like is that it's difficult to get there when there's an event going on at the stadium.

East Hartford's a nice town...at least it's close to enough for around here. What company do you work for if you don't mind me asking?

Shane

BRR@PA
01-20-2009, 18:21
nefco it is a mech elec supply house in philly we are strut service

BRR@PA
02-25-2009, 08:16
have been in comunication with resort to set up OW dive looks like a new shop so th equip may be better than expected

CompuDude
02-25-2009, 13:40
Question: Are you taking a "resort course" meaning a quickie intro after which they lead you on some shallow dives, always closely supervised by the instructor? Or are you simply referring to a full Open Water Scuba Certification course that you happen to be taking at a dive shop that is affiliated with a resort?

There's a huge difference between those two courses.